USGP 2012, Austin, TX

dp35

USGP 2012, Austin, TX

Post by dp35 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Driver are you listening??

Unlike the recent speculation of various USGP locations, this is an official announcement.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html
Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

CalScot

Re: USGP 2012, Austin, TX

Post by CalScot » Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm

This is pretty neat! Dare say I might even make it to the first race in 2012 :)
Also it might be a nice track to host an Atom event. Atomfest III perhaps ;)

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Outstanding!! Brilliant City! And Pete I'm with you re: driving there!!

Nice.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 pm

pretty sure I can make that!

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I will no doubt be there for the first race in 2012, hope its in the summer, in conjunction with the Canadian GP.

I am very intrigued about the racetrack design. Very daunting to build a new facility in this economy. (The Indian GP has been postponed to 2011, and that doesnt even seem a lock. )

I wish the promoters and the city of Austin the best of luck in getting the track built and ready for a round of the 2012 F1 WC.

I am definitely up for an Atom event around the GP, that would be awesome!!!!

fiesty

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Tue May 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Reading it again though, it's not a for sure deal yet is it?

Donnington Park leaps to mind.  Sure hope it materialises.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I will no doubt be there for the first race in 2012, hope its in the summer, in conjunction with the Canadian GP.
[/quote]

Montreal is a little more comfortable in June than central Texas (or even central Texas in May).
Attachments
precipitation.png
tempF.png
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 pm

it's going to be hot as fook  glad I'm used to it. >:D

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 26, 2010 3:26 am

Yeah I've heard about it. Austin beat out Las Vegas, New York, and others. Just pray some tree hugger, water rights, Save Our Springs or Neighborhood Association doesn't start making a fuss. It was a NA that made the drag boat races cease over 30 years ago.  Fingers crossed that we get such a cool event and the facilities that would attract others. I also would pray it happens early like April or May or later in Oct so we might get a break from the H E A T.

Links:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 10824.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/25/brea ... s-in-2012/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/austin-t ... grand-prix

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

Driver,

I just wanted to be first to reserve your spare bedroom / sofa / basement.  Will try to make it over for this and a reasonable central location for Atomfest III !

That is all

Ben

Steve050567

Post by Steve050567 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 am

Would be excellent to see a US GP, but just to be slightly less positive, when was the last time a decent ground up circuit has been built in f1.

There are plenty of existing facilities in the US that could be used, the circuit in New York looked pretty cool and plenty of others are used for Indy/ Cart (whatever it's called now) and the US Le Mans series that could be utilised, just seem's like a huge investment for something that would have limited use outside of the GP weekend.

Just my view.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed May 26, 2010 5:12 pm

[quote="Steve050567"]
Would be excellent to see a US GP, but just to be slightly less positive, when was the last time a decent ground up circuit has been built in f1.

[/quote]

I was disappointed that we won't get the Grand Prix Congress Avenue straight.  :)
view south

view north
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Wed May 26, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 26, 2010 5:50 pm

I don't know, I think the Shoal Creek Bends would be pretty cool (N Lamar between 12th and 30th street). :) Considering how many times Congress Ave has been torn up and patched for every new hi rise condo down there I cannot see them possibly using it for any type of straight unless Trophy Trucks are the vehicle of choice. :)

Bring it on Ben. (Basements are a non-starter in Texas, 3 inches down you usually hit bedrock, garages and attics are where its at. But we could get a small tent city going in the back yard, can borrow the 35 foot coach from Mom and sleeping bags in the living room are always a possibility).  ;D

:pop:

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Here's a reaction thread by fans of Austin, but not necessarily racing fans:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=182007
It will be fun to check in after a few more days of comment - this group has very passionate ideas about what is and isn't good for their city.

And for potential visitors, here's a cool recent photo-tour thread of Austin and San Antonio.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181583
...don't be put off by the forum name - the pictures are more than just buildings

[img width=800 height=533]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4569871998_ea142658f1_o.jpg[/img]

[img width=447 height=600]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4569872820_b9439b457a_o.jpg[/img]
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curt

Post by curt » Wed May 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Austin is 1525 miles from me.  Montreal is 590 miles.  I may have to make a road trip to my first F1 race in the near future.