New race car in my stable

dp35

New race car in my stable

Post by dp35 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am

Last weekend I bought a Spec Miata race car.  This car has most of the right performance parts to start with.  I paid $7,000.  Its been raced for a season, and although its race ready, I'm going to do several things to make it more competitive.  I'm not crazy about its color, but once I remove the oversized/ugly decals, paint the wheels black, and lower it to the proper race ride height, it should look a lot better. 

This is good news/bad news for my Atom.  Mostly good news though because it won't be asked to race anymore, and won't be doing as many track days either.  It'll now be able to rest on its laurels as it relaxes into semi-retirement.  The Atom will still be called into action for the WCA and similar events, and might find itself driven on the street more often.  The bad news for the Atom is that it will no longer be the focus of my attention, and some of the projects & improvements I had in mind for it will be delayed indefinitley. 

This will enable me to exercise my urge to compete, in the most competitive class of all, at a relatively low cost.  I want to find out if I'm any good at this, and it might take a couple years to get the full potential out of my car and self.  I raced rented Spec Miata's a few times in 2009, with above average results for a beginner.  Because of that, I now have some really good help dialing in my new car. 

The only reason I was able to hit the ground running in Spec Miata was because I learned how to drive fast in an Atom.  Once you figure out the Atom, driving other cars feels like slow motion, and its easier. 

I'm really looking forward to racing this year, and I'd welcome any of my Atom friends that feel like coming out to spectate.
Attachments
SM small.jpg
SM small.jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Last edited by dp35 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

macpdx

Re: New race car in my stable

Post by macpdx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 am

Very nice.
Will you be running SCCA or NASA, or both?

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 am

Come and spectate my arse! Get a passenger seat in that pile of junk and I'll come along for a ride is more like it :laugh:

Congrats Darin. I know you'll be at the front of the pack in no time.

Much the same for for my Atom as well. More road time and less track although I do plan on keeping my big trailer if at all feasible and that means I can haul both cars with me to the track and I will use the Atom for errands and after track jaunts.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:48 am

Mac - I'm not sure exactly, probably some of both.  If I surprise myself and think I can contend for the SCCA regional championship, I'll focus on it only.  But that's not likely. 

Pete - passengers aren't so good in that one, because (to borrow your expression) it doesn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice puddin.  I think you're chances of beating me are better than ever, if we each drive our new race cars.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:42 am

Best of luck! :H:  :pop:

positron

Post by positron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:31 am

Congrats and well done, looks like a good buy.  :tu:

I call first on predicting the National Champion in under two years..