USF1

curt

USF1

Post by curt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Anyone heard anything about a US F1 team?  Maybe some stimulus money will find its way to something interesting.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/04/usf1 ... n-f1-team/
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/04/amer ... charlotte/
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/star ... race-seat/

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: USF1

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:40 am

I was interested right up to the point of Danica as the driver. :P I don't hate her.I just think it will be a wasted effort..and she will want all the credit, if ever due..
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 am

[quote="Curator"]
I was interested right up to the point of Danica as the driver. :P I don't hate her.I just think it will be a wasted effort..and she will want all the credit, if ever due..
[/quote]

If you think Danica's going to be that bad then she will give Dex's Force India team someone to dice with at the back.  ;D
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

god this bloody Danica SLPATrick is making me dizzy, so we shall see some woman like driving when she is i the car.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 am

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
god this bloody Danica SLPATrick is making me dizzy, so we shall see some woman like driving when she is i the car.
[/quote]

??? ??? ??? ???

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 am

yeah, I thik he had a stroke while writing that sentence

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 am

You guys falling for the Danica F1 PR nonsense should think it through -

If this team ever becomes a reality (IF), they'd be foolish not to give her a chance, get tons of attention (attention = sponsors = $$$), then cast her aside once she's proven herself slower than the boys.  IF she's able to outdrive the five or six young American open wheel drivers I have in my mind for this team, then I'd have no problem with her in the race seat.  If she brings enough sponsorship $ to make this team a big success and it gets us an American driver's championship, I'd have no problem with her in the other car getting lapped (but that won't happen).

IMO, this entire team is as much of a fantasy as Danica Patrick in F1.  If it were to ever happen, it might be entertaining and probably would help F1 in the US, which hopefully would get us a race again.  But IMO the team (like Danica in F1) would never be competitive, and would ultimately fail miserably, adding credibility to the "I told ya so" crowd.

My prediction - there's a slim chance this team will ever race in F1, and a much slimmer chance that Danica would be in a race seat if they do make it that far.

So the whole chirade's a win-win, or a lose-lose, depending on how you want to look at it.  The drama's already entertaining.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:15 am

Read the News conference transcript that was held today, and from the sounds of it, looks like they are well on their way.
I think USF1 is a brilliant idea, and fan access, TV access will become unprecedented in the F1 world.
Plus the idea of a skunkworks, lean, F1 team based in the US, is just what F1 needs right now.
Heres to hoping their future success.  :tu:

http://www.autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=979

About drivers, my pics would be Graham Rahal(always a front runner, young, fast, plus the Rahal name) and Scott Speed(for experience sake, and he is American) in 2010.

Powertrain package would probably be a badged Cosworth motor, hopefully Ford can see the value of badging it for relatively cheap cost. If USF1 wants to save cost even further and not design a KERS and gearbox, then I would go with an entire Mercedes powertrain(Engine/gearbox/KERS)

GO USF1!!!

fiesty

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 am

OK - let's play "what drivers/engine would you pick".  Select two race drivers and one or two test/future drivers.

Engine - I like BMW.  The US market is everything to them, they don't already supply any other teams, and they build their own car & engine so it might be possible to get other assistance from them. 

Drivers - I'd hire Barrichello for 2009 test & development, then move him to another role for 2010.  Race drivers - Jenson Button and Johnathan Summerton, with Alexander Rossi and Dane Cameron as test drivers.  Its really hard to pick drivers.  What I'd really do is try out a bunch, including these and Conor Daly, Josef Newgarden, John Edwards, Johnathan Bomarito, and I'd give Danica a try out also, if nothing else to generate attention.  Although JB isn't American, the team will need one experienced driver, and I don't think Scott Speed's is enough. 

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:16 am

Sebastien Bourdais - Race Driver
Takuma Sato - Race Driver

Barricrasho or one of the Mansell Jrs as test / development drivers

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 am

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
Sebastien Bourdais - Race Driver
Takuma Sato - Race Driver

Barricrasho or one of the Mansell Jrs as test / development drivers
[/quote]

Button if available would be a good choice perhaps paired with Danica as even if slower she could bring an unbeleivable amount of publicity / cash into the team.  The Mansell name is well known in the US so not a bad call but would expect them to go with a young American talent.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 am

I would go all American and damn the torpedoes...

Ford engine (the Cossie DFV did OK for quite some time...)

A couple of drivers (anyone actually interesting will do - they won't be winning)

As for a car, anything will suffice as they'll probably all be standardised next year!

Oh look... a pig going past my window...!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Chevy block V8, ummm not a bad engine.

Obvious sponsor are SPEED TV, and like Gatorade or something like that.

Maybe some one like Roberto Moreno, i think he is probably one of the best development drivers ever, even at the tender age of near 50.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

If I agree one more time with Bruce..I am going to implode..  8)

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I would go all American and damn the torpedoes...

Ford engine (the Cossie DFV did OK for quite some time...)

A couple of drivers (anyone actually interesting will do - they won't be winning)

As for a car, anything will suffice as they'll probably all be standardised next year!

Oh look... a pig going past my window...!
[/quote]

[quote="Curator"]
If I agree one more time with Bruce..I am going to implode..   8)
[/quote]

Isn't it surprising how he can make a brilliant, concise statement (when he's not trying to be cryptic) that says exactly what you're thinking.  :tu:

Oh, and there's that pig as well. Image
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)