F1 - 2007 season - includes spoilers

Ultrasound

Re: F1 - 2007 season - includes spoilers

Post by Ultrasound » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 pm

I think it's an impossible question who is the 'best' driver. It's definately one I'm in no position to answer.  We're never privy to the information that would answer that question for any given time or race.
Many say it is Kimi others have different views, there is that Article in Autosport in June where McLaren and Ferrari engineers say Kimi is the 'fastest' driver they have ever worked with. I don't know who they are or what merit the story has. That's the difficulty, it's all just speculation. It's an impossible question.

I do like Kimi.  Tend to support him, of course he's not perfect, who is?  He must make mistakes and has had some drives that are better that others much like the rest of us at our work.  Lewis and Alonso are the same. They have all had there different problems this year all made mistakes and all driven in an amazing fashion at others.  I've been amazed by how well Lewis Hamilton has driven, surely an amazing driver and multiple world champion.  Like many other perenial fans of F1 however I have little time for uncontrolled hyperpole that has been applied to him by the media. But that's certinaly not his fault.  One thing he did that I really did not like was the pre race interview where he refered to those further down the grid as 'monkeys'.  Thought that was neither fitting or professional.  Still, it's not a crime. 

Similarly, I hated what seemed to be a casual attitude to cheating displayed in the email traffic between Alonso and De la Rosa.  Didn't like it when both McLaren drivers speak to the press and say they will do there talking on the track then proceed to critise others.  Never understood the point of that. Indeed it's the quality I like most about Kimi that he dosen't critise others.

On the other hand look at how Lewis held his hand up to his mistakes in the last race.  That can't have been easy.

Whatever anyone's stance however I really don't like anyone being attacked an pilloried. We don't know these people, don't know why they did what they did in the situaton they were in and we couldn't do their jobs. Have an opinion by all means but personal abuse, get real.

I have also been disapointed by the fickle nature of the professional media in respect of the sport.  I seem to remember a number of features about how Kimi's was damaged and potentaily on the way out of Ferrari.  You don't become a bad driver overnight.  Similalry I noticed the TV news on Sunday night portraying 'Lewis' failure'. What nonsence. 

Just my 2 pence.
Last edited by Ultrasound on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:33 pm

have now, but at the time couldn't be bothered, as i had 4 internet explorer pages up...

i don't think i would like to watch 3 hours of motorsport / rallying...

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 pm

[quote ]

[quote="jon b"]
The only one attacking here's been you Jon, calling the other drivers names, etc.  For example:

All you have explained is  how the Zombie won the championship - thats a whole different matter - .
[/quote]

Wait a minute - I seem to be offending people by calling KR a zombie - have you not seen him being interviewed.   ::)     has he got a pulse?

Political correctness is getting to everyone - hilarious   :-\
Last edited by jon b on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pakitor23

Post by pakitor23 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 pm

In my opinion the best driver is the one who wins. F1 racing is not only about your personal driving skills. It is full of bs like the corporate world I belong. You have to be strong and deliver every day no matter what is the challenge. The challlenge can be your:

Car, mechanics, your boss, your teammate, a bad day and so on. Excuses and results don't go together.

Congrats to Kimi and his great team including Massa. I am a big fan of ALONSO. I am sure he learn a lot this year.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:36 pm

let us face the facts, if Ferrari had sorted out the mid season mechanical faults, they would have won the championship by a clear mile, not Kimi, but Felipe...

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 am

[quote="pakitor23"]
In my opinion the best driver is the one who wins. F1 racing is not only about your personal driving skills. It is full of bs like the corporate world I belong.

[/quote]

So true. That's why I would much rather watch the A1GP.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:14 pm

A1GP, is boring, the commentators are legends though...

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:20 am

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
A1GP, is boring, the commentators are legends though...
[/quote]

You have to be joking Dext.

At least there's overtaking in A1GP whereas in F1, half the tracks are designed to prevent it with Monaco being the worst as it's virtually down to qualifying to decide the winner unless someone can produce a blinding pitstop strategy to gain a few places.

And while we're talking about 'boring' then how can Kimi winning the F1 championship be good for it.

He's hardly the ideal ambassador for any sport as he can hardly string a coherent sentence together.

I'm almost asleep as soon as he starts talking in his monotone drawl.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:50 am

[quote="Alec"]
And while we're talking about 'boring' then how can Kimi winning the F1 championship be good for it.

He's hardly the ideal ambassador for any sport as he can hardly string a coherent sentence together.

[/quote]

Becauase he won the most races, wasn't driving a cheater car, performed his best when it counted the most (didn't choke under pressure), and is the best driver in the world.  That's why. 

Whether you're a good ambassador or can speak brilliantly in English has nothing to do with it. 

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am

[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Alec"]

[/quote]

Becauase he won the most races, wasn't driving a cheater car,
[/quote]

Agree he should have won.  But was driving a 'cheater' car just as much as McLaren, in fact McLaren did not have to change any of their car during the season due to rule infringements, not the case for Fezza

Ben

356speedster

Post by 356speedster » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Agree he should have won.  But was driving a 'cheater' car just as much as McLaren, in fact McLaren did not have to change any of their car during the season due to rule infringements, not the case for Fezza

Ben
[/quote]

Mmmm, I'm not quite sure that I agree with that.  Ferrari interpreted some rules and found a loop hole for themselves (wings / floor).  Once it was found that they'd done this, the FIA changed the rules to change the loop holes.  In response, Ferrari changed their car to comply.  That's not a cheater car, that your average F1 car and this kind of things happens all the time (Renault Mass Damper anyone?). 

Taking advantage of the rules is not the same as stealing information from another team.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:17 pm

[quote="356speedster"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

Mmmm, I'm not quite sure that I agree with that.  Ferrari interpreted some rules and found a loop hole for themselves (wings / floor).  Once it was found that they'd done this, the FIA changed the rules to change the loop holes.  In response, Ferrari changed their car to comply.  That's not a cheater car, that your average F1 car and this kind of things happens all the time (Renault Mass Damper anyone?). 

Taking advantage of the rules is not the same as stealing information from another team.
[/quote]

I was being slightly facetious, but McLaren were not proved to have used the Ferrari data thus were not running 'cheater' cars

Ben

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:06 pm

remember Massa would have won by a mile, had it not been for Hydraulics and Engine failures...

Kubica should have won the Chinese gp this year...

I have already put £5  on Lewy Hamsandwich winning Sports Personality of the Year, and another £5 on England RFU for Team of the year... (the odds at williamhill are good for those)...

i am seriously considering Bradley Lewis for BBC young sports personality of year...

(by the way, i am not a betting man, just that these ones seem a certainty, and not, then i have learnt my lesson)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:38 pm

the only teams left with places are:

Renault? (fisi and Kova / Piquet JR for 08) - Piquet and Kova not confirmed
Toyota? (Trulli and Glock) - Glock Not confirmed
Spyker (sutil confirmed and R Schumacher) - Schumi JR not confirmed
Williams (Rosberg and ???? - Alonso???)

Maybe Gary Paffet to take Alonso's place at Mclaren, or Mika Hakkinen, he nearly got the race seat for this year if i remember