F1 2010 Finale: Abu Dhabi (Spoilers Alert!!!)

fiestycolumbian

F1 2010 Finale: Abu Dhabi (Spoilers Alert!!!)

Post by fiestycolumbian » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:39 pm

Drama filled Finale! Great job to Vettel, drove flawlessly. Youngest WC, incredible! Ultimately the fastest driver in the fastest car won the WC, fitting really.

Double McLaren podium to end the season, not bad!, great building block for next year.

Red Bull really suckered Ferrari into pitting Alonso early. I think that was the strategic move of the year!!

Vettel champion, McLaren double podium, and Alonso/Ferrari stripped of everything, made my day!! Karma for team orders IMO.

Overall an amazing 2010 championship, onto 2011!

fiesty

Dave W

Re: F1 2010 Finale: Abu Dhabi (Spoilers Alert!!!)

Post by Dave W » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Alonso was such a good sport at the end as well :-   ::)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:23 pm

A really dull race only made interesting by the championship being up for grabs.

I think Red Bull screwed up on Webber's strategy and Ferrari with Alonso as neither could have predicted that passing the Renaults would be so difficult.

Still rather Vettel than Alonso.  Only 15 weeks until the start of the next season, just hope it can be half as good as this one was.

Ben

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
A really dull race only made interesting by the championship being up for grabs.

I think Red Bull screwed up on Webber's strategy and Ferrari with Alonso as neither could have predicted that passing the Renaults would be so difficult.

Still rather Vettel than Alonso.  Only 15 weeks until the start of the next season, just hope it can be half as good as this one was.

Ben
[/quote]

Spot on ben!  :tu:  .......only 15 weeks to go    wOOp wOOp.

hope JB nails it next year as mark webber is going to firmly have the bit between his teeth......surely his only good chance of winning the WDC next year (after this year)  isnt Webber about 67years old now? i suppose with age comes experience

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm

"drama filled" - how so ?  One over taking move resulting Schumachers retirement - after that processional with the result influenced by strategy in pit stops

The aero is way too good in F1 resulting in such a level of grip in clean air and lack in dirtyair it's getting like speedway only on tracks like today it's the qualifying that matters more than even the first corner

I guess I prefer it when there is a chance for overtaking - these days that is restricted to a few great circuits like last week in Brazil - a mistake taking the climax to AD - all about money but the wrong circuit for last race 

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Actually there was one move that I don't think was shown on TV; Kubica driving round the outside of Sutil at the end of the second straight by the marina. Awesome.

Dull race though. Good job it was the last and not the first of the year....only the Championship standings made for interest.

Great experience being there though. They do know how to host a GP for sure. Theres still a few wee things they could improve upon though which no doubt shall be done for 2011.

The hotel they drive under is utterly amazing.....

All in all an experience I wont forget in a rush.

Cheers,
Hedge
Last edited by Hedge on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Okay, I'm probably naive, but we all know the great corners in F1, layouts where you can overtake and just some plain awe inspiring corners, such as turn 8 in Turkey.  

Is it so hard to make a new circuit where you incorporate replica's of those? That boring circuit today was crazy.  What is the point of a straight that's so long even F1 cars are just sitting on the limiter for age's?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:38 pm

[quote="FlyingTrotter"]
"drama filled" - how so ?  One over taking move resulting Schumachers retirement - after that processional with the result influenced by strategy in pit stops

The aero is way too good in F1 resulting in such a level of grip in clean air and lack in dirtyair it's getting like speedway only on tracks like today it's the qualifying that matters more than even the first corner

I guess I prefer it when there is a chance for overtaking - these days that is restricted to a few great circuits like last week in Brazil - a mistake taking the climax to AD - all about money but the wrong circuit for last race 
[/quote]

There was plenty drama but all related to the championship race rather than the race on the circuit.  I am planning to goto this race next year as I imagine it would be a good one to be a spectator at.

Ben

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 am

[quote="benyeats"]
There was plenty drama but all related to the championship race rather than the race on the circuit.  I am planning to goto this race next year as I imagine it would be a good one to be a spectator at.
Ben
[/quote]

I plan to go next year as well. Abu Dhabi seems like a very nice place to visit.

fiesty

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:21 am

Abu Dhabi is gorgeous, much nicer than it's near neighbour Dubai. And boy does it have money.....!

This time of year the weather is much more pleasant than even a few weeks earlier too.

Cheers, Hedge

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 am

I had to laugh at the fake "champagne" on the podium. First it couldn't be sprayed in proper celebratory fashion, and then Hamilton takes a swig and immediately spits it out with a look on his face that says "good god that was awful".

If it weren't for the points battle, that would have been the years most boring F1 race.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:02 am

I went to Abu Dhabi last year with a full on hospitality ticket provided by my sister who runs the event for Ferrari down there. I thought it was an appalling place to watch a GP and wouldnt recommend it. Each grandstand is isolated so you cannot really walk anywhere. I was at the hairpin and thought there would be plenty of action - but absolutely nothing !! The races there are processional and dull imho. I like Abu Dhabi itself though.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 am

Agreed... dull race. And watching it having partied hard and not slept for 36 hours was almost impossible.

If anyone does want to go next year, and if my chum is still in charge of making it happen and hasn't moved on to run ferrari F1 or something (her dream job), then I'm sure we could do some sort of deal or thing - maybe do a trackday there at the beginning of the week, or a few days after the race? You can hire cars to do that in. And of course, do deals on the hotel.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 am

[quote="Trigger"]
...my sister who runs the event for Ferrari down there.
[/quote]

Trig, sounds like your sister and my mate peggy would get on!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

Just watched the last bit of the coverage and have to say the end titles on BBC coverage were fabulous.