Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 pm

[quote="Big Ape"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Contactless digital steering wheel please Ariel

Ben
[/quote]

What do you mean by this?
[/quote]

The X-bow has its dash on the steering wheel but instead of a wired connection uses an inductive coupling so the wheel can be removed like a normal removable wheel.  Very very cool

Ben

wattie

Re: Thinking of getting a - wait for it - X-Bow

Post by wattie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:28 pm

[quote="Hedge"]
It's none of these things really. I just fancy a change I think....
My car took almost 3 years to arrive. It was almost twice what I paid for the "interim" car I enjoyed in that time. It's nothing like twice the car to drive.
I always get itchy feet with cars after a while. I don't think the Atom's gona be any different. I also don't think that just whacking a blower on it shall change this feeling either.
I'll never get shot of the Multipla though, Johnny-boy  :-*
Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

Blimey, an Atom stalwart on the verge of change.  :H:
Like others i've got the impression that you're a little disappointed with the new wheels. It's human nature to compare new with old and as a result the Satisfaction/excitement isn't quite as expected. I think that's why I've never bought the same car twice.......too much choice as well!
The Xbow seems really well sorted from what I've read (apart from wind buffeting if you're tall)......... I don't think you'd be disappointed... unless you felt it was a step back from your Atoms.

Anyway, not one to miss an opportunity, I'll give you gbp50 and a straight seat swap for the Tillets!  ;D
Cheers wattie

jon b

Post by jon b » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Big Ape"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

[/quote]

The X-bow has its dash on the steering wheel but instead of a wired connection uses an inductive coupling so the wheel can be removed like a normal removable wheel.  Very very cool

Ben
[/quote]

Thanks Ben
Do you know if this is unique to Xbow or is an off the shelf tech and do you know where it can be sourced?

Ta

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:02 pm

[quote="Big Ape"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Big Ape"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

Thanks Ben
Do you know if this is unique to Xbow or is an off the shelf tech and do you know where it can be sourced?

Ta
[/quote]

Knowing that it would be relatively difficult to do it is unlikely that it is unique to the X-bow but have not looked for a source. 

It could also just be powered inductively and use an RF link for the dash data which would be much simpler / disappointing from my pov.

Ben

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Supercharge your 245 instead. Comedy acceleration and should sort your throttle response issues.
Do like xbow from certain angles though.

Rob
From Atom 2 245 to Atom 4 350, via Atom 3 300 and Atom 3.5 310

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Drive one first if you can... it might change your mind...

It changed mine
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Very personal taste with that styling  :angel:

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:53 pm

best thing is the colour and some ground effect i suppose. I have to say this car has not grown on me.....i think it looks awful from almost every angle IMO. did a set of kids and some setsquares denote the styling, too angular for my liking . Dont do it Hedge   

ill get me coat

Cheers Stew  ;D

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:07 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Drive one first if you can... it might change your mind...

It changed mine
[/quote]

Is this mainly the fit/driving position? I did a quick search of the KTM threads, but did not see a driving impressions post from you - if there is one then a link rather than repeat, of course, is good.

This thread "Atom and Ktm" was fun to review.

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:04 pm

[quote="Big Ape"]

Thanks Ben

Ta
[/quote]

Think Caterham also use it in a more primitive manner -  I've got a removable momo with no wires and there are indicator buttons that also light up. Was trying to work out how it's done - maybe with RF and a battery pack?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 pm

[quote="RichardR"]
[quote="Big Ape"]

Thanks Ben

Ta
[/quote]

Think Caterham also use it in a more primitive manner -  I've got a removable momo with no wires and there are indicator buttons that also light up. Was trying to work out how it's done - maybe with RF and a battery pack?
[/quote]

OK I will start looking into how this is done and report back.

Ben

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 am

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
I have to say this car has not grown on me.....i think it looks awful from almost every angle IMO.
[/quote]

Seconded.  The orange is tolerable, but it looks really awkward in white.  Fortunate that you can't really see the outside of it when you're driving one!

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:02 am

Hedge, the reason your new one shot up in price is because you specced everything in carbon, right down to yer pants. Spending a few grand on carbon definitely won't make it twice the car.

X-Bow looks like a pissed-off insect from the front, which I love, but most other angles it's...er..........maybe it grows on you.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 am

I see the Pistonheads KTM you were looking at has been sold...........was it you Hedge  ???

If so, first impressions etc

Cheers Wattie

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:53 am

[quote="wattie"]
I see the Pistonheads KTM you were looking at has been sold...........was it you Hedge   ???
If so, first impressions etc
Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

Nope. Won't be until next spring if/ when I change...
Cheers, Hedge