Lose/lose Schumacher?

Bruce Fielding

Lose/lose Schumacher?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:46 am

I can't see what MS hopes to gain from signing for Mercedes...

He won't be in the fastest car, he won't be in the best shape, and everyone will be out to get him.

He currently is a living legend. It looks to me that the legend may just fade in 2010.

Lose the title. Lose the legend.

What will he win?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Hedge

Re: Lose/lose Schumacher?

Post by Hedge » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 am

Er, the title?

How can you so confidently assert he won't be in the fastest car, 3 months before kick off? He could be. No-one foresaw Brawn, after all.

I wouldn't put it beyond him to win the Championship, not at all. All bets are off, in my opinion, after 2009.

Cheers, Hedge

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 am

[quote="Hedge"]
How can you so confidently assert he won't be in the fastest car, 3 months before kick off? He could be. No-one foresaw Brawn, after all.

I wouldn't put it beyond him to win the Championship, not at all. All bets are off, in my opinion, after 2009.
[/quote]

Brawn made the most of an advantage whilst they had it thanks to a major rule change.

The only rule change worth noting for 2010 is no refuelling. Ferrari have had time to make their car driveable and have the most consistently good driver currently in F1 in one of their cars (possibly one of three). McLaren already had just about the fastest car by the end of 2009 and there's no reason to assume that a larger fuel tank will change that. They also have two world champions in the team... Yes, they might baulk each other but that should only serve to advantage Ferrari.

There are also a number of new teams mixing things up, so anyone not on the first three rows is in jeopardy from the start of each race.

I agree, however, that it's going to be an interesting season...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:55 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Hedge"]

[/quote]

Brawn made the most of an advantage whilst they had it thanks to a major rule change.

The only rule change worth noting for 2010 is no refuelling. Ferrari have had time to make their car driveable and have the most consistently good driver currently in F1 in one of their cars (possibly one of three). McLaren already had just about the fastest car by the end of 2009 and there's no reason to assume that a larger fuel tank will change that. They also have two world champions in the team... Yes, they might baulk each other but that should only serve to advantage Ferrari.

There are also a number of new teams mixing things up, so anyone not on the first three rows is in jeopardy from the start of each race.

I agree, however, that it's going to be an interesting season...
[/quote]

McLaren were possibly the fastest car but still had KERs at the end of 2009, would it have been fastest without it ? 

Ben

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:38 pm

I can't see Schumi's reputation being done too much harm even if it goes woefully wrong. Mansell hasn't suffered from his Maclaren foray. He was obviously born to race and he still keeps the current boys on their toes when he does the ROC and suchlike.
Also, can't see him doing badly, he was annoyingly good even in the 96 Ferrari which was a pile of pants. He is also one of the few drivers who remember what it's like to drive the car with a seriously heavy fuel load.
It will be the making or breaking of Rosberg though I think.

Cheers,

Stuart
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Love it, love it, love it, love it. :tu:

Bring it on
Is he back purely to win or is the opportunity to mix it up with some of the best young talent in decades racing fir a german manufacturer too much to resist.

The last few seasons have been incredible but significantly it's how close 4 of the teams were at the end of 09 that amazes me. I really hope the cars are a close match for 2010 then we could be up for something very special indeedey :)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:18 pm

MS has already built his legend, and his 7 WDC's can't be taken away.  He has all the money and time he could ever want, and the freedom to do whatever he wants.  What he wants to do is drive the best race cars in the world, and race them against the best drivers.  I doubt that he considers protecting his legend a higher priority than having a good time doing what he loves, especially considering this opportunity and the people involved. 

Which Mercedes will have the red camera?

Who's the 3rd Mercedes F1 driver?

Bruce - you forgot to include Vettel & Red Bull amongst the 2010 contenders.  The field just got deeper.  Now we have a British team, a German team, and a Latin team - who needs A1GP.  Can't wait for the 2010 season to start!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 pm

[quote="dp35"]
Bruce - you forgot to include Vettel & Red Bull amongst the 2010 contenders.  The field just got deeper.  Now we have a British team, a German team, and a Latin team - who needs A1GP.  Can't wait for the 2010 season to start!
[/quote]

Which of the teams is German ? 

Red Bull - Made in UK, engines are French which I suppose was part of Germany for a while last century
Mercedes - Chassis made in UK, engine made in UK
McLaren - Chassis made in UK, engine made in UK
Ferrari - Italian as far as I know, although chassis development was in the UK at what is now the Renault factory iirc

Quite a few German drivers mind you.

Ben

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:31 pm

You know which team is "German", just like I know that 90% of F1 comes from the UK.  Please just don't ask me about the "American" F1 team.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:29 pm

[quote="dp35"]
Please just don't ask me about the "American" F1 team.
[/quote]

They might surprise us all ;)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 am

Alex Worse has signed a pre contract if they make it to the grid.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="dp35"]
Please just don't ask me about the "American" F1 team.
[/quote]

They might surprise us all ;)
[/quote]

If they show up?

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
Alex Worse has signed a pre contract if they make it to the grid.[/quote]

You mean Alex Wurz?  According to this article, he gave up on USF1 in November. 
http://en.espnf1.com/teamus/motorsport/story/3822.html

IMO he would be the best thing that could happen to this team.

sportyking

Post by sportyking » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:17 am

You can tell which are the German teams by the blankets left on their grid positions (towels are not big enough).
Last edited by sportyking on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Apparently I'm not alone, since some Brits on the BBC are referring to a "German" team and a "British" team.  As seen in this interview with The Man himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEALGdlWxw&feature=player_embedded