A list of media (books, CDs, DVDs) of interest to car enthusiasts

Terry Kennedy

A list of media (books, CDs, DVDs) of interest to car enthusiasts

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:09 am

I thought I'd start a list of car-related media that most people may not have heard of, in an attempt to get this material wider exposure. Everything I post here is something I actually own and have read / listened to / watched.

Feel free to add your own items in a reply.
  • Book: "How to Repair Your Foreign Car: A Guide for the Beginner, Your Wife, and the Mechanically Inept", Dick O'Kane, ISBN 0385015283 - a hilarious look at foreign car self-maintenance in the 60's, complete with amazingly out-of-date pricing info (25 cents for a service station to gap a set of spark plugs, for example).
  • CD: "Grand Prix of Gibraltar", Peter Ustinov, ASIN B000069CIV - A sidesplitting parody of a late-50's race commentary.
  • DVD: "The Evolution Of Rallying - 50 Years Sideways" (sometimes listed as "Fifty"), Helmut Deimel, ASIN B000060O05 - just what it says, a compilation of 50 years worth of rally footage.
  • DVD: "Love The Beast", Eric Bana, ASIN B0039053AU - Bana's ode to his Ford Falcon. Get the USA version ID'd here as it includes a bonus disc with the complete Targa Florio segment from "The Speed Merchants" (arguably the best part of TSM), not found on the UK edition.
Note that the references (ISBN, ASIN, etc.) may refer to out-of-print or country-specific editions of the titles. Make sure that the item will work with your DVD player, etc. before ordering anything from a seller.

WorkingOnIt

Re: A list of media (books, CDs, DVDs) of interest to car enthusiasts

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 pm

The first two are hardly unknown, but are out of print - so this is a personal recommendation that they are worth tracking down.

Colin Chapman, The Man and His Cars  Gerard Crombac
A good basic telling of the Chapman/Lotus story benefiting from family participation.

Colin Chapman, Wayward Genius  Mike Lawrence
Includes some of the more unsavory aspects of Chapman's character that the authorized biography avoids. Excellent depiction of Lotus' early years, but loses focus towards the end - it does cover the real Delorean scandal (accounting fraud, not cocaine - the judge who sentenced former Lotus Managing Director Fred Bushnell to 3 years commented that had Chapman lived and Delorean been extradited there was ample evidence to have sent them both away for 10 years).

Colin Chapman, Inside the Innovator  Karl Ludvigsen
This one is not released yet in the U.S. but going by this review it will be worth picking up. Rather than a chronology, it's an exploration of Chapman's success and failure on the technical side.

Tales from the Toolbox: A Collection of Behind-the-Scenes Tales from Grand Prix Mechanics  Michael Oliver
Relive some simpler days of F1 (through the 1970s), from a unique point of view. The many pictures are mostly from mechanics' personal collections.
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

WorkingOnIt

Re: A list of media (books, CDs, DVDs) of interest to car enthusiasts

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Here's a domestic read (from my point of view).  Another out-of-print tome worth finding.

[img width=220 height=333]http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G ... 9010.L.jpg[/img]
Ford: The Men and the Machine  Robert Lacey
The Men are Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, Henry II, and Lee Iacocca.
It covers Henry's early days up through Henry II's firing of Iacocca.

This is one of those "you can't make this stuff up" stories. The epitome of ego and family dysfunction. It's been a while since I read it, but here are a few things I remember off the top of my head.

- Henry built his first gas powered 'quadricycle' in a coal shed behind his rented duplex, and then discovered it would not fit through the door. An axe to the brick wall solved the problem. His unhappy landlord eventually allowed him to install a larger door rather than restore the original opening. This is sometimes credited as America's first garage door.
- Henry's ego, stubbornness, and authoritarianism drove the company to the brink of failure, not once but twice (saved first time by the 1927 Model A, one of Edsel's few victories against the old man's autocracy, and the second by the '49 Ford, after Henry's death and Henry II's successful purge of his grandfather's cronies and installation of the "whiz kids").
- Assembly line Model T's were offered only in Black, not for uniformity, but because the black pigment dried faster than other colors, allowing increased production.
- Most people are probably aware of Henry's $5/day and reduced workweek innovations, but did you know the degree of social engineering that went with it?  $5/day was not automatic - it was a bonus level. Families had to submit to invasive visits, interviews, and evaluations from Ford's 'Sociological Department' to prove they were living proper lives and deserved the highest bonus pay.
- Henry bought and published a weekly newspaper, The Dearborn Independent, in the 1920s, in large part to spew anti-semitic vitriol (and then expressed dismay and confusion that a long time family friend, a Rabbi, stopped speaking to him).
- Henry Ford is the only American mentioned in Mein Kampf.
- Henry loved his rural roots and was forever conflicted about the industrialization he helped spark - he engaged in many agricultural experiments over the years, including biomass derived alcohol for fuel and plant derived plastics. Soybeans worked best, but he tried many crops in his plastics experiments - including marihuana.
- If you have read Lee Iacocca's autobiography, this book supplies some balance. Lacey disputes several Iacocca assertions about his Ford years with solid documentation.
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.