Massa suffers serious injury - helmet strike by Barrichello's broken suspension

Bruce Fielding

Re: Massa suffers serious injury - helmet strike by Barrichello's broken suspension

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="wasp"]
[quote="wisp"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Not recommended in tunnel areas...!

[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

The internal visor on the Schuberth (and I presume the Nolan) just flips up one handed so you can jump between dark and light really easily. Had mine for about a month and think it's excellent
[/quote]

Oh. My sunnies are photochromic. Not instantly fast at adjusting but then we don't have too many road tunnels in NZ. Especially without lights in them.

[/quote]

No photochromatic will change fast enough for tunnels...

Try one. It's one of those 'turning left' moments. You'll never be happy turning right again...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

CalScot

Re: Massa suffers serious injury - helmet strike by Barrichello's broken suspens

Post by CalScot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:25 pm

[quote="jon b"]
There comes a time when you think about your options. This reality is just another reason for me to consider other options. How much have I driven the atom in the last year - oh maybe a few hundred miles....The reality isn't about whether I'm man enough to drive an Atom ;)
[/quote]

I think many of us go through the same thought process, especially when you have a family.

Several years ago, I was a real adrenalin nut case. I was into everything extreme. Not to mention that I was making a living as a Sat Diver in the North Sea ang going offshore in a helicopter every month or so. It never really occured to me I was burning the candle at both ends. I had a few horrific motorcycle crashes when I was a teenager and apparantly it had only made me worse. During my escapades I had a really scary crash in the hang glider, The kind your sure your going to die. I had a couple of near death calls when diving. On retrospect, the list of close calls was quite extensive across all the daft stuff I did.

Then the kids came along and life changed. Slowly at first. The wife did not want to stop me being me but they have a way of "influencing" you over time. The subtle comments about danger, risk and a family with no father. It all takes it's toll. Not to mention the changing responsibilities you feel within yourself as a father and husband. Slowly at first, I started to spend more time at Home Depot than flying on my time off. I started to transition to a safer way of making a living. I got rid of the bike as that was going to kill me for sure. I basically got rid of everything "fun" and became a great golfer and fisherman and my house & garden was perfect. My wife was happy, I was safe and all was well in suburbia for several years.

Then, almost overnight, I snapped. I suddenly realized I was like a caged bird. I needed excitement and the adrenalin rush. It was part of who I am. It was not easy to get a balance back in my life. I had swung so far to the "normal" side of life it was tough to find a way back. The Atom was a part of my journey back to "normal". I am still working on the rest of it. Every weekend I almost buy another bike. I marvel at the local hang gliding pilots soaring over Lake Elsinore and I yearn for a balance in life that seems so hard to find.

The two recent accidents in racing really bring many questions about risk in motorsports and in an Atom. The biggest risk is forgetting who you are and what makes you tick. Life wrapped up in a ball of cotton wool might be safe, but it's no life!

Hedge

Re: Massa suffers serious injury - helmet strike by Barrichello's broken suspens

Post by Hedge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Calscott

Superb post.

Cheers, Hedge

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
Then, almost overnight, I snapped. I suddenly realized I was like a caged bird. I needed excitement and the adrenalin rush.
[/quote]

Welcome to the classic mid-life crisis!

I think that one wakes up one day and asks... "Is this it? Is this the best it's ever going to get?" And if the the answer is "Yes" then there is one more question. "Am I OK with that?" If the answer is "Yes", you don't have that awful crisis and carry on with your life as it is. If the answer is "No", then say hello to a return to a more extreme lifestyle and all the concomitant problems that that can carry with it.

Personally, I'm still waiting to grow up... and a couple of freak accidents involving professionals who spend almost every day in cars at the racetrack won't change my attitude to driving my Atom one jot.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

jon b

Post by jon b » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
[quote="jon b"]
There comes a time when you think about your options. This reality is just another reason for me to consider other options. How much have I driven the atom in the last year - oh maybe a few hundred miles....The reality isn't about whether I'm man enough to drive an Atom ;)
[/quote]

I think many of us go through the same thought process, especially when you have a family.

