Abu Dhabi

dp35

Re: Abu Dhabi

Post by dp35 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

I agree completely with the hypocricy of having F1 races at night, while the rest of us common folk are told to conserve in every way possible.  When describing all the things going on in Abu Dhabi, they showed plans for a city of 50,000 people where there will be no cars, and it will be 100% feel good carbon neutral, solar, etc.  Yet on the other side of the island they've got air conditioned bus stops, air conditioned (open) F1 garages, F1 racing at night, etc.  Reminds me of Al Gore flying around the world in his private jet preaching the urgent need for the rest of us to conserve.

Back on topic - a few of these Tilke circuits would be fine, but why does every new one have to be designed by the same person?  And why can't he just once have a long straight section without a chicane at the beginning and/or end of it?  I predict in the future some of these chicanes will be converted into a single fast corner, which will be a big improvement to these tracks.

Abu Dhabi is clearly a fascinating place, including everything around the F1 circuit.  But it seems like they focused too much of their efforts on all the glitz and glamour, and not enough on the track itself.  The results are obvious - boring race, dumb track.  Given a clean slate like they had, I honestly believe that any one of us could have designed a better track than that one.  Its pretty sad that Mr. Tilke and the others in charge could not even create one memorable corner, unless you count the silly pit exit tunnel (yawn).

About the race - its too bad we didn't get to see a battle between Hamilton and Vettel.  I think Vettel would've prevailed. 

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I agree, they should take out the chicane in Turn 8, and let the entire staight continue all the way to Turn 9, making the straight about 1.5 miles, that should definitely help the racing a lot!

[quote="dp35"]
About the race - its too bad we didn't get to see a battle between Hamilton and Vettel.  I think Vettel would've prevailed.  
[/quote]
Considering that Hammy's brake problem was from the start, I think he would have pulled a much bigger gap, and would have retained the lead and win, but it would have been close no doubt.

I really want to see Hamilton vs. Alonso vs. Button vs. Vettel fighting for wins in 2010, thinking about that makes me excited!

fiesty

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:40 am

James Corden made a bit of a tit of himself at the end with Boris Becker, then i go see him tonight, and he semi-makes up for it lol!

(Concert For Care)

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:35 pm

I want to see Hamilton fighting with Raikkonen and Masa fighting with Alonso and that's just in the garage.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm

[quote="PaulP"]
I want to see Hamilton fighting with Raikkonen and Masa fighting with Alonso and that's just in the garage.
[/quote]

Yeah no sh1t... We need more physical violence in F1, distracts you from the lack of actual racing excitement on track. That fight between Truli & Sutil was pretty entertaining  :pop:

I wonder what new scandal Alonso will bring to Ferrari after Mclaren cheating & crashgate. I hope they've been to Toys R Us 'cause he's going to be throwing a lot of toys  out of his pram when he has to compete with their wunderkind  Massa baby.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:04 pm

[quote="AtomGirl"]
[quote="PaulP"]
[/quote]

Yeah no sh1t... We need more physical violence in F1, distracts you from the lack of actual racing excitement on track. That fight between Truli & Sutil was pretty entertaining  :pop:

I wonder what new scandal Alonso will bring to Ferrari after Mclaren cheating & crashgate. I hope they've been to Toys R Us 'cause he's going to be throwing a lot of toys  out of his pram when he has to compete with their wunderkind  Massa baby.[/quote]

Nothing's even happened yet, and we're already getting entertained by the new Ferrari team!

How will Hamilton deal with Kimi as a teammate? 

curt

Post by curt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Track seemed smooth as silk, though.  I'd still love to drive it.