US Sprinter van fans rejoice, MB will sell it directly

WorkingOnIt

US Sprinter van fans rejoice, MB will sell it directly

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:45 pm

A search on "sprinter" reveals some affection for the van on the forum.

U.S. customers will finally be able to buy a Sprinter with a Mercedes, rather than Dodge, grill.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 68498264/1

(bad news for all those selling aftermarket MB grills and badges on ebay)
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Re: US Sprinter van fans rejoice, MB will sell it directly

Post by NormLarson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Mixed feelings on that one ....  All of mine were initially serviced at the Freightliner dealer as the Dodge dealers were not up to speed.  I see the same issue with the Mercedes Dealers, that and their tech's will be just a bit more expensive.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 pm

You can still go to Freightliner. Biggest issue I ever saw with them were the diesel. It's fuel filter clogged regularly. REALLY have to watch where you get the fuel at and if its low sulfur or not.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm

[quote="Driver"]
You can still go to Freightliner. Biggest issue I ever saw with them were the diesel. It's fuel filter clogged regularly. REALLY have to watch where you get the fuel at and if its low sulfur or not.
[/quote]

Actually, Ken, I had to argue all the way up the Dodge ladder to get Freightliner to service my vans.  They are under directive that if it came with a Dodge emblem that they can't touch it for warranty issues.

And yes, I stock the fuel filters in the office.  Another one is oil filters since the local Jiffy type lubes NEVER carry the filters.  Three of mine are for survey field crews that always work in dusty environments, so, we also stock the pollen filter or the air conditioning  gradually quits functioning.  The other two never see that kind of dust and the air conditioning is just not an issue.

Last edited by NormLarson on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

That sucks Norm.  I remember the one you brought to WCA last year and riding back from the museum in it. They are good rides.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:15 am

Jesus, don't get me going about Sprinter Vans. Got several of them. Great vans but the dealer network sucks. The closest to me is a crook and I am currently suing them, (got 6 freaking lawsuits going right now for delinquent accounts plus this. My lawer loves me) next closest is honest but useless with only two techs that are crap. The only decent one is 50+ miles away.

I just bought another Ford 350 Turbo diesel last week. Out of all the Fords I have, they have casued me the least trouble. I just scrapped (cash for clunkers) an old Ford diesel with well over 300,000 miles that ran perfect. Broke my heart to get rif of it but it did look like poop. I have a bunch of Chevy 3500 vans that are junk at 150,000+ miles. I have a 2002 in my yard that is "dead".

I had high hopes for the Sprinters but the sh1t dealer network killed that dream. Now, I will have over quarter million invested in them and I am stuck with crap or no service. Still love the vans though,... when they are running.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 am

Sorry to hear your frustrations Pete, I actually have had my issues with the Dodge dealer network up here also.  All in all, it has gotten much better in the last few years.  They do get good mileage (driver dependent) and I haven't had any thing major happen.  Well other than my drivers running the roofs into one of the numerous latte stands that we have here.  We have the wicked combination of less than bikini :drool: espresso, stands with roofs and all high roof Sprinters :doh: ... it was inevitable

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am

MB dealers should be OK, the MB Workshop Information Software (WIS) that I have covers sprinter vans so what could possibly go wrong !

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 pm

At the Dodge dealer here in town, well one of 3, there was only ONE mechanic certified to perform Sprinter service! Even something as simple as a oil change. That's probably part of it. Dealerships too cheap to send mechanics to training.

John H

Post by John H » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 pm

I love my sprinter......it's the total dogs bollox

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 am

http://www.ttnews.com/articles/lmtbase.aspx?storyid=565

"A new company, Daimler Vans USA, LLC, is being established to oversee sales and service of the Sprinter for both Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner....
Separate Daimler Vans locations will be set up in about 100 Mercedes-Benz automobile dealerships in and around key markets to sell the Sprinter, Day said.  He added that M-B dealerships will service the vans.
About 45 Freightliner dealers currently sell the van, Day said."

meanwhile:
“Chrysler Group, Fiat and Iveco are exploring bringing additional light commercial vehicle product offerings to North America including the Fiat Ducato and Iveco Daily,” Elshoff said.

[img width=362 height=245]http://www.1st-4-vans.co.uk/img/Vehicle ... anel01.jpg[/img]

Also re: the smaller Ford Transit Connect in the U.S.:
"The company sold 2,000 in the first full month on the market and vehicles are selling after fewer than 10 days on the lot."
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm

That link has a VERY interesting engine mentioned.  Having the intake manifolds on the outside of the engine, with the exhaust manifold running down the middle is pure genius.  :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 pm

I saw a article a couple of years ago on a new diesel from another (Big 3) that would do just that.  Ran the exhaust straight out the back of the block. Mercedes isn't the only one rethinking. Considering they plan on sticking the turbo right in the middle it makes all the sense in the world If your running a V configuration. Getting a leak would blow though.... :)