BBC to share F1 with Sky

AtomMadStew

Re: BBC to share F1 with Sky

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:15 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Don't worry Stew I'll record the races you miss for you!
Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

Your so kind Sir!
:tu:  maybe you could lend that oompah loompah Bernie some of your brain Cells too Wattie.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:32 pm

I've only got 2 braincells Stew.....lending one might prove troublesome! :P
Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtomFun

SKY Broadcasting F1

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 am

So Sky will be broadcasting ALL the F1 races on Sky Sports. The BBC will be broadcasting just 10!

How long before the BEEB lose F1 altogether?

How long before F1 goes premium on Sky Sprorts? I used to subscribe to Sky Sports when they used to broadcast most of the live events. Over time, most have shifted to premium & requires an additional payment - how long before F1 goes the same way?

Personally, I'm not happy.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:11 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="benyeats"]
For what it's worth:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
[/quote]

Done
[/quote]

Also

info@teamsassociation.org

Which is the general address for FOTA, the team's association.  Let them know how annoyed the sponsors customers are....
[/quote]

Just a bump for this one.  Should carry more weight than the BBC. 

Get it done!

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:02 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="benyeats"]
For what it's worth:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
[/quote]

Done
[/quote]

Also

info@teamsassociation.org

Which is the general address for FOTA, the team's association.  Let them know how annoyed the sponsors customers are....
[/quote]

Just a bump for this one.  Should carry more weight than the BBC. 

Get it done!
[/quote]

Done..... hate Sky & what they have done to Sport in general  :(

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Dear Mr FIELDING

Thanks for contacting us regarding the BBC's rights to broadcast future seasons of 'Formula One'.

We understand you are unhappy that the BBC won't be showing all races in future seasons due to the sharing of broadcast rights with Sky.

We know that Formula 1 has an extremely passionate following in the UK and that some fans will be disappointed that not all races will be available exclusively live on the BBC from next season.

We are operating in a very tough financial climate and in common with all areas of the BBC, BBC Sport is having to make significant cost savings over the next few years in order to operate within the constraints of the licence fee settlement, therefore we have to make some difficult choices.

We believe this deal represents good value for money for licence fee payers. We retain live coverage of half of the race weekends and we will have extended highlights of the remaining races so we are pleased that all of the action from Formula 1 for the next seven seasons will remain on BBC television. Online coverage of the race weekends that we broadcast will remain the same, and we will carry all the news and reports from the rest of the season. Radio coverage will not change whilst the most popular races - the British Grand Prix, the Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season will continue to be broadcast live on BBC One.

We would like to assure you that we’ve registered your complaint on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available across the BBC.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 am

Uncanny, exactly the same reply I received.  They must have got really bored typing it all in again.

Ben

bm97ppc

Post by bm97ppc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm

So am I right in thinking you can watch the all F1 on BBC Via the internet???

OK in case you don't know the filming of all F1 event is done by FOM Ltd (Formula One Management Ltd) a BE company, sometimes with some additional help (subcontracted) from a local company (not sure now but even when ITV had it in the UK FOM Ltd use to Subcontract parts of this to the BBC). It is then edited in real time in a big silver inflatable building (well that what they used last time I went to a GP and for many years before that). This Stream is then sent to (normally Via Satellite) all the broadcasting companies around the world e.g. the BBC for the UK.

At the Event there is about 20+ little commentary Boxes with the same Feed as what we see + a timing screen. The commentary is then added to the video feed. Basically every country see the same as we do with a different voice over. Some country’s buy the commentary off the BBC, as it costs money to send people etc out to each event, you may have noticed if you are aboard you will still hear Martin Bundle in most English speaking countries. But the 1hr before, 30 mins after and the F1 forum is all excusive BBC content, well I’ve never seen it broadcast anywhere else but maybe someone buys that off the BBC too.

OK so I'm looking for the positives here, now given the above info , I assume that the BBC will still be at all GP's and will still have Martin and David commenting on every event because they need this for the 10 live ones and the "Extended Highlights", plus I assume they will still sell this on to other English speaking broadcasters. I assume they are still going to pad out the "Extended Highlights" With the normal Jake/Eddie/David stuff. So it is conceivable that the BBC are capable of a online broadcast much the same as it is now as they have to film and produce all of it anyway. Now lots of devices now support the iPlayer (Nintendo Wii, new TV's, iPads, phones, etc) plus a new service due to be launched later this year which is a set top box for freeview that you give a internet connection to instead of a Ariel. So it could be a very shrewd move, I would say most of us will have access to a online service on our main TV by next year (or could have for not much money and effort as long as you have reasonable internet) meaning the BBC have just Extended their rights from 2013 to 2018 for no cost. For the unfortunate ones with poor internet I assume the 10 races will be the more Socially broadcast ones leaving then ones you would watch the highlights of anyway.

So maybe not a disaster, and don't forget the BBC coverage was pretty poor prior to ITV, It was the ITV who add many of the nice bits, the BBC just took them and did it better with the right people. So maybe Sky will add something too. It is still outrageous and I’m still going to complain....

Piers

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:19 pm

I hope the BBC keep all the races at unsociable hours as then I can watch them at home under a blanket and the day races at the local hotel bar which has Sky.

As I understand only the 10 races the BBC has will be shown online.  I have also noticed that the BBC is able to show the full race not just hightlights for the ones it does not have (source interview with Ecclestone)

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:22 am

Trouble is, the deal is done and complaining will bear no fruit. BBC cannot afford F1 in competition with Sky - its a shame and I hate it but its where we are. Personally I would sacrifice Silverstone for any of the more unsociable ones as i find it about the dullest track on earth.

Anyway - all I can say is atleast the BBC will be involved for the next 7 years !

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 am

[quote="Trigger"]
Trouble is, the deal is done and complaining will bear no fruit. BBC cannot afford F1 in competition with Sky - its a shame and I hate it but its where we are. Personally I would sacrifice Silverstone for any of the more unsociable ones as i find it about the dullest track on earth.

Anyway - all I can say is atleast the BBC will be involved for the next 7 years !

T
[/quote]

Next 2 years.

I don't think any deal involving Ecclstone is a done deal.  There is also the angle of the BBC not partnering with its free to air rivals on this one and therefore promoting a commercial pay to view rival, surely not covered by their charter.

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 am

What am I missing Ben ?

"The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal."

So the BBC have made sure they are involved for the next 7 years instead of just 2 (and then potentially be priced out).

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 am

[quote="Trigger"]
What am I missing Ben ?

"The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal."

So the BBC have made sure they are involved for the next 7 years instead of just 2 (and then potentially be priced out).

T
[/quote]

Ah OK I thought it was only until the end of the BBC's current deal in 2 years.

Never mind the BBC being priced out, I am priced out.  £50 a month for Sky with F1 for perhaps one race, seems a little rich for my pallet.