Electric Vehicles

WorkingOnIt

Electric Vehicles

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Can't keep track of all the announced electric vehicles without a scorecard?

Someone's obliged with a scorecard - covers 2, 3 and 4 wheels.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/plug-in-ve ... acker.html

I see 2 motorcycles, better looking than the Enertia, same or better specs, cheaper, available now.
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store ... cycles.php
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php

The tracker does not seem to include turnkey conversions.  If you're feeling left out of the Mini E trial, the company that provides much of the technology will sell you an electric Scion for $55,000 plus an xB donor.  Similar specs to the Mini and you get to keep the rear seats.
http://acpropulsion.com/ebox/index.php

tarsman013

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by tarsman013 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 pm

the electric motorsports bike was the #1 at the Isle of Man race in England
it was of course modified haha
the modded enertia (or whatever they called it) was 3rd

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:13 pm

^You mean it came in turd. ;D  Hey,it's podium!

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 am

[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
I see 2 motorcycles, better looking than the Enertia, same or better specs, cheaper, available now.[/quote]

One of the rules of the game is that if you start later, you'll have had your competitors make all the 1-off mistakes and you'll be able to buy the expensive parts (batteries, motor(s), etc.) because the R&D has already been done and they're now generally available parts. Which your older competitors probably aren't using, as they're designed around older technology.

The only problem with arriving late to the party is that patents may have been issued, which you'll need to either license, lobby to have overturned, or the least preferable "see ya in court".

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 pm

A fairly popular web magazine just posted this.

http://www.nextautos.com/brammo-enertia ... Nextscreen

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:03 am

The more I see the Enertia against its competition the worse it looks.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 am

brammo better not ramp up production yet... :td:

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm

GM says that using the EPA draft guidelines for plug-in hybrids, the Volt will be rated at 230 mpg city.
(40 mile electric range, 300 mile total range)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/200 ... volt_N.htm

Here are some driving impressions of the Volt and Nissan electric test mules from earlier in the year.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/rev ... look_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/rev ... view_N.htm

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Other electric news:

Tesla says it's turning a profit, but how long will it last?

Jay Leno's new show to feature celebs racing electric cars

Jay Leno, Uncensored, Uncut, on Everything From His Responsibility to Local Affiliates, to Why He Won't Have a Lot of Music Acts Perform, to Why He's Not Nervous. (His Answer to That Last One: Because 'I'm Rich')
QUESTION: Can you talk about the bigger set that you
have. Are there opportunities for things that you
couldn't do before that you can do now?

JAY LENO: Yes. Something we have -- we have something.
One of my favorite shows, English shows, "Top Gear," and
there's an homage to that show. We built a racetrack
right next to the studio. We're going to do something
called "the green car challenge." You know, all
celebrities talk about being green. We want to see who
is green and fast. And we are working with a major
manufacturer now. They are building us some really,
really high-powered electric cars. They are as fast as
any race cars. And we will take the celebrity, put them
in the car, have them do a lap on the track and see who
is the fastest. They will have in-car cameras in there.
They can plow into a light post. They could roll the
thing. But I've told it to a number of stars, and in
fact, even Tom Cruise called and said, "Can I get in
there early and practice?" I said, "No, nobody gets to
practice. We put you in the car, and you try it out." I
mean, the fun thing about it, there are a lot of people
who -- people want to see, maybe perhaps athletes and
people like this that are not necessarily good talkers
but would be fun in this sort of environment to see if
Shaquille O'Neil is faster than Cameron Diaz.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I am so sick of e-lectric bullshit.. people can't keep their gas tanks full.        How the F*$# are they gonna deal with NO fuel available once they leave the comfort of their home-plug and run out of power??
Nobody is gonna be able to bring them a gallon of electricity.... I can see it now...millions of people stranded 100 miles from home because they were told the range of their new e-lectric car is 100 miles and they are too stupid to figure out they will have to get HOME with that same charge. ::)

Diesels are the viable alternative to gas cars, readily available and ALL the infrastructure for their use is in place,today! They get 65mpg,last forever and have been in Europe for decades!

Why doesn't anyone get it?  :-\

Meanwhile,Toyletota is getting filthy stinking rich selling the Penis to every American tree humper believing they are doing Mother Earth this giant big favor by buying one and then driving the wheels off it... >:(

Now Mama Obama want to ramp up production of the plug-in car...hoo boy.

Trillions more down the drain.

Saw a bumper sticker the other day...."I'll keep my money...you can keep the change"    Amen.

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Diesels are the viable alternative to gas cars, readily available and ALL the infrastructure for their use is in place,today! They get 65mpg,last forever and have been in Europe for decades!

Why doesn't anyone get it?  :-\
[/quote]

Mostly because "clean diesel" is almost as much of a myth as "clean coal". Its emissions are off the charts compared to gasoline, as anyone who lives in a major European city can attest to. Better to have less emissions at the tailpipe and to burn the "unclean" fuels in big power plants where you can better regulate and contain the emissions, hence the focus on electric and hydrogen cars.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Oh,I get it. Build a better mouse trap.Make it green and spend trillions of dollars to do it while you are at it. Problem is,emissions are emissions,and cleaning them up at the electric plants is nothing more than playing the "out of sight,out of mind" game.

I'm not saying to give up on electricity for vehicle power,it's just not as ready as politicians and car companies would have the masses believe.

Hybrids are not the answer. They create all sorts of enviormental problems with battery construction and disposal. They have a very large carbon footprint.

Diesels are the answer. Just ask the millions of people who have been using them for many years and miles.

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:11 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Oh,I get it. Build a better mouse trap.Make it green and spend trillions of dollars to do it while you are at it. Problem is,emissions are emissions,and cleaning them up at the electric plants is nothing more than playing the "out of sight,out of mind" game.

I'm not saying to give up on electricity for vehicle power,it's just not as ready as politicians and car companies would have the masses believe.

Hybrids are not the answer. They create all sorts of enviormental problems with battery construction and disposal. They have a very large carbon footprint.

Diesels are the answer. Just ask the millions of people who have been using them for many years and miles.
[/quote]

I agree with you on pretty much all counts except for that diesels are "the answer". The transportation industry as a whole is in such a state of flux and upheaval right now that there is no readily identifiable panacea. All we know is that the oil is running out, and when it is gone we should have something else in place to rely on.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Yes,yes,yes...we are running out of oil. So,in the meantime let's all conserve,and the diesel does this TODAY,with zero cost to engineer.Zero.It already exists. I don't know why Americans are so reluctant to use a diesel. They are very torquey,quiet and run forever on a gallon of fuel.  Meanwhile,we can progress toward 100% clean,solar,wind,tidal produced electric cars. Probably not in my lifetime is what I am guessing...

Diesels are available NOW! The problem is,too many politicians are looking too far ahead, and have no plan for TODAY,only a hope for tomorrow.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:26 am

[quote="Curator"]
I don't know why Americans are so reluctant to use a diesel....
[/quote]

That one is easy.  General Motors so tainted the reputation of diesel engines in the late 1970s and early 1980s that Mercedes couldn't even sell a diesel here for 15 years.
They rushed an Oldsmobile gasoline block into service with virtually no modification, to try to catch onto a trend, and set new records for unreliability.

September 13, 1977
Today in History: GM Makes Diesel a Dirty Word

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2007/09/today-in-hist-2/
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.