USF1 approaching joke status

dp35

USF1 approaching joke status

Post by dp35 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:39 pm

It hurts to post this, but I have to vent my frustration.  USF1 is in the news today for various reasons, and none of them are good. 

- They've announced that despite their bold claims, they will not have any American drivers in 2010.  Fair enough, the car needs to be developed and so do American drivers, so maybe in 2011?

- Rather than mention any of the logical young American prospects (such as Edwards, Summerton, Rossi) that with some help might have F1 potential, Peter Windsor has revealed that he's in love with NASCAR driver Kyle Busch, and wants him to drive their car in 2011.  Keep in mind that Busch has never raced an open wheel car & never raced outside of the US (to my knowledge).  http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091022110740.shtml

- The team is looking for a way out of their contract with Cosworth.  This could be because they've got a better offer from another engine supplier (Toyota maybe) or that they're about to fold.  Rumors suggest the latter to be more likely.

- Alex Wurz has given up on driving for USF1.  This sucks because Wurz is known as a good development driver with F1 experience, both of which USF1 desperately needs. http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091022101026.shtml

As a huge fan of the USF1 concept, I find all of this extremely disapointing. I can accept the reality of not having an American driver in 2010, but this obsession with Kyle Busch is just sad.

There are at least 3 young American open wheel drivers with potential.  These drivers need funding to race in Europe next year and beyond. The cost of helping them along would be relatively small in an F1 team's budget. If USF1 was ever serious about having American drivers, they'd already be doing this. McLaren did this with Hamilton, Red Bull does it with numerous drivers, etc.

To overlook the obvious young American open wheel talents for a NASCAR star insults my intelligence.

DFext37 Fielding

Re: USF1 approaching joke status

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Rumour back in June that it was a 'done deal' for J Villieneuve and Dan Patrick!

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Kyle Busch??? You gotta be kidding me.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Peter Windsor is a bit of a numpty in my opinion. To go from being a "Speed Channel" presenter to being a key player in a new race team is a bit of a stretch. Even if he has an extensive background in racing, his talents obviously are more suited to bulshitting in the entertainment business than developing a world class F1 team, otherwise he would not be doing what he has been for the last several years.

The obsession with Busch surely is a ploy and not a joke. I would hope that since the team is based in Nascar country, is pulling team "talent" form the Nascar community and is relying on much of the Nascar infrastructure to supply parts and materials, it's possible that the team is just catering to that community to appease them and get their support and buy in. How can a guy with basically zero track racing ever compete with the talent in F1 today that has came up through the most competetive Karting and Formula racing in the world?
Busch may have talent to go round an oval but he has no experience and will surely be all but useless when tested against even the slowest F1 drivers out there. At the end of the day, I just can't see it happening and think it's just part of the PR BS to capture the attention of sponsors who are predisposed to Nascar from years of brainwashing.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Eddie Hill is a perfect example of why Kyle Busch "could" work.

So I disagree as we've already seen the fastest man in a straight line become on of the fastest atom driver's with just a little practice......cuz he's got more talent in his big toe then most of us have in our whole bodies.....how do you know Kyle Busch isn't the same quality of talent.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 pm

How about the guy that just won IndyCar?

Oh...

Hang on...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Shame Alex Wurz wont be driving for them!

Montoya has been mentioned Nelson Piquet jr is a very strong mention, but he has basically signed for a Truck nascar team, some other names poking around Fisichella etc...

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
How about the guy that just won IndyCar?

Oh...

Hang on...
[/quote]
You mean the Haggis eating Italian  :laugh:

[quote="silver"]
Eddie Hill is a perfect example of why Kyle Busch "could" work.

So I disagree as we've already seen the fastest man in a straight line become on of the fastest atom driver's with just a little practice......cuz he's got more talent in his big toe then most of us have in our whole bodies.....how do you know Kyle Busch isn't the same quality of talent.
[/quote]

Eddie has world records for road racing motorcylces long before we were born. He's no stranger to road racing in one form or another. I have no doubt Kyle Busch is a rare talent. He has no experience in the top end of formula cars though. No amount of talent can substitute experience and no matter what talent he has, there's no way he could jump out of an oval running stock car into an F1 machine and compete with the best in the world. He'd do way better than the average pro driver shmuck, but no way he can compete with those that are also supremely talented and have came up through the ranks of top level karting and GP2. Maybe if he swithched over to indy cars and won a couple of seasons he might have a chance of hanging in F1 for a season or two to get some miles under his belt and possibly make the grade. But straight out of a stock car?? No way!! Look at Button's resume or any of the F1 guys. They are all the best of the best.

I agree with DP35. It's a joke. It's no disrepsect to Busch, it's just a joke. I still go for the angle that they are catering to the Nascar crowd at this early stage. They cannot be that ignorant or stupid....or can they?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 pm

I smell a USF1 - Toyota partnership. 

Toyota could give USF1 cheaper or free engines if they run a Japanese driver (or two).  Since the US is Toyota's biggest market, it would make sense for them too, especially considering they're no longer supplying Williams.  A Kyle Busch test could also be part of a Toyota deal. 

This would make sense of today's news of no American USF1 driver in 2010, USF1 wanting out of its Cosworth engine deal, and the Kyle Busch (Toyota NASCAR driver) praise.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:22 am

I do think NASCAR drivers have the talent if they are allowed to test and delve into open wheel cars, say with a year training.
Some NASCAR guys even have open wheel experience and come from karting background like Stewart, Gordon, Montoya

Not sure of Kyle Busch's background, but if he came up through karting, I don't see the harm in at least a test with USGP.

Ultimately if Bucsh can help with the program, even if it just to aware interest, the I am all for it.

What I don't like is no American drivers. Especially in 2010, where USGP is not expected to do anything, what's the harm in a fresh, quick American driver, and one experienced F1 pilot. Having an American in the first year is a must for USGP to gather awareness and success in the US, where F1 is barely a blip on the sporting map.

2010 still looks exciting, hopefully regs can change to allow more passing or wheel to wheel action. NO KERS is a bummer.

fiestycolumbian

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:01 am

[quote="dp35"]
I smell a USF1 - Toyota partnership. 

Toyota could give USF1 cheaper or free engines if they run a Japanese driver (or two).  Since the US is Toyota's biggest market, it would make sense for them too, especially considering they're no longer supplying Williams.  A Kyle Busch test could also be part of a Toyota deal. 

This would make sense of today's news of no American USF1 driver in 2010, USF1 wanting out of its Cosworth engine deal, and the Kyle Busch (Toyota NASCAR driver) praise.
[/quote]

Problem with taking Toyota engines with a condition of a Japanese driver is they may end up with Nakajima as Williams did this year.  Certainly cost Williams heavily in terms of the constructors title.

Ben

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
Problem with taking Toyota engines with a condition of a Japanese driver is they may end up with Nakajima as Williams did this year.  Certainly cost Williams heavily in terms of the constructors title.[/quote]

Seems like Nakajima has been driving a lot better lately.  Besides, he's probably as good or better than anyone else USF1 will end up with.  The team is probably facing the reality that it will have to use at least one pay driver in 2010, and if they're lucky they can get an experienced development driver in the other car.  Nakajima is probably better than other pay drivers they have to choose from. 

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Kamui Kobayashi!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:19 pm

[quote="dp35"]
[quote="benyeats"]
Problem with taking Toyota engines with a condition of a Japanese driver is they may end up with Nakajima as Williams did this year.  Certainly cost Williams heavily in terms of the constructors title.[/quote]

Seems like Nakajima has been driving a lot better lately.  Besides, he's probably as good or better than anyone else USF1 will end up with.  The team is probably facing the reality that it will have to use at least one pay driver in 2010, and if they're lucky they can get an experienced development driver in the other car.  Nakajima is probably better than other pay drivers they have to choose from. 
[/quote]

Better compared to who, if you mean himself earlier this year then he did not set the bar high for himself.

Kobayashi was impressive on Sunday and shoudl get himself a drive next season

Ben

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm not saying Nakajima's great or even very good.  But I think amongst the pool of pay drivers he's above average, which could make him overqualified for USF1.  Kobayashi was great in Brazil, but it would be nice to see more from him than just one race.  Maybe he'll get a chance in Abu Dhabi.