KTM Crossbow (X-Bow)

curt

Re: KTM Crossbow (X-Bow)

Post by curt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:36 am

X-Bow is coming to US, but it won't be cheap.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5776558/ktms-trac ... the-engine

Gage

Post by Gage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 am

[quote="curt"]
[/quote]

I think that is an understatement Curt!

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 am

After reading this, I fear that this could hurt the whole kit car registration process that the Atom relies on.  This will be the first time a "real" manufacturer has used this loophole to sell cars in the US, which could get it a lot more publicity, which can't help.

beckertb

Post by beckertb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:00 pm

[quote="dp35"]
After reading this, I fear that this could hurt the whole kit car registration process that the Atom relies on.  This will be the first time a "real" manufacturer has used this loophole to sell cars in the US, which could get it a lot more publicity, which can't help.
[/quote]

Didn't Noble do the same????

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm

[quote="curt"]
[/quote]

At least the price will reduce the risk of actually seeing one of those monstrosities in person.  Image

dingo

Post by dingo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Noble, C@terham, Zolfe and this list goes on.

beckertb

Post by beckertb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:45 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Noble, C@terham, Zolfe and this list goes on.
[/quote]

That's what I thought.  In the grand scheme of things, still such a limited volume it will likely have little impact......

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 am

[quote="MonsieurX"]
i've been in a ktm as a passenger and it was painfull! feels like sitting in a cement hard bucket with angles to bruise you all over as the car grips and grips (it really does!)...Over the limit though, it's uncontrollable... Though after seeing the qualif F1 last weekend, im sure Schumi could drift gently with it! :pop:

[/quote]

FlatSix

Post by FlatSix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:58 am

Haven't been here for a while.
Just to give you a rough idea how the X-Bow performs.
Stpck version (240bhp) is far too slow. Comparible to 245 Atom, like german magazin "Sport Auto" stated 0-60 in 4.8(?) sec
I have vastely modified mine:
S3 engine, about 360bhp. Pretty simple to do, since there's a lot of people around that know the engine very well. Solid work, inexpensive.
Now my X-Bow runs like mad. I think there are not many cars around that could compete.
As you saw on germany's "Tuner Grand Prix" this and last year, the X-Bows are lightyears ahead.
Often been on tracks, never saw an Atom. Unfortunately hence I couldn't battle with one.

Only talked to an former Atom owner, telling me he has had a hell of trouble with the car. The X-Bow should be bullet-proof compared to the Atom.

Overall the X-Bow was the right car for me - until I've seen the BAC Mono :-) This should be the only car that could compete...

So you Atom guys: just go for a testdrive. I suppose a lot of you guys would be very surprised  ;)

FlatSix

Post by FlatSix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Maybe some of you don't know this vid (with a stock X-Bow R) - so you could imagine the performance of an upgraded X-Bow R

KTM X-Bow R vs Ariel Atom 300 on track (Motorsport)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Do you mean this one ?
(Reply #1051 posted on July 25th 2011 by Tobi.z)

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php?topic=2326.1050
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:51 pm

[quote="FlatSix"]

Only talked to an former Atom owner, telling me he has had a hell of trouble with the car. The X-Bow should be bullet-proof compared to the Atom.

[/quote]

Seems very odd as Atoms in general seem to have bullet proof reliability  ??? Two years on this forum and there are very very few frustrated owners who have cars that don't work......guess he must have just been unlucky!

Do like the XBow tho...it's grown on me!

Cheers wattie

FlatSix

Post by FlatSix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Seems very odd as Atoms in general seem to have bullet proof reliability  ??? Two years on this forum and there are very very few frustrated owners who have cars that don't work......guess he must have just been unlucky!

Do like the XBow tho...it's grown on me!

Cheers wattie
[/quote]

Can't tell... maybe you know the guy. He's polish and called Pavel. Also raced his atom, and told me about many issues with the engine.
I don't want to run down any of these concepts. I like the Atom as well. And the Caterhams, and 2-Elevens, and ...  ;)

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 pm

The XBow R is allready an upgraded XBow, the only thing possible is perhaps to add  hp to the engine ... KTM/Dallara has worked a lot on the chassis in particular with changing totaly the rear (much lower engine position, etc). I know this video and the test between this XBow R and the Atom because it was my brother Atom 2 300 in this test.
Because of it's big wheels, upgraded chassis, stiffer springs/dampers and perhaps a part of aero downforce, the XBow R has made a performance big step and was faster, on this track, with same driver. The Atom 2 300 was a "classic" one but with Alcon all round + 5 way Bilstein + R888 and a good setup. It can be improved with bigger rear wheels and stiffer springs to challenge the XBow R.
The only "problem" of this XBow R is the engine which is torquy but gives no sensation (as say the journalist "off" : it's a tractor engine !), no comparaison with the Atom one. Great difference of character between 2 cars. 
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

FlatSix

Post by FlatSix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 pm

So is the Atom 300 also an upgraded Atom 245?  ???  :roflp:
If you want to see an upgraded X-Bow, watch this:

X-Bow Battle Hockenheim 2011 - vom letzen Startplatz auf P3