Ferrari's departure from F1? surely not..............your thoughts please

wisp

Re: Ferrari's departure from F1? surely not..............your thoughts please

Post by wisp » Wed May 13, 2009 2:32 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
But you are suggesting that Ferrari don't need F1 as they have the A1GP engine supply contract as if those two are even remotely comparable. 
[/quote]
They don't need either if that's their decision. However if they do leave F1 they can still get mileage from being involved in A1. Do you even know what the A1 car is based on? Ferrari don't just do the engines.

And if you read again you'll also see that I clearly said that F1 says they don't need Ferrari.

[quote="benyeats"]
I know you were not saying the series are equivalent but you seemed to be saying Ferrari could gain similar prestige / marketing advantage from either which is not the case.
[/quote]

I who's opinion?

[quote="benyeats"]
There are loads of motorsports with level playing fields but they don't tend to genarate the level of interest that F1 does, why is that ?
[/quote]

Lack of scandal mostly.  :laugh:
I think the problem is that you see this from the point of view of a UK based F1 fan. Try the "lack of interest in other motorsports" comment on a US based NASCAR fan or NZ based Australasian V8 Supercar fan. Many of my friends don't even watch F1. It's not even on any of the public TV channels here. But they all know that Jamie Whincup is leading the series.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
I know you were not saying the series are equivalent but you seemed to be saying Ferrari could gain similar prestige / marketing advantage from either which is not the case.
[/quote]

I who's opinion?

[/quote]

Mine, but I suspect I am not alone.  For instance on the front of today's FT there is an article about Ferrari quitting F1 and a follow up article inside, there would not even be a mention if they quit their A1GP commitments.

Of course this discussion could be a waste of time since the way both sports are going they may not be around much longer.

Ben

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Renault and few other teams also considering pulling out........just when everyone is being made to look stupid by a new team/car!!!! GO BRAWN!

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Wed May 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Apparently Ferrari have failed in their appeal: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8058903.stm

I don't follow F1 but their statement smacks of arrogance:

"Wirth(sic) Research, Lola, USF1, Epsilon Euskadi, RML, Formtech, Campos, iSport: these are the names of the teams which would compete in the two-tier Formula One wanted by Mosley. Can a world championship with teams like them - with due respect - have the same value as today's Formula One, where Ferrari, the big car manufacturers and teams, who created the history of this sport, compete?"

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed May 20, 2009 2:15 pm

How close to the end of the month will both sides wait?

This may be more interesting than some races.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed May 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Ray Mallock Limited will race in f1 next year (RML) noooo, keep developing the Chevi touring Car.

there is also a team racing in british f3, that was founded in 2008 that want to enter.