Button to McLaren?

dp35

Button to McLaren?

Post by dp35 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 am

I'm curious how the Brits like the idea of Jenson teaming up with Lewis in the silver cars?  Rumors are all over that he was at the McL factory last week.  Speculation is that this was at the minimum a good bargaining move for both sides, if JB ends up staying at Brawn and McL signs Kimi. 

Intersting post from another forum, from a person claiming to be a McL employee:

I saw button at work on friday and I can tell you that the reason for the visit was to see if he could actually fit in the car!! if he cant its all over for him at macs as we havnt got time to alter it they moved the pedals of the 2008&2009 car as far forward as possible to try and squeeze him in and if they could he was going to have a seat fitting whilst he was there I dont know the result yet sorry!! and kimi is in next week for a fitting also as they know that he will fit already.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132699&f=1#p132699

fiestycolumbian

Re: Button to McLaren?

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:43 am

Brawn to confirm 75% Meredes buy-in, Rosberg and Heidfeld(?)

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 00,00.html

Looks like McLaren will either sign the 09 Champ, Button, or the 07 champ, Kimi, talk about being spoiled with drivers choices!!

On a side note, I am a bit happy about the new Indian F1 racetrack coming to reality. I was at the racetrack grounds before they started construction just last year. Will definitely make the trek for the inaugural race in 2011.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/11/15/2 ... ck-design/

fiesty

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 am

I was chatting to a chap who works for Brawn on Saturday evening and he confirmed that Button was at McLaren last week (Thursday I think he said) he was kind of worried about his (Brawn's) team's lack of drivers and felt the longer it took them to sign Button the more likely it was he would goto McLaren.  Both of us agreed that Lewis would probably have the measure of him.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:22 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[/quote]

German team.

Shame they're based in Brackley.

If only there was a fully equipped race team headquarters based in Germany. Cologne perhaps...

Oh...

Hang on...
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Heidfeld sounds like not a bad idea, he is 33 and should be completely bolted on, he has had some good seasons before this one, if it does happen, then this could be his last chance to win a race finally!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[/quote]

German team.

Shame they're based in Brackley.

If only there was a fully equipped race team headquarters based in Germany. Cologne perhaps...

Oh...

Hang on...
[/quote]

No chance.  That will go back to being a Toyota Le Mans / Rally centre.  You can't get the staff in Germany!

IME MBHPE have been moving things from Germany to the UK not vice versa

Ben

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 am

I guess the reports are that Button has signed a 18MM/3yr deal with McLaren.

McLaren have poached Jenson from Brawn/Mercedes, after Mercedes has left the team, at the same time denying Kimi a spot in F1 next year, forcing Ferrari to pay Kimi his full payoff for next year.
In summary, create a all powerhouse British team, with the 2 current World Champions, at the same time indirectly taking shots at Mercedes and Ferrari. Win, Win!!

On a sad note, it seems the last we have seen of Kimi in an F1 car.

fiesty

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:27 am

No so fast about Kimi.  You might be right, but he could still sign with Brawn.  They now have Mercedes money and unknown sponsors.  One thing Kimi wants is less mandatory sponsor appearances.  Since Brawn's 2010 sponsors are still being negotiated, seems like he could do a contract without those usual appearances required.  Might not happen, but could.  I'd like to see Kimi & Rosberg at Brawn.  I'd hate to see a Brawn seat wasted on Heidfeld, as rumored. 

Kimi could also still sign with Red Bull.  The 2nd STR seat is still open, and Weber could be sent there to make room for Kimi.  Red Bull supposedly doesn't have as many appearances required of their drivers.

It'll be fun to see how Button stacks up vs. Hamilton.  I'm sure most people expect Lewis to dominate that matchup, but we won't really know until it happens.  Which McLaren would have the red camera?

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 am

I do believe Lewis will out drive Jenson at most times but actually I think it will be a strong team, with Jenson not far behind.

Kimi most definitely hates the PR side of things. My sister runs PR at Mubadala and Kimi is a pain - never wears the Hat when he is meant to, and isnt very good with clients etc. I do hope he is in F1 next year though.

Trigger
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:51 am

With the ban on re-fuelling next year, the cars will be carrying a fair bit more weight around. This will certainly wear components such as the brakes more quickly.
The smoother drivers should benefit from this. Therefore Button might not be as quick over one lap as Lewis but over a race distance I think he will end up in front. Both Lewis and Nico are super fast but will take time to adapt their driving styles to protecting the car. Heidfeld might be able to do the same thing at Bracedes?
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:00 am

True Lewis is a bit harder on the car than Jenson but I dont believe there will be much difference. They will still stop for tyres wont they ?
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:09 am

[quote="Trigger"]
True Lewis is a bit harder on the car than Jenson but I dont believe there will be much difference. They will still stop for tyres wont they ?
[/quote]

Yep, that's true, but the brakes have looked really marginal at a number of circuits this year and the extra weight for the first half of the race could well manifest itself in more failures towards the end of the race. Plus tyre wear will increase. With Bridgestone leaving at the end of 2010 will they really develop the tyres beyond this years specification? Those who can manage the tyres (IMO Button did a better job on the softs this year than anyone else) will be seconds a lap faster at the end of the race.
I was watching an old re-run of a 1990 race recently and changing the tyres was regularly making the difference of 2-3 secs per lap as the old ones were shot to bits.
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Mclaren Offered Kimi £10,000,000 he was holding out for £13,500,000 as he would only lose £6.5m to what Ferrari would pay him off next year.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 pm

[quote="dp35"]
Kimi could also still sign with Red Bull.  The 2nd STR seat is still open, and Weber could be sent there to make room for Kimi.  Red Bull supposedly doesn't have as many appearances required of their drivers.
[/quote]

Why would they do that?  I suspect Webber will be stronger next year and may show that Vettel is perhaps not that much better then him.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 pm

just hope JB keeps the aggressive stance like he did in his last race - and carries it out all next season - true jenson is the smoother driver which may help him in the conservation of his tyres in any of the new regulations that are enforced regards pitting/longevity of tyres. concerned that the McLaren team seems built around lewis as they have built him up since before he was a teen and even though JB is world Champion he may be playing second fiddle. If i was JB i would stay with Ross Brawn ......that man is virtually a god IMO. its sure going to be interesting. roll on sext season because top gear will be finishing soon and then there will be nothing to watch on telly >8-D