Belgian GP (Spa) 2010

fiestycolumbian

Belgian GP (Spa) 2010

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 am

Going to be attending the GP, anyone else in Europe attending?

Recommendations on best places to sit? I have the Bronze General Admission pass for all 3 days.

fiesty

fiestycolumbian

Re: Belgian GP (Spa) 2010

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 am

Cool simulator video by Red Bull:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/02/vide ... #continued

fiesty

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:25 am

I haven't been to the GP there but having driven the circuit there are a few things you will want to see.
The first is an F1 car through Eau Rouge. The hill running down to it is much steeper in real life than you think on the TV. In the Atom it was 6th gear in (with a lift) then full throttle once you had turned to the right heading up the hill. An F1 car will be full throttle all the way from La Source hairpin right the way through Eau Rouge and won't brake until the end of the straight. The brake at about 50m and this would be another good spot for viewing.

Pouhon is an amazing corner and would be great to watch an F1 car there.

2nd part of Blancimont would also be amazing. I could never get it quite flat through that part of the corner but a F1 car will be easily flat which would be very cool.

The final corner of the track is the bus stop (or was in the old days anyway) which is a big stop and therefore overtaking spot.

Finally, La Source. I'm not sure if you can get anywhere near it on a GP weekend but there is usually some carnage there on the first corner of the race.

So, basically, it's all good and you are in for the treat of a lifetime!

Let us all know what you thought of it when you get back.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 am

A love note to Spa-Francorchamps, and skepticism about Tilke and the Austin track.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... rong-track

"Standing in these places, listening to the echoes of heroism and tragedy, it made me laugh to think that Hermann Tilke, Bernie Ecclestone's pet circuit designer, has apparently been asked to incorporate the outlines of famous corners from historic tracks into a new Formula One facility in Austin, Texas. Just what the world needs: the first karaoke grand prix."