Bac Mono road tested!

Bruce Fielding

Re: Bac Mono road tested!

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 am

KTM went down a similar road at first. I don't know what they do these days...

I think it was a non-refundable (unless you bought one) grand for a test drive then... and  the deposit was I think refundable but only under duress.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 am

Yeah, if I remember correctly, KTM wanted a £7k non-refundable deposit which isn't so bad in comparison.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that they're more interested in the bigger picture rather than worrying about each individual sale at this point.  Assuming they do make a success of it, I wouldn't be surprised if punters end up dealing with distributors in each country rather than direct with BAC themselves.

Tricky time to get punters to shell out £80k+ on a car like that though.  As others have said, a lot of interest won't necessarily translate into a lot of sales once people look at the order process properly.

Cheers, Ross.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 am

Prices for the Mono are set to increase wef 15th October by "around 10%" thus making it nearly 90 big ones.

90k suddenly seems a bit rich for some reason - though quite why who knows when 80k is obviously very reasonable! But even so it "suddenly feels" a lot of wedge for a weekend only, track-specific, single seat toy. Which it always was anyway of course.

Having said that what do I know? They're about a month away from selling out their entire 2012 planned production - so I am mostly talking utter shite  :doh:

Cheers, Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 am

"They're about a month away from selling out their entire 2012 planned production - so I am mostly talking utter shite"

What ? They have sold both cars ????

Seriously - what is production estimates ?

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

ross

Post by ross » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 am

[quote="Hedge"]
Prices for the Mono are set to increase wef 15th October by "around 10%" thus making it nearly 90 big ones.

90k suddenly seems a bit rich for some reason - though quite why who knows when 80k is obviously very reasonable! But even so it "suddenly feels" a lot of wedge for a weekend only, track-specific, single seat toy. Which it always was anyway of course.

Having said that what do I know? They're about a month away from selling out their entire 2012 planned production - so I am mostly talking utter shite  :doh:

Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

Nice that they've not even bothered to let me know about this upcoming price increase either.  It's great that they're taking so many orders, that they don't have to worry at all about some of them slipping through the cracks!

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 am

[quote="Trigger"]Seriously - what is production estimates ?[/quote] Can't recall now, Trig, but it were a wee bit more than two. I'll see if I can locate the relevant email but I fear I deleted it some time ago.
Cheers, Hedge

ross

Post by ross » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:47 am

I think they're aiming to produce 1 a week once they've got things up and running smoothly.

Cheers, Ross.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 am

Just got an email back from the dealer - they say production slots are sold up until August next year although there is a resale available earlier in the year. Deposit £25k secures a build slot. But as Hedge says that is basis 2011 costs and 2012 prices/deposits will be higher.

T

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Think they need to invest in some Customer Service skills.  Shame , as great car but often you only get one chance to get the PR bit right  :wize:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

To get it into perspective - selling all build slots upto August is probably about 25 cars....so good, but not amazing.

ross

Post by ross » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
To get it into perspective - selling all build slots upto August is probably about 25 cars....so good, but not amazing.
[/quote]

Still relatively early days though to be fair - although I'd be surprised if many of these early sales were actually to their distributors rather than direct to punters like us.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:26 am

I think it is fair to say Caroline (AtomGirl) would not be happy at the Lotus Sport forum.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

toms

Post by toms » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

[quote="Ross"]
Interesting snippet here:-

http://www.lotussport.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4641
[/quote]

What an interesting bunch of intelligent and erudite individuals  ;D

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 am