Several years ago, I was a real adrenalin nut case. I was into everything extreme. Not to mention that I was making a living as a Sat Diver in the North Sea ang going offshore in a helicopter every month or so. It never really occured to me I was burning the candle at both ends. I had a few horrific motorcycle crashes when I was a teenager and apparantly it had only made me worse. During my escapades I had a really scary crash in the hang glider, The kind your sure your going to die. I had a couple of near death calls when diving. On retrospect, the list of close calls was quite extensive across all the daft stuff I did.

Then the kids came along and life changed. Slowly at first. The wife did not want to stop me being me but they have a way of "influencing" you over time. The subtle comments about danger, risk and a family with no father. It all takes it's toll. Not to mention the changing responsibilities you feel within yourself as a father and husband. Slowly at first, I started to spend more time at Home Depot than flying on my time off. I started to transition to a safer way of making a living. I got rid of the bike as that was going to kill me for sure. I basically got rid of everything "fun" and became a great golfer and fisherman and my house & garden was perfect. My wife was happy, I was safe and all was well in suburbia for several years.

Then, almost overnight, I snapped. I suddenly realized I was like a caged bird. I needed excitement and the adrenalin rush. It was part of who I am. It was not easy to get a balance back in my life. I had swung so far to the "normal" side of life it was tough to find a way back. The Atom was a part of my journey back to "normal". I am still working on the rest of it. Every weekend I almost buy another bike. I marvel at the local hang gliding pilots soaring over Lake Elsinore and I yearn for a balance in life that seems so hard to find.

The two recent accidents in racing really bring many questions about risk in motorsports and in an Atom. The biggest risk is forgetting who you are and what makes you tick. Life wrapped up in a ball of cotton wool might be safe, but it's no life!

[/quote]

Its good to know what others have experienced  :tu:.

I've never really been into extreme stuff, really not my bag but I appreciate there are a lot of people who need their adrenalin fix  :tu:.  Personally, I love cars - the technology, engineering and, critically, the quality of feel/ feedback.....but this diminishes over time.  I have been here before, a number of times ..... considering the buzz vs the risk.  The Atom certainly gives a buzz - probably unlike any other car ever created but this  diminishes over time.  

When i get in the Atom i'm looking to enjoy the experience.  On the right day, with the right weather - there is nothing like it  :tu:  But the reality is, those days are so few and far between now.  I have done the same "favourite" drives god knows how many times but the weather and traffic rarely allow me to enjoy.  My RS gives me nearly as much of a buzz as the atom but is so much more enjoyable from its qulaity of feel  .... steering, gearbox, weighting of the pedals ....its a very special, rare,  car

Getting back OT.  Your head is very definitely exposed in an Atom, similar to impact potential on a bike except you're lower down. So is the diminshed buzz worth the risk......a point i need to ponder

I may sell my immaculate Atom 2 300 and delay the 3 so I can decide what i want to do  

jon b

Post by jon b » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:57 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="CalScot"]
Then, almost overnight, I snapped. I suddenly realized I was like a caged bird. I needed excitement and the adrenalin rush.
[/quote]

Welcome to the classic mid-life crisis!

[/quote]

This usually involves buying an extreme toy that you haven't had before - to fill a gap in your life.  Thing is, I did that about 10 years ago, way before midlife  ;D

MonsieurX

Re: Massa suffers serious injury - helmet strike by Barrichello's broken suspension

Post by MonsieurX » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:25 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

Not recommended in tunnel areas...!

[/quote]

Au contraire... I love it... The longuer the tunnel the warpier ;)

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I think it may be that people with them could be taking the Atom for granted a little. Thus the thoughts of selling and delaying etc...  It's still safer than 80% of the other vehicles out there you might drive. The weak spot being the exposure of your face. That's easily remedied with a helmet/hans. Doubtful you'll be doing 125+mph when hitting something like Massa. One just doesn't spend that amount of time at those speeds in a Atom.

