Nomad winter / everyday cover

Any model, wanted or for sale...
fesuvious

Nomad winter / everyday cover

Post by fesuvious » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:48 pm

If any current Nomad owner has the full cover that they bought, and no longer want....

Please let me know, if I can afford it, I might wish to buy it.

Gratuitous pic attached, cos why the hell not?
Fabric Cabin Cover.jpg
Fabric Cabin Cover.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Karl V

Re: Nomad winter / everyday cover

Post by Karl V » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Rumour has it that these things take the best part of an hour to put on / take off; and that they don't do much for getting in or out, or driving the car (like... seeing diddly squat through the wing mirrors).

Not saying they are a bad thing - far from it - but a slightly different approach could be: waterproof yourself, not the car. It's what bikers do and they are far more successful at it. Plus they have that weird walk after a long journey. Gotta love that John Wayne walk...

How's the car hunt going BTW? Are you getting closer to ownership?

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm

She is in the garage here at home. Thanks. Collected yesterday.

However only driven 5mins on test as work commitments have pulverised my life this week.

I've a few ideas of my own on weather proofing. I will be following much of your stuff Karl but trying to come up with my own ideas;

I have ideas for roof, which I now have materials on order for and also the side panels. Possibly an even quicker route to creating a quick removal way than yours. We'll see.

If these ideas fail she is booked in for a cover in September. Although I'd be keen to talk to anyone with one they wish to sell.

Be nice to save the dough to have brake bias and a winch fitted.....

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 pm

That's great news - congrats!

Enjoy the new ride...

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 pm

fesuvious wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm Be nice to save the dough to have brake bias and a winch fitted.....
Brake bias - you can manually adjust this already... having the dial on the dash is good for two purposes:
1) To fill the gap/look more cool.
2) For those, usually trackday addicts, who want to tinker with it very often while driving.

I'll be honest, both my previous car and the current Nomad have had this (and I'd spec it again perhaps), but only for reason 1.

If neither of the above are what you're thinking, save the pennies, and spend them on a whip or similar.

The above's only advice mind, you can of course do as you please.

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 am

Hiya Phil.
Thanks

She's got two whips already...

Brake bias is because I do have an ulterior motive for this Nomad. I race. The team boss/chief engineer/ chief insulter of the driver - me and I need to be able to communicate better on what a chassis is doing.

I can't think of a better way to force certain neurones, synapses and connections in my brain to engage and fire than finding a fun way to learn. I'm just the wrong side of forty and am acutely aware that plasticity decreases so I have to find a new, fun way to learn complicated things that are not within my frame of reference, nor personality type for that matter.

So. If you're a petrol head, very keen driver, and you want to learn and watch chassis & suspension interaction + weight transfer both consciously and sub-consciously on daily basis what do you do.........

You buy a Nomad!

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Karl V wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 pm Not saying they are a bad thing - far from it - but a slightly different approach could be: waterproof yourself, not the car. It's what bikers do and they are far more successful at it. Plus they have that weird walk after a long journey. Gotta love that John Wayne walk...
If you want to stay dry get sailing gear (salopettes instead of trousers). After doing 6hrs from Glasgow to Warwick in heavy rain the only bits of me that were wet were my hands and feet. The waterproof socks gave up after a couple of hours (using leather shoes instead of fabric helps) and my motorcycle gloves not long after.
fesuvious wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 am Hiya Phil.
Thanks

She's got two whips already...

Brake bias is because I do have an ulterior motive for this Nomad. I race. The team boss/chief engineer/ chief insulter of the driver - me and I need to be able to communicate better on what a chassis is doing.

I can't think of a better way to force certain neurones, synapses and connections in my brain to engage and fire than finding a fun way to learn. I'm just the wrong side of forty and am acutely aware that plasticity decreases so I have to find a new, fun way to learn complicated things that are not within my frame of reference, nor personality type for that matter.

So. If you're a petrol head, very keen driver, and you want to learn and watch chassis & suspension interaction + weight transfer both consciously and sub-consciously on daily basis what do you do.........

You buy a Nomad!
If you take the Nomad on track it would be worth getting some 18in wheels as the standard 50/50 AT tyre doesn't last long. I managed 2 charity days (not full speed as no helmets required) at Rockingham and the rears were knackered.

fesuvious

Post by fesuvious » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Over just swopped the 18's for the 16's with thee BFG MT.

Wow!

Absolutely love it. Proper hoon-mobile

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm

fesuvious wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:18 pm Proper hoon-mobile
These things should come with warnings :o

image.png
image.png (1003.5 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:43 am

If anyone has a Nomad Cabin Cover for sale or knows where I can find one or get one made, can they let me know. Many thanks.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 am

Rob

Classic Additions can make you a cover for your Nomad

https://www.classicadditions.com/

Ask to speak with Stacey and mention my name (Paul in Cyprus)

She will be able to help you
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

stupot

Post by stupot » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:09 am

I believe Rob is looking for a cabin cover as they are no longer offered by Ariel, rather than a storage cover.

I planned to have one but will be looking at local trimmers to make a roof cover only. I believe the Ariel cabin covers were made by Exmoor Trim but not spoken to them.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)