F1 - 1st test of 2010

dp35

F1 - 1st test of 2010

Post by dp35 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 am

Can't believe no one else has commented yet.  Finally, something real to talk about in F1. 

- Michael was 3rd fastest overall, and 0.5 sec faster than Nico in both driver's 1st laps in the Mercedes F1 car. 
- Rubino advises Nico to "get out" of Mercedes, rather than face off with The Great one.
- Massa is fastest.
- DeLaRosa was 2nd fastest in the BMW/Sauber/Ferrari (BMW/Ferrari?)
- Many new cars revealed for the 1st time. 
- Rumors about "cheating" diffusers have already begun.
- Can't wait to see who's faster, Lewis or Jenson.

Pick your topic, state an opinion, and someone is certain to disagree.

fiestycolumbian

Re: F1 - 1st test of 2010

Post by fiestycolumbian » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 am

[quote="dp35"]
Pick your topic, state an opinion, and someone is certain to disagree.
[/quote]

;D

Of course, the entire breadth of the 4 week testing period has to be taken into account before concrete opinions are made about teams, car hierarchy, driver hierarchy, etc., but nothing wrong about talking about day 1:

-Schumi, Brawn, Mercedes combo will be tough to beat. A 7 time world champion doesnt lose his talent, even after a sabatical. You can just see his enthusiasm about being back. That, in my dictionary, is very dangerous! Funny, I never liked Schumi, but I think his return is a big part of what till make 2010, the greatest F1 season in a long time.
-Glad to see Massa back, and in top form. He and Nico are dark horses for the championship.
-Definitely interested in how many diffusers each car has!!, some cars are said to have tri- or quad diffusers!! :o In all honesty, I dont car if you have 1 or 5 diffusers, it aint cheating in 2010. The FIA has opened this part of the rulebook, and I wont care for any cheating claims, anything is game in 2010.
-Because of the massive fuel tanks, it makes it even harder to judge pace. I wont be suprised to see a new team on top every test day.
-What I would look for, if possible, is videos of drivers attacking corners, and see which drivers, and cars just struggle in either high speed corners, or low speed mechanically dependent corners. I would also look strongly at tire wear. The driver and teams that limit tire wear will be the most consistent and the fastest.

Yearly Predicitions:
-Lewis vs. Jenson: I think Lewis will be quicker initially, but I would be shocked if Jenson doesnt have at least a few wins by the end of the season. I had said last year watch out for Jenson's smooth style, and 2010 will require an even more smoother driving style. Tire management will be huge. Jense vs. Lewis will be a great battle eventually. Lewis
-Alonso vs. Massa: Dont even have a clue, incumbent vs. 2 time WC. I flip a coin and go with Alonso.
-Schumi vs. Rosberg, a 7 time WC vs. a guy who has never won a race. Not gonna be close!!
-Vettel vs. Webber: uhhh.. all-in on Vettel :)

Suprises:
Sauber, Lotus, or Virgin to score a podium.

Races:
-not sure how races are going to be drawn out. How will massive fuel loads play on starts and racing??

2010 prediction
F1 2010 will be great!!: 8 winners, championship decided at last race.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 am

Did not really have time to follow this yesterday so thanks for the summary.  A few general points:

-Nico Rosberg seems to be Nico Rosberg's biggest fan, I know all racing drivers are self confident / arrogant but some of the bs he came out with last year implying he was too good for Williams annoyed me coming from a non race winner.  Still having MS as his team mate seems to have wiped the grin off his face, he looks miserable in every recent picture.
-The McLaren battle will be interesting, I can't see it going Jenson's way this year at least.
-Ferrari, I don't really care for either of their drivers.

I got very long odds on Webber for the title so hopefullly he is the surprise of the year, he underperformed last year and had some bad luck yet was still very close to the highly rated Vettel so at 34:1 is worth an each way punt IMO.

Roll on the first race

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 am

I am really looking forward to this season - I just hope we once again improve the actual racing. With some of the characters it would be likely we will - Schuey proving he's not lost it, Alonso with old scores to settle, Lewis getting his crown back, Jenson proving it wasnt just the car, Vettel trying to show he really is at the top and Massa proving his mind is ok. Should be great !!

Rosberg is gonna be a definite No 2 and will hate it I reckon. Who dominates in Massa / Alonso will be fascinating. Then you have Lewis and Jenson !! Gonna be great in team rivalry too.

Oooh I am getting excited....

Trigger
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Although its way too early to say this, I'm going to anyways - Ferarri looks GOOD.  Not only were both of their drivers faster than any others all 3 days, but they also did the most laps, without any serious issues reported.

Ferarri had better enjoy their moment of glory while they can, because the USF1 cars will be hitting the track soon (maybe).

John H

Post by John H » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Schumacher is 6/1 to win the title on Betfair.....................that's a good price methinks

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 pm

small chance i may attend silverstone...mum & auntie have booked and with schumi back i think i'd be silly not to. really enjoyed getting soaked to the core and the 2am taxi trip. button complaining about his seat did i hear right????

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

[quote="John H"]
Schumacher is 6/1 to win the title on Betfair.....................that's a good price methinks
[/quote]

I had a flutter on Mark Webber as he was well priced at 34/1 IMO and hear me out on this:

- Started last year recovering from a very serious injury
- Generally matched his highly rated team mate and had the measure of him some weekends
- The Red Bull was generally the best car last year only the inexperience of the team cost them both titles IMO

Having said all that may have an insurance bet on Massa also well priced 'vs his team mate.

Ben

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am

Re-reading this topic it seems Ben was the only one who seems to have got it anywhere near correct.

I was at Duxford air museum yesterday and Lotus were blasting one of their F1 cars down the runway to check how close their computer simulations are to the real world.  And the test driver in the car was 16 years old.  My god I'm old and past it.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am

[quote="PaulP"]
Re-reading this topic it seems Ben was the only one who seems to have got it anywhere near correct.

I was at Duxford air museum yesterday and Lotus were blasting one of their F1 cars down the runway to check how close their computer simulations are to the real world.  And the test driver in the car was 16 years old.  My god I'm old and past it.
[/quote]

Even better I did not take the insurance bet on Massa!

I was also at Duxford yesterday and wondered who's Atom it was (see spotted thread), mystery solved.  Only the third time I have randomly seen one in the wild!

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 am

Ben - you are a legend ! 34/1 is great odds......but we'll see if Red Bull can convert it this year. I really want Hammy to do it but it's gonna rely of Red Bull failures.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....