25 Hours of Thunderhill

dp35

25 Hours of Thunderhill

Post by dp35 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:46 am

This past weekend I raced in the biggest race of my tiny little auto racing career, the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.  I joined a team that won its class in 2008, with a Mazda Miata.  The other 3 drivers were experienced Spec Miata and enduro racers, and I was the new guy they hoped would not wreck the car or go too slow. 

This race includes all sorts of cars, with Porsche GT3 cup cars and prototypes at the top of the food chain, and Miatas near the bottom.  There were all sorts of drivers too, including pros like Wolf Henzler, Johannes Van Overbeek, John Fogarty, Randy Pobst, etc.  Being among the slower cars on track was a new experience for me after all the track days in the Atom. 

The top two overall finishers were both Porsche cup cars, with a Catterham finishing 3rd.  Does that make you wonder how an Atom would/could do in this race?  Me too!

Our team was in contention for a class win most of the way until we suffered a hub failure with less than 2 hours remaining.  At that time we were reeling in the class leader for a potential sprint race to the end.  I was happy to be able to deliver 6 hours of quick laps without any major mistakes, and without getting taken out by any of the much faster overall leading cars.

Our class winner was the first person to ever complete this race alone.  That's right, he drove raced for 25 hours non-stop, and also won.  His name is Steve "Gorilla" Gorarrian, from Rhode Island, and he's the recently crowned SCCA Spec Miata national champion.  I had a great battle with him around 6:30 AM, just after sunrise.  At that time we both did our fastest laps of the race.  I set the fastest time of any car in our class, only to be topped by Gorilla on (I think) his 542nd lap.

Another amazing Gorilla stat - I read on the Miata forum that he drove himself 1.5 hours to the airport after the race & took a red eye back to the east coast, so he could report to his day job this morning. Apparently Gorillas don't need sleep.

Around 5AM a UFO emerged from a cloud of dust around 2 BMW's in front of me going through a high speed turn.  With no way to avoid it I only hoped it was soft.  As you see below, it was not.

DarthChicken

Re: 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:14 am

So the hood and the windshield?  :o

After the hub failure, you were done, correct?  No spare parts?

congrats on doing well though!  Second fastest lap in class is nothing to sneeze at!  :tu:

positron

Post by positron » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:32 am

Cool stuff  :tu: and Congrats.. send more pics..

Good thing you didn't have to take the UFO while in the Atom.. that would have been ugly..

I can't imagine driving at that pace, that long.. I'm tired after 30 minutes.. :wize:
Last edited by positron on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 am

Exciting moment during my 2nd stint, in Turn 8 at around 5AM:  http://www.vimeo.com/8131066

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:16 am

Well done Darin !

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Looks like something thown out of the car in the front of that group? !

Wasn't food was it? (Apple?)

John
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Thunderhill is a great track.Do they ever use the corkscrew,or does it slow down things too much?  That was some solid debris. I'll bet the Atom would do well in an endurance race.

macpdx

Post by macpdx » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Nice run Darin.
Are you still smiling?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Another close call during my 1st stint:  http://www.vimeo.com/8227151