Is that Acura LMP-1 car incredible or what?

WorkingOnIt

Re: Is that Acura LMP-1 car incredible or what?

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:55 pm

[quote="bolus"]
so what's the real explanation?
[/quote]

[quote="Curator"]
No,seriously,they follow some old rules that state the car has to carry a pasenger,I believe.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand the question either.  Sports car racing has required a passenger seat (even if vestigial, or crossed by a roll bar strut) throughout history.  One of my favorites is the Lotus 23, which is often described as a Lotus 22, widened to fit a (pretty much useless) second seat.  Are you asking why the sanctioning body wouldn't allow aero mods like a toneau over the passenger side?

I have to admit the dual hoops seem odd to me, but one for roll protection, one for unobstructed intake and both relatively low is apparently the way to go.

[img width=800 height=439]http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007 ... 0.1-lg.jpg[/img]

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Both classes (LMP1 and 2) allow open or closed-cockpit designs (closed car must have a windscreen, a roof and doors on each side). Although a passenger seat is not used, cars have to be designed to carry two people. The empty area of the cockpit is therefore usually used to hold electronic devices and cooling equipment.

Dimensions are limited to a maximum of 4650 mm (183.1 in) in length, 2000 mm (78.7 in) in width, and 1030 mm (40.6 in) in height (from the bottom of the bodywork, not the ground). Bodywork is also required to cover all mechanical elements of the car, so that it cannot be visible when the car is viewed directly from the front, side, or top.

LMP1 - intended especially for manufacturers: minimum weight of 900 kg (1980 lb). Naturally-aspirated engines limited to 6000 cc (366.1 ci). Turbochargers and superchargers allowed for gasoline engines with a maximum displacement of 4000 cc (244.1 ci) and for diesel engines with a maximum displacement of 5500 cc (336 ci). No limits on the number of cylinders for any type of engine. Homologated production car engines (complying with LM GT1 regulations and at least 1000 units per year) allowed within the same limitations. Fuel tank size of 90 litres (23.8 gallons) for gasoline and 81 litres (21.4 gallons) for diesel engines. Wheel size (maximum diameter) of 28.5 inches and maximum width of 16 inches.

I think of them as modern Can-Am cars ;D

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I may have to find a sports bar with Speed Channel Saturday.

12 Hours of Sebring will be well worth the time
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... ndex=69306

" But if you want to see everything the LMP1 class has to offer, the only chance might be Saturday in the season-opening 12 Hours of Sebring.

Only Honda's Acura division is committed to racing in the LMP1 class beyond Sebring. Audi is concentrating on Europe this season, although at least one car could return to the United States for the final three races of the ALMS season.  And Peugeot is again using Sebring as a shakeout test for the European season. "

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Just curious to why they kept that second seat.  Sounds like it is just tradition. 

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 pm

[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
[quote="bolus"]
so what's the real explanation?
[/quote]

[quote="Curator"]
No,seriously,they follow some old rules that state the car has to carry a pasenger,I believe.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand the question either.  Sports car racing has required a passenger seat (even if vestigial, or crossed by a roll bar strut) throughout history.  One of my favorites is the Lotus 23, which is often described as a Lotus 22, widened to fit a (pretty much useless) second seat.  Are you asking why the sanctioning body wouldn't allow aero mods like a toneau over the passenger side?

I have to admit the dual hoops seem odd to me, but one for roll protection, one for unobstructed intake and both relatively low is apparently the way to go.

[img width=800 height=439]http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007 ... 0.1-lg.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Right in front frank Biela, 2nd Emmanuele Pirro, 3rd Jos Verstapen.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Audi wins with a new car - and a record number of laps.

[quote="STEVEN COLE SMITH | SENTINEL STAFF WRITER"]
SEBRING -- The expected epic battle between the diesel-powered Audis and Peugeots for the overall win at the 57th Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring endurance race Saturday came down to the last lap, with Allan McNishâ??s Audi R15 TDI leading the Peugeot 908 HDI of Franck Montagny across the finish line by 22.279 seconds. Third was the other Audi, driven by a team led by Lucas Luhr, two laps behind.
[/quote]

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 2921.story

wow, sportsmanship.
http://www.newssun.com/news/0322-12-hours-of-sebring
[quote="BARRY FOSTER Special to the News-Sun"]
Peugeot driver Sebastian Bourdais put it all up to the Audi driver that finished the race and took the checkered flag.
"Alan McNish just killed us," he said. "His driving today was from another planet."
[/quote]
Attachments
Alan-McNish newssun.com.jpg
Alan-McNish newssun.com.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Although I was impressed with the Acura LMP1 car when I watched the show about it, as soon as the race began I was not.  The 4 diesels went past the Acura like it wasn't even there, and never looked back.  In this type of racing horsepower is #1, because it enables passing the slower cars with ease. 

The Acura is built for faster corner speeds, which works good on an open track, and enables it to qualify well.  But in the actual race, the ability to get through traffic quickly is what matters most, and 4 G cornering ability is worthless when stuck behind slower cars.  During the race, one of the Acura drivers (Simon Pagenau) said exactly that in an interview.  He also said that they were surprised to learn that the big front tires didn't work well when driven off line to make a pass, and that the extra junk they picked up was a problem.

I can't believe a big company like Honda could get it so wrong.  But I guess that's what they did in F1.

Now Robin Miller has reported on Speed TV that Honda is already talking about quitting LMP1, and sending the 2 teams currently running its LMP1 cars to race in the IRL.  One of the rumored drivers is Takuma Sato.  This sounds outrageous, but that's what he's reporting.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:01 pm

I believe the biggest problem Acura was having was in the power steering system. It haunted them from the first trial,right into Sebring.

The car can run quickly (took the pole) ,but seems to prefer an open track,and clean air,especially with the steering problems. I am sure the drivers were not too keen on running the car in that configuration,and were doing the best with what they had.

It was a gamble,no doubt.  Sometimes you must step back to move foreward. They must feel the car will not be competitive this year,and want to concentrate their resources elsewhere.

Who knows for sure? :-\

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm

[quote="dp35"]
Now Robin Miller has reported on Speed TV that Honda is already talking about quitting LMP1, and sending the 2 teams currently running its LMP1 cars to race in the IRL.  One of the rumored drivers is Takuma Sato.  This sounds outrageous, but that's what he's reporting.
[/quote]

that sounds like the trend with everything now.  If you cant win the first time out give up

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:03 pm

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. 

I don't believe Acura realized how much more it would cost to be truly competitive in LMP1 vs. LMP2.  Everybody is cutting back.They started building the car over a year ago,and figured to at least run it once. I really don't think they expected to win,unless Audi and Peugeot broke.

He who fights and runs away,lives to fight another day ;D