Spec Miata race video from Sonoma/Infineon Raceway

dp35

Spec Miata race video from Sonoma/Infineon Raceway

Post by dp35 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey guys.  Haven't been around here much lately, mostly because my Atom hasn't been used much lately (shame).  I've been more focused on my two kids (1 & 4) and racing Spec Miata . 

Thought you guys might enjoy this race video from a couple weeks ago at Sonoma (formerly known as Infineon Raceway, formerly known as Sears Point...). 

This was the biggest Spec Miata race of the year on the West Coast, with most of the best racers from San Diego to Washington entered. The race included both the regional and national Spec Miata classes, with regional cars on Toyo RA-1 tires and national cars on Hoosier R6's. There were 72 total cars in the field, with only around 9 in the national class. I started this race on pole for the regional class & P2 overall behind the national class pole qualifier (sliver car #4). I didn't need to beat #4 to win my class, but wanted to anyways, of course.

You'll see an odd partial full course caution mid way through the race, which turned out to be a mistake.  This erased my hard earned lead and ignited a battle for the lead that came down to contact in the last turn. The other guy thinks I hit him on purpose. You be the judge.

During this race I did the fastest lap of the weekend & improved my personal best to 1:55.7.

curt

Re: Spec Miata race video from Sonoma/Infineon Raceway

Post by curt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Congrats. I'm still trying to reconcile how your times at AtomFest II were so much faster than mine. I must have taken an extra turn or two.  Or been disoriented from Eddie Hill's methane-infused exhaust.

Keep up the good work.