Lust and Desire.

wattie

Lust and Desire.

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 am

I lust after one of the most stunning pieces of metal to grace the asphalt (IMO obviously).....the gorgeous,stunning, beautiful Maserati Granturismo.

Don't even bother to disagree, you're wrong... and must obviously use the same optician as Stevie Wonder.

Here's a little taste  Top Gear Australia - Maserati Gran Turismo S GTS  from Top Gear OZ.

However,  I've recently driven one.....and there are a few problems.

Firstly, for Cyprus tax purposes....I really sensibly should only consider the 4.2 version.....around 2007.....even then tax is circa euro24000 (if it still exists) and the exhaust sounds frankly like a poor relation with laryngitis to the stonking  4.7s in the vid. The 4.7 uses the same V8 as the Alfa 8c (Ferrari sourced) and sounds like heaven gargling on honey with a little bit of Tom jones thrown in for baritone! I was really disappointed on the test drive...with the Tone of the 4.2.

Solution, quick call to Larini exhausts and they assure me they can make a 4.2 sound like a 4.7.... For about 2k.....promising. Another upside of the 4.2 is it uses the Jaguar auto gearbox that gets the rave reviews...not the 4.7 one.

Secondly,  the Atom destroys all sensation of acceleration when you're sat under a roof behind a windscreen - nothing other than a supercar will come close. Hence the 4.2 Mazza felt slow.

Whilst i can live with that to a certain degree I've devised another solution...quickcall to DMS tuning uk and they can up the 4.2 to virtually the same and torque/hp as the 4.7 for around 1200 sovs. I'd do it myself but don't have the time.  ;)  ........excellent.

And so to choices, cos I'm gonna do this.....love the metallic black with red leather.....but am erring towards silver with same.....cos of all the dust we get here.

An example of each-

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3226386.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3217091.htm

Gents, this is a Ferrari for Scotsmen- circa GBP50,000 is frankly a bargain.............this is a helluva lot of car for that cash. Pedigree, class, quality and rare......on the cheap.

Anyone know anyone with experience of owning one......it would be good to hear some views.

Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ross

Re: Lust and Desire.

Post by ross » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:03 am

Lovely looking cars, one of the best I reckon.  But they're so bloody big!

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:12 am

Agreed Ross but size is not a problem for 245 owners  ;)

Seats 4 adults in comfort....boot space is piss poor....but that engine :drool:

Cheers Wattie

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:28 am

Nice looking car indeed.............would I buy one with real money, not sure I would to be honest........even if I had the money going begging. However not much about in the way of a stylish GT to carry 4 people, so if this is what you need then....... :tu:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:26 pm

.. but do you need a GT car for Cyprus?  :)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 pm

No John...... but then again who needs an Atom......we still buy em..... Lust,  desire......etc

Sensibility is out the window on this one.....must have.....bored with the diesel, life is too short!

Cheers Wattieo (changing name to Italian version from now on)

Ps any views on the Ecu thing....shouldn't be any adverse affects should there?

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:32 pm

New colour now in the frame.....grigio Alfieri. Almost Aston like...gun metal grey.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=UuG4oPZa1wE

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=YjItetQL4Nk

And just listen to it.....
Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm

You need to get ahold of Rob, Wattie (Dingo on this forum). He has one and might be able to give you some advice. And yes they are exquisite, seen a few in the flesh here in Austin.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Hey Driver, many thanks.

Just pm'd him...doesn't look like he's been active since feb tho so will need to see if he replies.

Cheers Wattie

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I have a little trouble with the chromed "Buick - holes in the side."

But, from some angles, they aren't that noticeable...

Image Image
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:20 am

Dingo is still around Wattie. He just has a new wee one at the homestead and may be a little busy. I can always call him for you if he doesn't respond in time. He has had several Atoms as well as his current one and the Mas. He mentioned a while back he gets more looks from guys driving the Atom but more from the fairer sex when he's in the Maserati. :)

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 am

Cheers Driver, he's been in touch with some interesting comments.

Thanks for following up, Wattie

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

What about a Jag XFR as an alternative ?

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

Yup, very nice Ben.....also a big fan of the XKR.

Not sure about Jags tho.....despite the rave reviews they get nowadays.

As you"ll have seen I'm a young, devastatingly handsome, virile strapping lad.....(be very careful Justin!) and therefore am not quite at the slippers, pipe and smoking Jacket stage yet...........the Shaguar image (whilst considerably cheaper) is not as appealing as the gigalo Mazza which is much more me  ;) 

Cheers Wattie

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am

You seen the XKR-S ? Actually makes me tempted to go the way of Jaguar - although new price is £98k.....
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....