Swedes to take back Saab?

WorkingOnIt

Swedes to take back Saab?

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Not confirmed, but could this be the return of quirky?

Financial Times: Koenigsegg marked for Saab purchase

Wall Street Journal  not impressed:
FOCUS: Koenigsegg Seems Unlikely Bed Fellow For GM's Saab

WorkingOnIt

Re: Swedes to take back Saab?

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:03 am

New investors face tough road ahead to right Saab

"Somehow, a consortium of investors led by custom sports car maker Koenigsegg Automotive AB must restore Saab to the quirky, cutting edge and reliable brand once favored by professionals who wanted to look smart rather than wealthy.
"We ran out of money just on the eve of launching the newest generation of Saabs, which we think will be outstanding," [GM CEO Fritz Henderson] wrote, adding that GM will continue to make vehicles for the new company as well as provide engines, transmissions and other technology.
"Without being too rude about it, GM sucked all the brand value out of it," [IHS analyst] Urquhart said. "

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 am

I am not a particular fan if SAAB cars and think they should have gone bust 10 years ago but I do agree that when a manufacturer gets bought out by one if the top three (GM, Ford etc) you are doomed to become a boring, watered down vision of your former self. Just look at Volvo and tell me that the stunning horbery designed V70 doesn't now look like an ugly japenese car. That's what happens.....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 am

[quote="jon b"]
I am not a particular fan if SAAB cars and think they should have gone bust 10 years ago but I do agree that when a manufacturer gets bought out by one if the top three (GM, Ford etc) you are doomed to become a boring, watered down vision of your former self. Just look at Volvo and tell me that the stunning horbery designed V70 doesn't now look like an ugly japenese car. That's what happens.....
[/quote]

The V70 doesn't look like an ugly Japanese car.

I never liked saabs but I like that they existed. And I like that they'll be (mostly) swedish owned.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could buy Vauxhall back and have a proper British car company?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:46 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I never liked saabs but I like that they existed. And I like that they'll be (mostly) swedish owned.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could buy Vauxhall back and have a proper British car company?
[/quote]

I have always liked Saabs a lot but their current line up is hopelessly out of date compared to German and even Swedish rivals.

Vauxhall are much less deserving of being saved than Rover and we all know how that ended.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:52 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Vauxhall are much less deserving of being saved than Rover and we all know how that ended.

[/quote]

Why less deserving?

And they were proper British unlike practically every other mass market manufacturer bar the BL companies.

We could even return to the distinctive 'septum' look that distinguished Vauxhalls.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:26 pm

The new V70 is only a shadow of it's former self. It's lost most if it's strong shoulder design cues and looks like the main form has melted. Certainly looks jap to me- a real step backwards. Shame :(

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Rough sledding so far...

Spyker posts fresh loss, trims Saab target
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE67P1E120100827

"The stock has lost two-thirds of its value since Spyker announced the deal to buy Saab in January.
But Spyker Chief Executive Victor Muller said the company had sufficient liquidity and would not have to recapitalise despite reporting negative shareholders' equity."