MonsieurX

Re: Wanted: Headlights

Post by MonsieurX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 am

i think im going to go with this catalog for the rears

https://www.bike-design.com/search.php? ... tegory=306

silver

Post by silver » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm

apparently there's 2 or 3 threads that should be combined referring to the atom headlights being swapped or the bulbs being swapped.

here's my HID conversion, it's just the bulbs not the headlight casings, it does NOT blind other drivers as we are too low to the ground.

as you can see they flood the ground with light just fine, the suspension / fenders / firewall catches light but still there's plenty left over to let you drive safely at night.

Goodspeed98

Post by Goodspeed98 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 am

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/
That's where I had purchased all of the LED replacement bulbs in my Dakota...including the cluster.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I was looking at Trucklite LED headlamps, but unfortunately they're only available in 7" size as of yet.  Once they get small enough to be a replacement for the Atom headlight units, I plan to swap over and have full LED lighting for my Atom.

Starr

Post by Starr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
I would like to change the horrendous headlights i got on my car.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

www.starrhid.com
Our lights for H2 Hummers can be installed in an Atom.

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but I think they look great!

[img width=800 height=534]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/g ... G_9664.jpg[/img]

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 pm

They look utterly fantastic, but do not solve the positioning issue. I think that LED offers the winning combination of added brightness and flexibility in placement. If only they could be made a bit less than 7 inches in diameter...

silver

Post by silver » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 pm

they look like frog's eyes a bit, they look better than stock but like Karl said the position needs to be up front to truly resolve all the problems

one of the drawbacks of doing HID in stock location is the footwell is even brighter, and therefore your peripheral vision is reduced due to the brightness by your feet.

Starr

Post by Starr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00 am

[quote="Karl"]
They look utterly fantastic, but do not solve the positioning issue. I think that LED offers the winning combination of added brightness and flexibility in placement. If only they could be made a bit less than 7 inches in diameter...
[/quote]

I will speak with the owner of the Atom pictured. He recently had a several hour night time drive with them and said they are great. I will ask him to give me some specific details so I may give you a detailed review on how well the light performs and if there are any drawbacks.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:03 am

my stock lights housings are converted to HID dual hi / lo...they light up the road great, they push right through the suspension and make it safe to drive at night.

the only problem (if you wanna ask the owner of your headlights) is that the basically reflect right off the front firewall...ACTUALLY  looking at the pic your owner's side panels might also prevent that from occurring perhaps you can ask that specifically!

hondahamster

Post by hondahamster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:11 am

These lights are currently on FiestyColumbian's atom, and it might look ugly in the picture but it not that noticable of a difference, since it uses the stock housing.
Here is what we noticed so far,  :pop:

1.)Both the stock and these ones do shine some light in/on the footwell(with the side panels off), this is just the design(flaw) of the atom
2.) The fender and A-arms do interfer a tad(as they do with stock), but the majority of the xenon light is shot a lot further.
3.) Since the atom does sit lower than our hummer(which also has the lights), it does not shoot as far, but it is a good improvement over stock.
We will post some before and after shots of the install, and the gains from these lights.  :o

Personally I think the stock one's are even uglier and did a worse job at displaying light. And these are a good solution if you do a lot of night driving, like we did when we caravaned up to WCAII  :tu:
-Hamster(Fiesty's Bro)  :angel:

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 am

I like'em. how much are they? and are they a direct fit replacement?

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:39 am

[quote="hondahamster"]
These lights are currently on FiestyColumbian's atom, and it might look ugly in the picture but it not that noticable of a difference, since it uses the stock housing.
Here is what we noticed so far,  :pop:

1.)Both the stock and these ones do shine some light in/on the footwell(with the side panels off), this is just the design(flaw) of the atom
2.) The fender and A-arms do interfer a tad(as they do with stock), but the majority of the xenon light is shot a lot further.
3.) Since the atom does sit lower than our hummer(which also has the lights), it does not shoot as far, but it is a good improvement over stock.
We will post some before and after shots of the install, and the gains from these lights.  :o

Personally I think the stock one's are even uglier and did a worse job at displaying light. And these are a good solution if you do a lot of night driving, like we did when we caravaned up to WCAII  :tu:
-Hamster(Fiesty's Bro)  :angel:
[/quote]

I would like to compare these to simply changing to HID bulbs / ballasts....I have taken youtube vid's of mine at night to show how well they light up the area in front of the car..

I agree with all the items you listed as identical to what I changed.

According to the website these are around $1000, mine were under $100.

I like the way they look better than mine though, just hard to justify 10X the price unless there's something else the comparo reveals to be an advantage???

Last edited by silver on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

hondahamster

Post by hondahamster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:42 am

Well, it took all of an hour to do.   :laugh:
Yes it is a very close to a direct fit replacement, and it very easy to accomplish, all you need to is  
1.) drill an extra hole(or drill a larger existing hole for 1 more wire)  
2.) then splice 3 wires
3.) then mount the control box under the dash,
4.) and THEN plug the same OEM connector. And your done  ;D  
Silver, we also changed to HID lights from the first day we got the atom,  and Xenons are a lot better, whether they are worth the 10x better is a hard comparison.
On the hummer it was  :laugh:, especially after trailering up to WCA 1 :-[ :-\ let's just say we had a bad experience  :doh: (OEM lights were s***)

"Starr" custom built this headlight for the atom, to especially fit in the orginial housing, and was very helpful in explaining what we had to do  :tu:

-Hammy  :angel:
Last edited by hondahamster on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mobile Centre

Post by Mobile Centre » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:33 pm

[quote="Karl"]
[/quote]

LED headlights are available in a combined high and low beam 5.75" unit same as this 7" unit in the picture below, we have to wait here for the ECE approved version for use in Europe but as far as I know the US spec is ready to go.

[img width=592 height=600]http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/images/products/8700k.jpg[/img]