MP4-12c

jon b

Re: MP4-12c

Post by jon b » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Brilliant Richard. Looks lovely :tu:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Got to sit in one at Pebble Beach Concourse this past weekend. Also got the entire dog & pony show from the US Sales Director who I met in Big Sur when I drove the Atom up and the head Macca Technical dude who came over from the F1 side. Spent a long time with them and got to see the guts of it from the open chassis roller they had. Pretty much the next best thing to a test drive really. I must say, I would pick one over a Fezza any day.

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:15 pm

What can I say Rich but  O0

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Well after just 40miles......

It's fast fast fast, and a proper super-car. Anyone that thinks it's boring, or like a GT-R (which I've also owned and is also unfairly criticised) really needs to get a ride in one. The power starts so low down that when you think you should change you realise you're only half way up the rev range! It revs to 70mph in 2nd and 107mph in 3rd. When changing from 2nd to 3rd under full acceleration the tyres frequently scramble for grip - serious thrust.

It HAS got some turbo lag, but really couldn't give a toss - even before full boost you've got more power than anything else on the road, and when going for it you keep the turbos spooled up anyway. Personally i think it adds a bit of that elusive 'character' (as well as making it seem even quicker).

Turn in is razor sharp and when going for it, you have to recalibrate yourself as you'll end up turning too much. There is some dynamic trickery going on somewhere, and I need to experiment more to know what it's doing and how to exploit it.

Complaints that it's too quiet? I've got the standard exhaust, and it growls and warbles even in normal mode. Even when ambling, in built up areas people 100ft+ up the road turn to see what's coming, and under hard acceleration it's as loud as anyone would want. Must be next loudest standard system after a Fezza (AFAIK it reads 104db static at 4k rpm).

From my limited driving so far, surprisingly it also get's more attention than the Atom, and people seem very warm towards it. I went to Staples earlier today, and all the staff gathered outside to see me pull off - and gave a round of applause. Also had a few wolf-whistles. Everyone seemed to know what it was, and loved it!

As for great mpg - bollox managed sub 10mpg on a 5mile spirited run this eve.

Few minor niggles, but I've been told there will be dealer updates to evolve the car in coming weeks/months, based on customer feedback:

- Driver door needs a huge slam to shut properly
- Having no door handles looks great, but in dark colours you get lots of smudging where you've closed the doors.
- Easy to accidentally flash main beam when indicating as over-sensitive stalk
- Window switches too far back on door for easy access
- Break pedal less linear than I'd like - though under hard breaking feedback/feel is great and momentous.
- Pre-cog on gear change is a load of bollox - give me one-click.

As a nice thank you for the delays (and the fact my satnav won't be working for a few weeks more still), Mclaren have given me a personally signed Jenson and Lewis print, 32gb Mclaren branded Ipod touch, and the IRIS system for free (£5k saving). Nice!

A theme clear amongst reviewers and early adopters is that the car constants reveals itself and abilities as you drive it more. Stay tuned......

[img width=800 height=590]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2253/frontbg.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=591]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9172/photo1xz.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=594]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5042/photo4mlv.jpg[/img]

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:47 am

Lucky B*******!

Enjoyed reading that (still can't see the pics.....???? Do i have to register at image shack?) Sounds like a terrififc purchase!

Enjoy.  :vroom:

Cheers Wattie

ross

Post by ross » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 am

Nice one Rich, ta for the excellent write up.  Sounds like you're going to love owning it.

Re. The mpg, it's never going to be good when you're driving hard! Thing is it seemed to me that if you want to drive it for mpg you can as and when you want to.  Nice to know although largely irrelevant I admit ;)

I'm still not decided yet, simply because I don't have to be yet.  To be honest the biggest thing stopping me is space, I've got too many thing I want to do in the garage. 60's cafe racer is on the list at the moment...

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:00 am

Hopefully premiums will stay good for a while:

Seller in Brum  had one on ebay last week for £250k (don't know what happened to it). One on a dealer network site for £235k, someone on Maclaren life was offered £250k by a friend last week.

Mine cost £179k total so h o p e f u l l y I won't lose if I sell in 3-6months. I'd be happy to break even..

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Glad you are enjoying the car Rich  :tu:

If you fancy a few photos of car taken at Cheltenham race course like these Atom Photos ,  in lieu of passenger ride from Evesham, then drop us a PM.   

Dave
Last edited by Dave W on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi Wattie,

No need to register with imageshack, your ISP doesn't seem to be able to resolve the imageshack.us domain to an IP address

Give these a try :-

http://208.94.2.107/img192/2253/frontbg.jpg

http://208.94.2.26/img6/9172/photo1xz.jpg

http://208.94.3.18/img830/5042/photo4mlv.jpg

If these work, then it's your Cypriot ISP not giving you a decent DNS service

John
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey John,
Many thanks for the assistance yet again.unfortunately still not working....not to worry....if I can't see it I won't wanna buy one  :D
Cheers wattie

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Attachments
frontbg.jpg

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Attachments
photo1xz.jpg

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Attachments
photo4mlv.jpg

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Richard Sir.....thats one helluva car!  cant wait to see one in the flesh.  them side intakes? looks huge. i like the fact that Mclaren have made the looks a little understating than the regular agggresive 458 look. i think it looks perfect from every angle you've shot Richard. 

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Oh my god -John what have you done.

Richard, it's official I hate you....that is stunning....what a gorgeous car....it looks the absolute nuts......in women speak, that is chocolate!

This is a bit weird cos I saw the McLaren many months ago in Bahrain at riffa golf club prior to the middle eastern launch and I spent a couple of minutes looking at it and walked away.....non plussed....don't think I even looked back at it!

Yours looks sensational! Total class.

Completed gutted and now looking to sell my soul (and probably kelly's too) to the devil to fund one.

Cheers Wattie