Gravity Racers or Soapbox Derby Cars

Alec

Gravity Racers or Soapbox Derby Cars

Post by Alec » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:32 am

When I followed the link in Ben's post on the thread about his lightened flywheel, I was intrigued with something I saw on the page.

[quote="benyeats"]
Not sure yet, will weigh them both when they are out, something like 4.25kg vs 7kg, it is this part

http://www.elise-shop.com/ultra-light-f ... p-641.html

Last year when I had the gearbox off the car I was going to do the clutch while I was at it but measured the old one and found it was still in spec for brand new (this after 18k miles) so no point.  Possibly a new clutch release bearing, will post a separate topic on why this might be a good idea.....

Ben
[/quote]

That was the 'Lotus Type 119, Goodwood FOS Soapbox (1:43)' model which they are selling for about £10.63.

Model

The Real Thing

Not only did it remind me of some of the cars I saw taking part in the 'IMechE Greenpower Electric Car Races for Schools' event that I helped at last year, especially the Bentley, but I have just seen an advert for the next episode of 'The Gadget Show' which will be featuring it. The show will be aired on Channel Five at 8pm next Monday 30th March, 2009.

[quote="The Gadget Show"]
In this weekâ??s programme, Jason Bradbury and Ortis Deley attempt one of the Gadget Shows most ambitious challenges  ever: to design and build a downhill gravity racer capable of going head-to-head with one of the finest and fastest racers in Britain. First they visit Donnington Park racetrack - the future home of Formula Oneâ??s British Grand Prix. Here they discover the enormity of the task when they head downhill in the UKâ??s most successful gravity racer, the Lotus 119c. Next they head to Loughborough College in the Midlands, working with a team of engineers to create the most aerodynamic gravity racer they can. Finally they head for Cadwell Park - one of the steepest racetracks in the country - where they compete against each other in a time trial to decide who will go head-to-head in a no holds barred race against the Lotus 119c with some truly dramatic results.
[/quote]

With the Lotus believed to be the fastest soapbox car ever built, reputedly being capable of 200 mph (320 km/h) on a 45 degree slope, it could prove interesting.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Alec

Re: Gravity Racers or Soapbox Derby Cars

Post by Alec » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:24 am

Further searches have shown that the version featured in my first post is the original design from 2002 so it may be a later version that is used in The Gadget Show.

Lotus Type 119b (2003)

Lotus Type 119c (2004)

Their performance at The Goodwood Festival Of Speed in the 'Goodwood Gravity Racing Soapbox Challenge' was . . . .

Image                              Image                              Image
Lotus Type 119 (2002)                    Lotus Type 119b (2003)                    Lotus Type 119c (2004)
Finished 2nd in Class,                      Finished 1st in Class,                            Overall victory
      3rd overall                                        3rd overall
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:01 am

That's one trick go-kart!

The one I had as a kid was built (by me and my dad of course) from an old pram some 2x1 and a few bits of marine ply left over from our mirror dinghy!

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Goodwood Festival of Speed have a Soapbox Car part, usually in the afternoon.