F1 to use 1.6 litre 4 cyclinder turbo charged engines by 2013

Richard Marler
Administrator

F1 to use 1.6 litre 4 cyclinder turbo charged engines by 2013

Post by Richard Marler » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:27 pm

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013

1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s
Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 50%
Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp
Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable
Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years
Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

The engines will output around 600bhp, with 150 further bhp coming from the Kers. RPM limit expected to be around 10,000. F1 will sound very different by 2013.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

McFred

Re: F1 to use 1.6 litre 4 cyclinder turbo charged engines by 2013

Post by McFred » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Aw :(  the beautiful noise will be greatly subdued.  When F1 goes to Texas I'll have to make doubly sure I score a ticket so I can hear the 18000rpm V8s before they all go away.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Utterly pointless piece of PR motivated claptrap.

Unless of course Bernie is going to get rid of his Antonov, which pollutes more in one flight than an entire season of V12 F1 cars would.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Sorry Bruce but isnt almost all so called Green legislation purely PR or politically motivated rubbish ?

Trigger (Green cynic)
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Sorry Bruce but isnt almost all so called Green legislation purely PR or politically motivated rubbish ?

Trigger (Green cynic)
[/quote]

No, just the car-based stuff usually.

A reduction in overall emissions is a good thing, but cars are such a small part of that it's pathetic and F1 cars even more so.  Getting the USA and China to polluting in such great quantity during industrial production is the most important thing right now
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Sorry - thats what I meant. Any car based Green legislation is just too small to even count, and done just for the PR.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:52 pm

To drift off the theme for a moment, in true Atom Club style.  Bruce mentioned Bernie.

You're a little guy, you're 80 years old and very rich, and you're famous so everyone knows this.  Wouldn't you spend some of that money on a bit of security so you don't get mugged yet again? :doh:

Back to the theme; aren't car manufactures heading in the direction of turbos again, in an effort to bring down emissions?

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Trigger"]

Trigger (Green cynic)
[/quote]

No, just the car-based stuff usually.

A reduction in overall emissions is a good thing, but cars are such a small part of that it's pathetic and F1 cars even more so.  Getting the USA and China to polluting in such great quantity during industrial production is the most important thing right now
[/quote]

F1 itself may be small, but the impact of the r&d will have filter-down technology for normal cars in a few years time. It could also be argued that it creates better 'role-modeling' .

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 am

Turbocompounding is a well-developed technology.  It was used in the 1950's to increase power and extend range of piston engine-powered airliners.  It is very effective.  For exhaustive (sorry) details see Mr. Paul Lamar's website.

Though, in his website, Mr. Lamar applies turbocompounding to the just Wankel rotary engine, he was invited to the 2008 World Motorsport Symposium in Oxford, England.  There he addressed the symposium about the benefits of turbocompounding, even for piston engines.  Here is a sample of what happened after he gave his talk.

Date:  21 Nov 2008 14:41:40 -0800
To: rotaryeng@earthlink.net
Subject: Formula 1 turbo compound

I really shook up the conference. Lots of questions after I gave my turbo compound speech. People were talking about 5% improvement in fuel burn all day and I was offering double-digit improvements.

The Formula 1 mucky mucks loved the idea. We had heads from Ferrari, Renault and Honda. What was most important was Tony Purnell, the guy from the FIA, liked it which is the ultimate regulating organization of Formula 1.  So did Thomas Laudenbach, Head of Motorsport/Powertrain, Porsche. Looks real good to happen in a year or two.

. . .

That is me on the left with Ulrich Baretzky, head of of engine tech at Audi Sport, to my left. Ist picture.

Second picture. Robin leaning over the table  talking to John Ilely, head of aerodynamics at Ferrari racing. To John's left is Dr. Robin Tuluie, head of R&D Renault F1 Team.  The guy with the beard is our own Professor Joe Katz, San Diego State University. To Joe's left is (I think) Jeffrey Bordner site manager of Windshear. The world's finest, full scale, moving ground plane wind tunnel located  in North Carolina. (NASCAR money.)

This is in the Ashmolean museum reputed to be the earliest in the UK, dating back to 1683. Lots of real old stuff here. For more names of people in the photo check out:

http://www.world-motorsport-symposium.com/info2.cfm?info_id=85201

Paul Lamar in Oxford UK

. . .  This is typical of the response I received from the engineers attending the symposium.  They immediately understood the advantages of turbo compounding and jumped on it.  I would not be a bit surprised if Porsche, Renault and Audi have not already started work.  Those are the three engine R&D types I know about that attended the symposium. You could see light bulbs lighting up on faces all over the place.  . . .

I am now working on a turbo compound article to submit to Race Tech magazine.

Paul Lamar
--
The Rotary Engine NewsLetter. Powered by Linux.
ACRE NL web site. http://www.rotaryeng.net
Youtube key word UTUBPLEASE
Copyright 1998-2008 All world wide rights reserved.

Richard Marler
Administrator

F1 cars set for major changes inspired by Head & Byrne

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9307861.stm

I for one really hope most of these changes do come into effect, especially much smaller front and rear wings. This should drive development of downforce from the the underfloor.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.