BBC to share F1 with Sky

Bruce Fielding

BBC to share F1 with Sky

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:27 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

This is a really bad idea. Almost as bad as having ITV do it! Virtually as bad as having Rosenthal do it. Nearly as bad as having Legard do it.

The BBC are doing the best job ever, but budgets mean it can only have half? Rubbish decision.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wasp

Re: BBC to share F1 with Sky

Post by wasp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

This is a really bad idea. Almost as bad as having ITV do it! Virtually as bad as having Rosenthal do it. Nearly as bad as having Legard do it.

The BBC are doing the best job ever, but budgets mean it can only have half? Rubbish decision.
[/quote]

Completely agree, F1 has been brilliant since it's been back at the Beeb.

Bernie said just last month how important it was that F1 was available free to air and unless Sky are going to change the habit of a lifetime........

It's bad for fans and bad for sponsors who want the widest possible coverage.

And as for some races and not others, what numpty came up with that plan? :doh:

Please, please not Legard.

I know money talks and suspect Sky will do a decent job but as a non subscriber to Sky Sports I didn't really want to pay another £300+ a year to get Sky Sports on HD.

Cheers,

Stu
Last edited by wasp on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 am

Terrible news.  I suppose the only saving grace is Sky Sports won't have adverts during the race. 

I only hope Sky / the BBC manage to use the same production team for all races so the coverage is at least consistent.  Then again I would imagine Sky will offer up money for the current team or why would you watch a simulcast race on their channel rather than the Beeb.

Better hope our village's broadband upgrade comes before next F1 season so I can watch on line.

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 am

Bloody hell. Just as the BBC were doing such a good job. Sky are better with their mobile/online viewing tbh, but still.....'some' races on the BBC......damn !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am

The BBC will show 'half the races'. They might as well only show the first half of football matches they broadcast. Plain stupid deal, if you're an F1 fan who doesn't have Sky and doesn't want it.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:14 am

Oh, BSKYB just announced decent profits as well...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 am

For what it's worth:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

I am also considering other avenues of attack such as contacting F1 sponsors to point out how many viewers won't be seeing their logos any more

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 am

[quote="benyeats"]
For what it's worth:
[/quote]

Done

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="benyeats"]
For what it's worth:
[/quote]

Done
[/quote]

Also

info@teamsassociation.org

Which is the general address for FOTA, the team's association.  Let them know how annoyed the sponsors customers are....

jon b

Post by jon b » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:01 am

P*sses me off  I would rather the BBC  started charging

It means that Sky will broadcast every race- including qualifying and practice sessions- from 2012 to 2018.

BBC have reduced their live coverage to 10 races, saying that they are committed to showing the "key races" such as the Monaco and British Grand Prix.

This agreement means that for the first time, Formula 1 will not be available on free to air television.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports said: "This is fantastic news for Formula One fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in High Definition.

"We will give Formula One the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

The cost of buying rights to cover the sport is between 30 and 40 million pounds per year, according to media reports, leading the BBC to decide to share.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had previously said he was reluctant for TV rights to the sport to go to a UK pay-TV channel but has mellowed in his view.

"It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport," Ecclestone said.

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am

Live races of F1 have been on Sky Sports here for a couple of seasons now. Probably why I don't watch it.

[quote="benyeats"]
I only hope Sky / the BBC manage to use the same production team for all races so the coverage is at least consistent.  Then again I would imagine Sky will offer up money for the current team or why would you watch a simulcast race on their channel rather than the Beeb.

Ben
[/quote]

Produced by Formula One Group apparently (except the Monaco Grand Prix). Looks like they just have different Commentators/Reporters for the different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Just how much money does that greedy, midget Eccleston want? It is him after all who is charging the TV companies. >:(

Like many others I think the BBC are doing a great job and now it's over, bo**ocks.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Guess I must be the only one happy about this as I'll now be able to watch it in Cyprus (assuming we have restored electricity and not gone bankrupt) without some Greek jibber jabber on the commentary  ;D

Cheers Wattie

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:15 pm

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
if you're an F1 fan who doesn't have Sky and doesn't want it.
[/quote]

That will be me then  :td:

done my BBC complaints form.  :doh:
to**ers 

Stew

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Don't worry Stew I'll record the races you miss for you!
Cheers Wattie