How to remove suspension on Atom 3.5

Any model, wanted or for sale...
Yogiatom

How to remove suspension on Atom 3.5

Post by Yogiatom » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:49 pm

I tried to take off suspension from my Atom 3.5, can not get the bolts out on the front did not even get as far as removing the rear suspension. Can some one explain what I need to do to remove both front and rear suspension.

Atlarge

Re: How to remove suspension on Atom 3.5

Post by Atlarge » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:00 am

It's not too difficult but depends on what suspension option you have on the car. If you are lucky enough to have Ohlins, maybe someone else can chime in.....

Heres a quick list / guide:
  • Remove the front body panel (Not strictly required but makes the task much easier)
  • Loosen the front wheel nuts
  • Jack up the front of the car and put the frame on axel stands (make sure you have the handbrake on, in gear & with blocks behind the rears, remove the wheels
  • Use your jack to 'load' the suspension by gently jacking under the lower arm near to the the brake disks (but not on the disk!)
  • Adjust the jack until the bolts clear the frame & bell crank & remove
The main trick is positioning the shocks or compressing them enough so that the bolts clear the frame. If you have the non-adjustable type, it's pretty easy (they are a slip fit), if you have the one way adjustable type, you may also need to clamp / compress the springs slightly to help you get them out & back in again.

Good luck!
Last edited by Atlarge on Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yogiatom

Post by Yogiatom » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:48 am

Thank you for reply.
I have Ohlins on one Atom and adjustable Bilstiens on other. I am swaping them over and selling one atom.
It looked a straight forward quick job but until you have done it a bit time consuming and tricky.
I called the factory who were very helpfull and told me I need to use shock absorber wrench and loosen off the locking nuts.
As well as jacking up both cars and putting on axle stands and removing the plastic body panels.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 am

No worries - hope it goes well. I really struggled the 1st time I attempted a similar swap (non-adjustable to the adjustable ones) but got there in the end after compressing & loosening the springs!

Out of interest - did the factory mention any difference with the Ohlins setup? When I told them I'd changed the suspension on my car (to keep their records in order) they asked if I had Ohlins as they used a slightly different bell housing - though that may be an issue only on an older car...