Henry Surtees RIP

Bruce Fielding

Henry Surtees RIP

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/8160144.stm

My neighbour was the trauma doc at the London Hospital where Henry was taken.

It looked like such a small tap from that loose wheel, but it really wasn't pleasant and despite her being a hardened A&E veteran, it totally shook her up.

Having said that, it was a total fluke and you can't really account for - or legislate for - flukes.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

jon b

Re: Henry Surtees RIP

Post by jon b » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:07 am

Absolutely bloody awful, heard about this last night after reading an article on Jonathan Palmer (who I used to work with a little, through some events I organised).  As you may know Jonathan's company owns Brands - so it was a bit of a shock to read about safety at the circuit then for to hear about this.  Of course this is two deaths at this circuit soon after one another - horrible - but of course nothing to do with the circuit itself

It seems like a very similar incident to Senna i.e. the whole wheel and suspension arms detached and impacted the drivers head at high speed.  Bruce do you know if the suspension arm went through the helmet/ visor?

The whole incident makes me feel sick and I really can't imagine how devastated John Surtees must be feeling  :'(

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:09 am

Just want to add - this is just another area that makes me think about continuing to own an Atom :(

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:57 am

It's a one in a million... you should worry more about living so close to the airport!

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:04 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
It's a one in a million... you should worry more about living so close to the airport!
[/quote]

I think the realities are the other way around.  Chances of a similar incident in an Atom on the road are far higher than part/ whole of an aircraft landing on my house

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 pm

[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

I think the realities are the other way around.  Chances of a similar incident in an Atom on the road are far higher than part/ whole of an aircraft landing on my house
[/quote]

...but not greater than you and your family inhaling unusually high levels of aviation fuel...

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 pm

[quote="jon b"]
Bruce do you know if the suspension arm went through the helmet/ visor?
[/quote]

I don't know.

...and if I did, I wouldn't say...

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

...but not greater than you and your family inhaling unusually high levels of aviation fuel...
[/quote]

...but not as great as the shite you breath in every day where you live  ;)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 am

Eurosport 2 showed the race after the WTCC qualy, one of those accidents worse than it looked.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:31 am

[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="jon b"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...but not as great as the shite you breath in every day where you live  ;)
[/quote]

Fair point!

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:45 pm

My mate is off to the funeral, Torro Rosso reserve driver now thanks to the unfair sacking of Bourdais, he said on facebook that Henry was 'super quick' and going to 'make it' some day.