Wanted: Headlights

Any model, wanted or for sale...
John H

Re: Wanted: Headlights

Post by John H » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="RichardR"]

I had the hard cased UK headlamps on my last car, but it seems the Factory's gone back to the rubber cased 'frog-eye' lamps:

[/quote]

I had fitted a set of these prior to my last trip to the Alps but on the way back from Atom X (first time in proper darkness) realised the brackets I had made did not really work that well giving a good light coverage of my passenger and my feet.

Since Atom X I have made a new adjustable bracket out of some aluminium bar sourced from ebay and some M8 threaded rod along with some rubber AV mounts I had in stock and the lights seem to be working much better.

I think the factory moved away from them as they kept vibrating to bits, my solution should fix this.

Ben
[/quote]
I think it was because they didn't meet the new IVA regs.
They look almost as gash anyway

payne

Post by payne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 am

What do ya'll think about these?  At 2.5" I think they will look a lot better than the tractor lights, and with a 12 degree beam they might reflect less light into the wheel and floor.  I'm thinking that these plus a wide angle light in the nose cone for near field of view would be a good lighting solution.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/crossc.html

Thoughts?

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:38 am

[quote="payne"]
What do ya'll think about these?  At 2.5" I think they will look a lot better than the tractor lights, and with a 12 degree beam they might reflect less light into the wheel and floor.  I'm thinking that these plus a wide angle light in the nose cone for near field of view would be a good lighting solution.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

They do not appear to have the correct beam pattern for low beams, so I'd say probably not the best solution.

payne

Post by payne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:44 am

Karl-  Forgive my ignorance, as I know very little about lighting, but if they have a 12 degree focus, and I mount them 7-9 degrees downward, that should give a decent light pattern, no?

What is the correct pattern required for a low beam?

Thanks,
Jason

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 am

It's a bit technical to get into on a written forum, but I'll try. I've attached a photo (shot by a user on PhotoBucket named RadioFlyerCustoms) of a proper drive-on-the-right-side-of-the-road low beam pattern. The important aspects are:
  • The top of the pattern illuminates the farthest part of the road, therefore it is also the brightest.
  • The cutoff is asymmetrical, with the part of the beam that is more likely to cause glare (left side) being cut off at a lower angle.
You can imagine that a high beam projector simply throws a cone of light onto the road, but that's fine as high beams are still adjusted to have the brightest part of the beam (the center of the cone) illuminate the farthest bits of road in front of you. If instead you take a high beam and tilt it downward, so that as little light as possible shines above the beltline of neighboring cars, you will end up with a bright spot about 100ft in front of your car, with little useful illumination beyond that point.

If this is still confusing to you, I could try drawing some more diagrams, but that takes a lot of time.
Attachments
lowbeampattern.jpg

payne

Post by payne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:08 am

[quote="Karl"]
It's a bit technical to get into on a written forum, but I'll try. I've attached a photo (shot by a user on PhotoBucket named RadioFlyerCustoms) of a proper drive-on-the-right-side-of-the-road low beam pattern. The important aspects are:
  • The top of the pattern illuminates the farthest part of the road, therefore it is also the brightest.
  • The cutoff is asymmetrical, with the part of the beam that is more likely to cause glare (left side) being cut off at a lower angle.
You can imagine that a high beam projector simply throws a cone of light onto the road, but that's fine as high beams are still adjusted to have the brightest part of the beam (the center of the cone) illuminate the farthest bits of road in front of you. If instead you take a high beam and tilt it downward, so that as little light as possible shines above the beltline of neighboring cars, you will end up with a bright spot about 100ft in front of your car, with little useful illumination beyond that point.

If this is still confusing to you, I could try drawing some more diagrams, but that takes a lot of time.
[/quote]

Karl-

Tracking now.  I have the exact same pattern on my Range Rover.  That being said, I have 35W HIDs in the fog lights (with a cone pattern)  that I normally drive with on, and noone has yet flashed me.

Does the factory Ariel headlights have a cutoff low beam pattern, or is it just a cone of light?

Do you still have the factory headlights on your Atom?

On a related note, do you have any pics of your turn signal setup?

Thanks,
Jason

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 am

[quote="Karl"]

[/quote]
Mmm..
Beam spread for a given diameter is a function of frequency if I am not too drunk...
Since we are not messing with the frequency of light, the smaller the diameter of a given light output source, the larger the beam spread yes?
Therefore, "smaller" diameter lights in effect are more likely to have larger beam divergences? Of course, the "focus" of the lens of a smaller diameter lens has a not been factored but diameter for diameter, a larger or wider beam has the ability to project farther.

Maybe I should have another Cab and give up the physics. I'm certainly way out my depth with Karl  ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:22 am

[quote="payne"]
Does the factory Ariel headlights have a cutoff low beam pattern, or is it just a cone of light?
[/quote]

The standard headlights have two settings, lo and hi beam. Three, if you count bouncing up and down like a loon.

I have added some PIAA lights to the nose of my car (and I have the solid M&P headlights). Without going nuts on expense and wiring setup, I believe that this is the best current solution, although others have custom solutions which through their own skill or depth of pocket look much better...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:41 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="payne"]
[/quote]

The standard headlights have two settings, lo and hi beam. Three, if you count bouncing up and down like a loon.

I have added some PIAA lights to the nose of my car (and I have the solid M&P headlights). Without going nuts on expense and wiring setup, I believe that this is the best current solution, although others have custom solutions which through their own skill or depth of pocket look much better...
[/quote]

To elaborate the standard lights do have a beam pattern, I know this thanks to them being so far out of line at one MOT test I had to remove them and confirm this was the case before re-aligning them.....

payne

Post by payne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:07 pm

[quote="payne"]

Thoughts?
[/quote]

I'm quite happy with these headlights.  I have a good cutoff setup in the works that will give me a clean HID cutoff and tons of light:

simonrex55

Post by simonrex55 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
I would like to change the horrendous headlights i got on my car.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

do you still have the old ones laying around? i can give them a good home for my project

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 am

hey payne where did you get the turn signal LED stick? please list product and location of where to purchase. I like the headlights too. please post info. thanks

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm

has anybody tried fitting these instead of the square EU ones? They are also Hella and come with the same m12 fastening and it is also fitted with a connector to the wiring...

Last edited by speedmachine on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

smokin

Post by smokin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:59 am

I'm considering fitting these over the winter. Will put them upfront replacing side/turn and modding the current mount arm.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/All_In_One_Headlamp_Carbon_Effect_WIth_Black_Ring_ALLIN15

Thoughts?
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK