Ferrari 360

johnnyboy

Re: Ferrari 360

Post by johnnyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Guess its just the waiting game at the moment to get the right price. Thanks for all your comments Guy's.

993rs

Post by 993rs » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm

I had a 360 for about two years, and basically had no real complaints.  The battery would drain due to lack of use.  Mine also had the F1 gearbox, which was a fun gimmick at first, but over time I developed a dislike for it.  The way it wanted to shift was often at odds with what I wanted it to do in terms of abruptness of the clutch engagement.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:47 pm

[quote="993rs"]
I had a 360 for about two years, and basically had no real complaints.  The battery would drain due to lack of use.  Mine also had the F1 gearbox, which was a fun gimmick at first, but over time I developed a dislike for it.  The way it wanted to shift was often at odds with what I wanted it to do in terms of abruptness of the clutch engagement.
[/quote]

Got better on the 430...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Intending to stick with the manual gearbox if possible, only exercise I get these days. :laugh:

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 am

I was originally planning on getting a 360, but found that it didn't jump off the line like I was hoping. I got so much more pumped up about the Atom after riding in one that the 360 seemed tame in comparison. I drove the 16M which is a beast and good fun, but too much money for me.

The Atom will ruin other cars for me I suspect. You need something like the GT3 RS or the Scuderia to catch your attention.

Of course, if you don't like / got tired of the Atom, then it's a whole different question and the 360 is an absolute steal these days.

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 am

[quote="Rob McPherson"]Speaking to a couple of ex-owners (both had converted to Porsche turbos) they confirmed the stories of people spitting on them/keying them, etc

. . .

However, I think if you've got relatively deep pockets, and don't mind occasional abuse, then go for it.

Cheers,
Rob[/quote]
Keying a car?  Spitting on a car?  It makes no sense.  Why would anyone do something like that?  :H:

The 360 is a nice car: there's no need to do that.  I wouldn't want a Ferrari owner to key or spit upon my car.  So . . . why?

Mystified,

Jacob Potts :H:

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 am

[quote="Jacob Potts"]
Keying a car?  Spitting on a car?  It makes no sense.  Why would anyone do something like that?  :H:
Jacob Potts :H:[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Because, in the UK at least, there are some envious or jealous individuals who will damage it simply because they don't, or will never own, an expensive sports car. The Americans seem to applaud success, whereas some Brits take a less generous view and vent their jealousy on property. I have a neighbour with an S2000, not a particularly high dollar car, and it's been keyed twice. He sold it because he got tired of the hassle.

I know what I'd do with a moron that attempts to key one of my cars, and it's not fit for typing on a public forum.  :)
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 pm

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
[quote="Jacob Potts"]
Jacob Potts :H:[/quote]Because, in the UK at least, there are some envious or jealous individuals who will damage it simply because they don't, or will never own, an expensive sports car. The Americans seem to applaud success, whereas some Brits take a less generous view and vent their jealousy on property. I have a neighbour with an S2000, not a particularly high dollar car, and it's been keyed twice. He sold it because he got tired of the hassle.

I know what I'd do with a moron that attempts to key one of my cars, and it's not fit for typing on a public forum.  :)[/quote]
Thank you, Steve Gibson!  You gave me a succinct summary of a complex topic in a way that I, someone not of your culture, can understand.  You have given me a rare gift.  You have opened a window on your world and let me see.  Thank you so much!

I also understand your strong emotion!

Gratefully yours,

Jacob Potts :-)

uvii

Post by uvii » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:53 pm

My mate runs a performance car hire club. He told me Lambos cost him twice the running cost of his Porsches, and Ferraris cost him 3 times what the Lambo costs. These costs are based on the cars actually being driven.

Only 360 i'd consider is someone elses, save a few more pennies and get a 430 if you must have an F-car. ps. look at the Lambos, much more fun.

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 am

[quote="johnnyboy"]
Having thoughts of buying a low mileage Modena 360 coupe, anyone have any experience good or bad about the car? ???
[/quote]

So Johnny Boy, did you take the plunge.........and if so how's the experience been?

Cheers Wattie!

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Wattie

No the garage wouldn't play ball on the price so changed direction now looking at replacing the subaru with a new RS Focus. Bit of a difference but could be as much fun.

Regards
John

wattie

Post by wattie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 am

[quote="johnnyboy"]
Hi Wattie

No the garage wouldn't play ball on the price so changed direction now looking at replacing the subaru with a new RS Focus. Bit of a difference but could be as much fun.

Regards
John
[/quote]

Yup, gets some great write ups!

cheers wattie

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 am

[quote="johnnyboy"]
Hi Wattie

Regards
John
[/quote]

If you need the back seats then it's got to be a good call but if you can make do with two then the R26.r is a joy to drive. It has an amazing chasis and I believe is slightly quicker round a track than the Focus. With 70hp less you might not believe it but I was staggered with what I was overtaking last week.
For less than £20k, it's a total bargain.
Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

wattie

Post by wattie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am

[quote="wasp"]
[quote="johnnyboy"]
Hi Wattie

Regards
John
[/quote]

If you need the back seats then it's got to be a good call but if you can make do with two then the R26.r is a joy to drive. It has an amazing chasis and I believe is slightly quicker round a track than the Focus. With 70hp less you might not believe it but I was staggered with what I was overtaking last week.For less than £20k, it's a total bargain.
Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]
By some weird coincidence Stu I've been rereading Evo COTY08 where it comes 3rd beating the Alfa 8c, Maserati GT and Aston V8. They said it was the "unquestionable hero" of the show!...qite some car!

cheers Wattie

alpinestars

Post by alpinestars » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 am

I had a 360 for about a year.  Very similar spec to a CS before they came out, eg carbon seats, F1, fire extinguisher etc.  Never had any problems with it other than the battery going flat after 2 or 3 weeks but this is easily cured by putting it on a charger. 

I would not buy one without the shields as you will find it hard to sell - strange but true.

I would also opt for a manual box, a bit slower but much more satisfying.  The paddle shift is a pain in the ar$e when you need slow speed control eg, parking.

I currently own an R26R and I agree with the previous posts, great fun and rare rare rare.