My father broke his femur IN a hospital four days ago. He was already under a fall prevention watch and still managed to do that just getting out of bed to go to the bathroom like he had done 3 other times in the same day. Instead of coming home last Saturday now he has a month of hospital, nursing facility and rehab he has to go through. I say this because some things are just unavoidable, you just can't prepare for them (and even if you do it still happens). If you are one of those that are going to sell your Atom then you also need to sell your bicycles, motorbikes, airplanes, climbing gear, skis, boats, canoes, kayaks, etc.. because they all share the same risks (if not more). And stay indoors at someone else's house (most accidents happen in your home after all).  Don't forget to wear floaties when you go swimming also. If your house has 2 floors or a basement then you need to sell it because of the stairs and go single level up on a hill (flood prevention) and reinforce all the walls with concrete (monsoon, tornadoes & hurricanes) and the roof with steel (collapse from snow)... Just about EVERYTHING has a risk, manage them and LIVE your life.
Last edited by Driver on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Just about EVERYTHING has a risk, manage them and LIVE your life.
[/quote]

I wonder how many people in this thread smoke?  There are probably guys in this thread that smoke with their helmets on

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Fear keeps you alive.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jon b

Post by jon b » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Look you lot, get a life and go do something more extreme  ;D
I have a very good life but thankyou for your heartfelt concern anyway :laugh:

jon b

Post by jon b » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I think it may be that people with them could be taking the Atom for granted a little. Thus the thoughts of selling and delaying etc...  It's still safer than 80% of the other vehicles out there you might drive. The weak spot being the exposure of your face. That's easily remedied with a helmet/hans. Doubtful you'll be doing 125+mph when hitting something like Massa. One just doesn't spend that amount of time at those speeds in a Atom.

My father broke his femur IN a hospital four days ago. He was already under a fall prevention watch and still managed to do that just getting out of bed to go to the bathroom like he had done 3 other times in the same day. Instead of coming home last Saturday now he has a month of hospital, nursing facility and rehab he has to go through. I say this because some things are just unavoidable, you just can't prepare for them (and even if you do it still happens). If you are one of those that are going to sell your Atom then you also need to sell your bicycles, motorbikes, airplanes, climbing gear, skis, boats, canoes, kayaks, etc.. because they all share the same risks (if not more). And stay indoors at someone else's house (most accidents happen in your home after all).  Don't forget to wear floaties when you go swimming also. If your house has 2 floors or a basement then you need to sell it because of the stairs and go single level up on a hill (flood prevention) and reinforce all the walls with concrete (monsoon, tornadoes & hurricanes) and the roof with steel (collapse from snow)... Just about EVERYTHING has a risk, manage them and LIVE your life.
[/quote]

oh just wanted to add, what a load of bollocks but thanks for the laugh  :tu:

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm

[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Driver"]

[/quote]

oh just wanted to add, what a load of bollocks but thanks for the laugh  :tu:

In fairness to Jon here, (and personally I enjoy calling him a cock) I don't believe for a second that he sits in this camp. He is driven by other factors. I have seem him round Spa and he's not too shabby and certainly not afraid. Nobody comes out of Eau Rouge at 110 mph in an Atom who has their mind on other things!

Cheers,

Stuart
[/quote]
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:42 am

Close sources of mine suggest Kubica is likely to replace Massa in longer term if he isnt back - with Schuey doing next few races, as press are suggesting.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 am

Here are very telling forces involved in both accidents from a auto website:

So just how hard did Massa and Surtees get hit? 

kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

- 9mm handgun: 513 joules
- .44 Magnum handgun: 1,510 joules
- The spring that hit Massa (800 grams at 160 mph): 2,046 joules
- AK-47 (7.62mm round): 2,599 joules
- The wheel that killed Henry Surtees (an estimated 12 kg at 120 mph): 17,267 joules

Essentially Massa got hit with the force of a bullet. Its amazing how far helmet techonology has gotten.
Poor Surtees, did not even have a chance. The forces involved are incredible.

fiesty