The New 911.....I think.

wattie

The New 911.....I think.

Post by wattie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 am

Spot the difference  ??? Easiest job in the world being a Porsche designer (next to Aston, now I think about it) ...keep the same shape, make it lighter.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=0&id=448846

I love Porsche but can't help feel the 911 now needs to look different........am I alone?

Cheers Wattie

Trigger

Re: The New 911.....I think.

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 am

Well, its worked for about 40 years so.......but yes I agree - it just doesnt excite me enough looking the same in each new evolution !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 am

The original 911 started only a couple of years after the Jaguar E type and I just wish Jaguar had evolved that in the same way.  If you saw Top Gear a week ago you'll have seen the model Eagle created from an E type and it was beautiful.

The 911 got lighter and the E type became a 2+2, then a V12 and then an XJS and generally downhill.  Why, oh why, oh why etc. :doh:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:34 am

The F type was nice...

[img width=800 height=600]http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/2 ... 600x0w.jpg[/img]

But as for the 'Growler...'
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:45 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
The F type was nice...
[/quote]

Agreed, and I think it's not aged a bit since its introduction... pity they didn't build it.

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 pm

F-type !One cool car but you just could not follow on from a E-type , it was a one of design, and best left that way.
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:23 pm

As for a Growler Bruce every body like's a nice tidy waxed one ! car that is !
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

wattie

Post by wattie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 pm

C'mon, bar one or two you're. All  :OT:
Porsche need to come up with something different, as good as the 911 is, who really wants to buy one and then explain to his neighbour why it differs to the other car that was in the driveway a week or so before.
Surely part of the excitement of having a new car is that special feeling it brings....If you buy this 911 I reckon it could be confused for a second hand one...the shape is so similar.
I've luckily owned several porsches including a couple of 911's and they were great cars.....I just wish Porsche would try harder and make me desire one again........
Cheers Wattie

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 am

Sorry Wattie, but I have to disagree with you on this one.
The 911 is timeless, and gets better and better with age.
That's why it is iconic, because they don't dramatically change the styling.
Have you ever heard the old adage....."If it ain't broke don't fix it".
The amazing thing is that now the Boxster's styling is now becoming timeless just like the 911.
Notice the Boxster styling does not really change drastically when new models are released.
Porsche must be doing something right because I've read that it is one of the most profitable auto manufactures.

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Off course it gets better with age, technology moves on and as a result things improve. Every car manufactured today is better than the equivalent model of 5 or 10 years ago......very few look the same though...the design matures.

I love the 911....it was my dream car....but why limit the shape....if they modeled the new 911 on the Gt, would you be disappointed....don't think so....back seats are useless anyway....how long can they keep tweaking for?

Even the panamera is like a 911 with an extra 2feet of roof in the middle......boring....and slated by and large for it's looks.

I know Porsche are successful but if the car was radically different and still delivered on performance/handling etc they'd sell......
Cheers Wattie

ross

Post by ross » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:27 am

The 911 peaked in 1972/73 as far as I'm concerned - in fact the ultimate one was a metallic blue 1972 2.4T, now missing presumed 'purchased by a lazy muppet'....

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:29 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Off course it gets better with age, technology moves on and as a result things improve. Every car manufactured today is better than the equivalent model of 5 or 10 years ago......very few look the same though...the design matures.

I love the 911....it was my dream car....but why limit the shape....if they modeled the new 911 on the Gt, would you be disappointed....don't think so....back seats are useless anyway....how long can they keep tweaking for?
[/quote]

Wasn't that the idea of the 928 - to start fresh?  Customers were up in arms with rumors of 911 discontinuation.

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm not suggesting 911 discontinuation......just a new more aggressive body style....that takes the model to the next stage.
Cheers Wattie

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 pm

on the 911 theme i just stumbled across this and thought uber retro coolness.....might not be yours but i prefer the older 911s

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/singer-porsche-cosworth-911-gallery-2011-07-13?imageNo=0

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:14 pm

What's sad about Porsche is that the Cayman is their most well-balanced platform, and could happily accept the 997tt engine. However, for marketing reasons, they have to keep producing the 911 *and* keep it at the top of their performance and price lineup.