Dan Wheldon -RIP

fb.george

Dan Wheldon -RIP

Post by fb.george » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Dan Wheldon has passed away after a crash in an Indy race today. Sounded like a huge incident.
He was at Goodwood FoS this year and one person I know who met him there said he was a top bloke.
Brings the little stuff into perspective when you hear things like this. He knew the risks but still hugely sad when it happens
Keep smiling!!

CalScot

Re: Dan Wheldon -RIP

Post by CalScot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 pm

A tragic loss for sure!
Last edited by CalScot on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

007muel

Post by 007muel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 am

Sadly one of the worst accidents i've seen in motorsport for many years with a catastrophic ending – without doubt a tragic loss.

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Just saw it on youtube.

massive incident, too many cars, no space to go when it goes wrong.

no way he was going to come through that - very lucky there were no more fatalities.

even on trackdays we all know the risks involved-brings it home.

RIP

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:13 am

I was watching the race from the grandstand in Vegas with atomatics and hondahamster. Was in sheer shock at the magnitude of the whole accident. It was almost like 5 bombs and explosions going off at the same time. The carnage of man and machine is like nothing I have ever seen. Probably the worst/fastest auto racing crash in history...

Waited 2 hours to hear the bad news, and then watched the 5 lap, 3 wide salute to Wheldon. Really emotional.

Still cant shake the empty feeling. The drive back home was very somber. It hurts a lot more when this happens in a sport that your passionate about.

Almost cruel it happenned to a great man and champion. RIP Dan.

fiesty

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 am

It's thanks to Jackie Stewart that this sort of thing only happens so rarely these days. It used to be that hardly a season passed in F1 without  death. And other levels of the sport were much the same. That's why in big letters everywhere all over the sport you will always read 'Motorsport Is Dangerous'.

The upside is that more drivers last longer and survive better. The downside is that it's so much more tragic when a driver dies. But if it's doing what you love and if it's your time, I can think of no better way to go.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 am

Courtesy of Speedcafe....

"Racing car constructor Dallara has confirmed that its new IndyCar chassis will be named in honour of the late Dan Wheldon."

"In light of the testing work that Wheldon completed in the new car, set to be introduced next year, company chairman Gianpaolo Dallara said that he deserves the recognition."

"Dallara has not confirmed the name of the new car yet, and while a number of names have been floated, the suggestion of ‘DW001′ has received widespread praise."