my lotus elise and my ariel plans..

jon b

Re: my lotus elise and my ariel plans..

Post by jon b » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:09 pm

do what so many do- deposit for new and have a used ( lower powered ) in the meantime ;)

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:32 pm

[quote="MNlotus"]
thanks for your guys feedback. i am just now debating on when i should get it. do you think i should order a new one or buy a used one. i think id prefer a new one
[/quote]

Your call, ultimately.  I bought new and don't regret it now because I was able to spec the car and I didn't have to deal with even the potential of inherited problems.  But the wait about killed me, and it was only a 7 month wait!  With TMI coming on board to produce the Atom 3, you will probably get an even better car than any Atom 2 you could find in the used market.  

On the other hand, you could probably get a much better deal in the used market.  In fact, there's an excellent Atom 2 for $65k (seems like a great price for the specs) in the market at the moment.  The ideal thing to do would be to buy a used Atom 2 and drive it for 9 months to a year while waiting for your new Atom 3 to be produced!  This is what Bruce has suggested to many people over the years.  Chances are you wouldn't lose much, if anything (from buy to sell) so long as you get a good deal when you buy the Atom 2.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:40 pm

Atom1,Atom2 or Atom3, they all supply the necessary equipment for you to enjoy raw motoring pleasure.

I wonder what the Atom10 will look like? 8)

MNlotus

Post by MNlotus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:30 pm

so whats the base price for an atom 3?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:59 pm

$65K

options though this is getting a little old now so I'd email Mark at TMI
http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... #msg157093

MNlotus

Post by MNlotus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 am

how should i email him cause i did over a week ago and got no answer. i emailed him through sales on the ariel atom website.

i plan on getting the atom with...
-carbon fiber tub
-removable steering wheel
-shift light steering wheel
-magnesium rims
-300 hp supercharger

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:40 am

Something must have gone wrong because he was been very prompt this last week when I ordered some parts. 

Try email directly at
mswain@arielatom.com

And if that doesn't work call him directly at
434.822.9130 x303

He answered right away when I called last week. 

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:28 pm

call don't email......at least I had much better luck calling...no response via email.

MNlotus

Post by MNlotus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:37 am

well after talking with a local atom owner from MN and hearing his problems registering the car, i have decided not to get the atom and get a 2003 caterham super 7 instead. i would love to have an atom but i know it will be easier getting the caterham registered. here is what i plan to get. any thoughts?

can't wait for the snow to melt!

http://www.lotusowners.com/ForSale/Caterham%20For%20Sale/index.htm

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 am

[quote="MNlotus"]
well after talking with a local atom owner from MN and hearing his problems registering the car, i have decided not to get the atom and get a 2003 "other track car" super 7 instead. i would love to have an atom but i know it will be easier getting the "other track car" registered. here is what i plan to get. any thoughts?

can't wait for the snow to melt!

http://www.lotusowners.com/ForSale/"other track car"%20For%20Sale/index.htm
[/quote]

Unfortunately because of the childish practice of using a 'swear' filter to remove the names of some cars, such as Caterham (only shows up here by devious means), links like yours will not work.

It's probably better for anyone who wants to take a look to use this link and then click on the photo of the blue 2003 Caterham Super 7 DeDion.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:49 am

[quote="Alec"]

Unfortunately because of the childish practice of using a 'swear' filter to remove the names of some cars, such as Caterham (only shows up here by devious means), links like yours will not work.

It's probably better for anyone who wants to take a look to use this link and then click on the photo of the blue 2003 Caterham Super 7 DeDion.  :tu:
[/quote]

Thanks for the fixed link, Alec. 

Your car look great, mate!  I can't think of a better color for it. Plus it looks like you got a good deal considering it's factory built and owned and low miles.  I'm sure they're been through it carefully and will provide service as needed.

curt

Post by curt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 am

MNlotus: In MN you can build a house, on a frozen lake, and drive to it for ice fishing, all with a hundred other vehicles out there, but an Atom's not safe?!  If all else fails, put a track and skis on it and register it as a snowmobile.  Or a water tank on back to pass as a Zamboni.  I grew up there and thought it to be a place of reasonable people -  that is until Stuart Smalley was actually taken seriously. 

In the clubroom, a post of your registration woes may elicit some good feedback from others who also went through registration difficulty.

As a last resort, I'd go so far as registering it in Wisconsin with a friend's garage for an address.  Yes, we like our Atoms that much, so time to get creative.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:18 am

MNlotus, that blue car looks good, however to get comparable performance to an Atom (245)you would probably have to go with either a C@terham CSR260 or the new C@terham R500 which looks like a beast, which cost around the same as a new Atom.
Good luck on what ever you decide to get.
Any of them will blow away your current Lotus.
cheers

MNlotus

Post by MNlotus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:01 pm

yes i know this is true. i did want the r500 but that will cost twice as much as what i will be spending for the super seven. with the $30,000 i saved, i can put some money into the motor to make it have the performance i want.

MNlotus

Post by MNlotus » Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 pm

well i finally got my seven! it is a 2003 "other track car" super seven dedion. its got the 2.0L zetec with around 220 hp. its got the six speed trans. too which is great. i dont want to do anything to it yet except a few things.
- get a removable steering wheel
- lighter seats
- fire extinguisher
- take the luggage rack and wheel off of the back
- get a windkick, if its legal in MN
- yoko advan tires

other then that it is perfect. i love the feeling of no doors or roof. in the future i will do a motor swap, but i dont know what i want in it yet. K series maybe?
Attachments
CIMG0257.JPG
CIMG0257.JPG (61.93 KiB) Viewed 708 times
CIMG0254.JPG
CIMG0254.JPG (51.98 KiB) Viewed 710 times