Jaguar, Buick top JD Powers 3 year reliability report

benyeats

Re: Jaguar, Buick top JD Powers 3 year reliability report

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Much like ford lived off what BMW did with land rover, you mean?

[/quote]

Do not start on BMW's shameless treatment of Rover / Land Rover.  Despite quite liking a few of their cars it is unlikely I will ever own one, having said that a £2k 750i would not be giving them any money directly and is what I am thinking of next.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 pm

My point exactly...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:18 am

I have been a Jaguar fan for a long, long time, I have bought several new. They have always made some great cars, and a few duffers, what they have also done is give a lot of people work!

When my XJR was 3 years old and out of production I had a strange loud wind noise from the passenger side that only showed up on the naughty side of 140mph. Jaguar, not the dealership, gave me one of their cars and took mine to Millbrook (I think) tested and sorted it. THAT is customer service!

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 am

[quote="ebeck"]
I think everyone is getting a little sick of the JD Powers reports.  You can put a twist on any report and get your brand on top.   Consumer Reports seems to have much more creditability in this department.
[/quote]

OK, Here's Consumer Reports' satisfaction survey press release

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article. ... tid=776251

Vehicles with poor gas mileage dominate the low satisfaction end.  hmmm, there's a shocker.

ross

Post by ross » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 am

On a (slightly) related note, I should be getting a test drive of the new 3.0d S XF, the new XFR and XKR next week some time....looking forward to it.  Really fancy an XFR, but don't think I could live with the running costs, the new 3.0d (in S form) looks pretty tasty anyhow though.

Cheers, Ross.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:40 am

Blimey, times are tough then, eh Ross?  ;D

P.S. "Our" car is making way for a newbie soon (sniff!)

Cheers, Hedge

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
On a (slightly) related note, I should be getting a test drive of the new 3.0d S XF, the new XFR and XKR next week some time....looking forward to it.  Really fancy an XFR, but don't think I could live with the running costs, the new 3.0d (in S form) looks pretty tasty anyhow though.

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]

The XFR looks the business, sod the running costs you only live once....

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 am

The company that owns Jaguar TaTa have just launched this in Left Hand drive market for the equivalent of £1390.

The Nano, i wonder if it comes with an Ipod cable lol.
Attachments
tit anon.jpg
tit anon.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 677 times

ross

Post by ross » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 pm

So I tried the new XF 3.0d S, XFR and XK (not the R) yesterday.

The 3.0d S was very nice and is clearly going to be the big seller although the engine did sound a little rattly when accelerating hard which I don't recall in the 2.7.  Loads of torque, but definitely not as economical as Jaguar say - I reckon you'd be pushed to get above 30mpg even with pretty restrained driving.

XK's none supercharged 5.0 V8 sounded mint and went like the clappers - wish I'd had chance to try the XKR really, but ran out of time.

The XFR is quite a beast - feels like you've got a small nuclear power plant in the front of the car, pulls like a train - really nice car.  You'd be looking at 10mpg though which isn't funny.  Could also do with a noisier exhaust to match the XK's glorious sound.

I'm trying to work out if an XFR is even remotely possible otherwise it'll be the 3.0d S for me.  I don't do that many miles so perhaps I could live with the 10mpg though...

The interiors on all of them, really are classy and the gearbox is incredible....drove my old 911 straight afterwards - hard to believe the two cars are from the same planet!  Old cars really are hilarious to drive compared to modern cars.

Cheers, Ross.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
So I tried the new XF 3.0d S, XFR and XK (not the R) yesterday.

The 3.0d S was very nice and is clearly going to be the big seller although the engine did sound a little rattly when accelerating hard which I don't recall in the 2.7.  Loads of torque, but definitely not as economical as Jaguar say - I reckon you'd be pushed to get above 30mpg even with pretty restrained driving.

[/quote]

You will beat 30mpg in the diesel, even a modern 3.0 petrol sould not be too far off that figure IMO

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

You'd have thought yes, but it really didn't seem that way according to the trip meter.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
You'd have thought yes, but it really didn't seem that way according to the trip meter.
[/quote]

But remember the kind of driving a demo car is subjected to!

ross

Post by ross » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:36 pm

No, I zero'd it before I set off so I could get a rough idea myself when testing - before resetting it had done 19mpg over the previous 1000 miles though which isn't great and I doubt these things get ragged on test drives judging by the kind of people attending their test day (I was the youngest by far which probably says more about me than anything else...)

I'm sure 30mpg is feasible with normal driving, but 40mpg would be very doubtful in these I reckon.  That compares to my trust Passat which will happily do 50mpg without too much coaxing.  It is a big, heavy car and goes pretty damn quick, so I guess it's to be expected.  Just annoying that the manufacturers can quote figures that just aren't attainable, but I suppose they all do it.

Anyhow, it's not a big deal and if I'm trying to justify the XFR, crap figures for the diesel only help ;)

They are great cars though.

Cheers, Ross.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Also the engine should loosen up over its life so economy will improve after 5k miles or so.

However to be on the safe side I reckon you should get the XFR

Ben