Aston Martin Cygnet Concept(iQ concept)

Jimmer210

Re: Aston Martin Cygnet Concept(iQ concept)

Post by Jimmer210 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 am

Why 'o why 'o why 'o have they done this?? Makes me feel a little sick in my stomach!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:32 am

Overall model line up emissions rules.

In the next couple of years manufacturers will be required to meet different emission regulation. By producing this, Aston remains able to make less 'green' cars i.e. ones that are actually fun and sound great.

Suck it up. Everyone will be at it..
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Jimmer210

Post by Jimmer210 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 am

So they can get around the emission regulation by producing one car that passes? Nice loop hole if you can slide through it.. Just wonder how long it will be open for!!  :D
Last edited by Jimmer210 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 am

[quote="Jimmer210"]
So they can get around teh emission regulation by producing one car that passes? Nice loop hole if you can slide through it.. Just wonder how long it will be open for!!  :D
[/quote]

No I think / expect it will be worked out by total emissions of total car sales.  Otherwise they would be making an Aston G whizz and pricing it at £2M

Ben

Jimmer210

Post by Jimmer210 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 am

This from a mate of mine in the industry
'The aston thing is good. Basically OEMs get penalised for havgin too high an average, so if they can knock out a few 10,000 small cars, they are OK. Its the same with LandRover, Jag etc'....

I also see they are only starting to sell the Cygnet to existing Aston owners.. Guess that will keep up the price point!

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:06 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Overall model line up emissions rules.

In the next couple of years manufacturers will be required to meet different emission regulation. By producing this, Aston remains able to make less 'green' cars i.e. ones that are actually fun and sound great.

Suck it up. Everyone will be at it..
[/quote]

That's fine, perhaps even a good thing, and I realize that development resources are tight, but one just wishes that a beloved marque could find a more distinctive way to accomplish it than a re-badged Toyota.

Here's an overview of Regulation (EC) No 443/2009 on CO2 emmissions.
"the fleet average to be achieved by all cars registered in the EU is 130 grams per kilometre (g/km). A so-called limit value curve implies that heavier cars are allowed higher emissions than lighter cars while preserving the overall fleet average...
in 2012, 65% of each manufacturer's newly registered cars must comply on average with the limit value curve set by the legislation. This will rise to 75% in 2013, 80% in 2014, and 100% from 2015 onwards.....a target of 95g/km is specified for the year 2020."

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Apparently we're still on schedule to get a Scion badged version in the U.S. in 2011

http://www.scion.com/#/iQ
Wall Street Journal: Scion Hopes Two New Models Counter Slump
Good luck with that.
Production and concept versions that were shown at New York Auto Show)
Image Image

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 pm

I just realized what the Cynet reminds me of...

Image Image

I remember when Dodge was selling the Sprinter van in the U.S., there was quite the thriving business on ebay selling replacement Mercedes grills and badges.
I wonder how long before someone starts offering Aston front facia knock-offs to iQ owners.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:41 pm

[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
I remember when Dodge was selling the Sprinter van in the U.S., there was quite the thriving business on ebay selling replacement Mercedes grills and badges.
I wonder how long before someone starts offering Aston front facia knock-offs to iQ owners.
[/quote]

I suspect they will be available before the Cygnet.

wattie

Post by wattie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 pm

You'd have to be seriously deranged to buy this.....I don't care if it says "Aston Martin" on the bonnet or not. Buy the Toyota, save the cash and your credibility.
Ridiculous......actually, now I think about it, the Toyota is  called "IQ" and this is clearly part of the test to define stupidity.
Cheers Wattie