Supercharged Atom 3 Wanted

Any model, wanted or for sale...
Fastlane

Supercharged Atom 3 Wanted

Post by Fastlane » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi,

I am currently looking for a supercharged Atom 3 for around £35k. I am visiting the factory to talk to Tom on the 28th August to have my Atom cherry popped.

In terms of spec, I am pretty open as this will be a road car only. I am currently talking to the owner of this car as it fits within my budget:
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ol/8785972

Does anyone recognise it? I think it was originally owned by a chap called "Alan" and he took it down to Cyprus, if that rings any bells?

Thanks.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Supercharged Atom 3 Wanted

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm

I don't recognise the car, but, as always pass on the details to Tom or Henry at the facroty and ask them to check if they've seen the car for regular servicing and its history.

In the list of options,it doesn't mention a baffled sump - ask them to check that as it's essential if you ever want to track it.
Quite pricey to retro-fit it !

Hopefully, just an omission.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 am

Fastlane

There have only ever been 2 Atoms imported into Cyprus - the second one by me - however mine is an Atom 3.5R and it is currently sitting outside my house here as I write this!! ;D

- the first one was an Atom 245 and was imported by 'Wattie' (Iain Watts) I think in 2009?

- subsequently Iain and his wife returned permanently to the UK (taking their Atom with them) sometime during late 2012/early 2013 and (I believe?) sold it soon afterwards?

If it is now supercharged then it MUST have been back to the factory in the interim to be upgraded so if you ring the factory and ask about 'Wattie's' Atom you might get a bit more of it's history?

I notice that the current? owner profile in PH (scroll down to the bottom of the listing) states that it is an Atom 3 2013 - this makes me rather suspect that it might have been upgraded sometime during 2013? But, of course, it still should be listed by him as a 2008 car!!

FYI - Here are some Cyprus videos of that car (driven by 'Wattie') :

http://www.britishbuiltcars.co.uk/video ... /3/page:15

https://www.youtube.com/user/wattieincyprus

I hope that this helps you?

P
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:21 pm

John - Thank you. I have talked to Tom and he mentioned it had been to Cyprus. He wants to show me around what he's got in and then talk about the options available to me, including an immaculate 2010 LHD 300 from France that they have in that they could convert to RHD, although I feel will be over my budget. I know yours is there too, which looks super, but again is out of my budget. The car is being sold on a SOR return basis, but the owner (who is on a cruise at present, but has been kind enough to email me) has taken the car back to have it collected and serviced and MOTd by the factory next week, so I can hopefully see it in the flesh then. I was hoping to see it when I visit so I can ask more about it then. I have asked him if is has a baffled sump in the meantime.

Autobackup - Thank you for that, I had seen that you were Cyprus-based but it obviously wasn't your car. (I have just got back from a 2 week family holiday just outside Kyrenia, and we were in Polis last year, so I can see the appeal of owning an Atom over there, especially in TRNC where petrol is 70p/litre!) I suppose it must be Wattie's old car, although it looks very different now if it is and as you say, obvioulsy has had the supercharge upgrade.
(BTW, the profile at the bottom of the PH advert isn't of the owner of this car, but a PH member who also owns an Atom. PH put this at the bottom of lots of adverts so people can read other people's experiences with the same type of car)

The current owner says the factory will service it and MOT it. It doesn't have a handbrake on it (the factory will add a loaner on it to get it through the MOT as well as the cat.) and the tyres are pretty low, so I have said that if I did want is, I would want new tyres and a handbrake fitted, as it will be a road car only. The factory have quoted £700 for the handbrake and £612 for the tyres (Khumos now as the factory has run out of front AE048s). He said it has had north of £27k spent on options over the years.

What do you both think a reasonable price would be for the car then, assuming full factory service history, new tyres, service and 12 months MOT? The prices seem to be more on spec and mileage than age, but seemingly between £36-£40k for a supercharged 3, and £42k+ for a supercharged 3.5. Is it worth stretching to a 3.5 or is a fully optioned 3 better value? What will hold its value better should I sell it in a few years time, assuming I continue to have it factory serviced? What is involved in upgrading the 3 to 310bhp and what sort of cost is involved?

Sorry for the questions.

Thanks in advance.

930gaz

Post by 930gaz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi there, I was going to put my 3 sc up for sale can let you know all the spec if your interested.
Thanks Gazza

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I saw in the PH advert that it already has had the 3.5 steering upgrade

- the main other difference in the 3.5 is the LED upgrade to the lights which loses the standard bulb side, rear and the terrible Mickey's ear headlamps and replaces them with very efficient LED projectors and side lights/indicators at the front and multifunction side light/indicator LEDs at the back - if you look through the forum you should be able to see enough photos to compare the difference!

Many Atoms don't have a handbrake fitted - as far as I'm aware whether or not a handbrake is fitted is not an MOT issue - however IF one is fitted then it MUST work!

- as far as a catalyst is concerned there is a Atom Club CAT which is posted around the UK as and when needed - the current keeper pays for the postage/shipping onwards to whoever needs it next!

The most recent Atom Club catalyst link : http://ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 13a29fdf9d

- as far as I'm aware upgrading from 300 to 310 is simply an ECU remap but I'm not sure what would be the cost - ask Tom when you next speak to him?

As to what is a fair price - how long is a piece of string? A well kept car car with an Ariel FSH usually commands a much higher price than one without - these are ultra high performance beasts and, if poorly/inadequately maintained, can kill you in the blink of an eye! So I personally would be concerened if the factory hadn't had regular sight of it - I would recommend that you buy the best one that you can afford to haggle for - while you own it ensure that you scrupulously maintain it and it will keep it's price when you sell it on!

- HOWEVER that said there are quite a few very technically competent Atom/Nomad owners who self maintain (often modify/rebuild) their Atom's to an incredibly high standard.

You will finds full details of these tyros scattered about in the Ariel foum - often with incredibly detailed photos of their painstaking work - an Atom from one of these members I would have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever in buying!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Autobackup, thank you for your comprehensive reply. I love the idea of the "loaner" cat! According to http://www.ukmot.com/manual/3.1/Parking ... ontrol#MOT cars do need to have a parking brake to pass an MOT.

I have had some further clarification from the current owner and can confirm that it has visited Cyprus for a wedding, but not lived there. The previous owner (whose name I now now) bought the car new from Atom and it does have a FSH from the factory. As far as he is aware, it has not had the 310 ECU upgrade as the original owner liked it as is.

I have also been contacted by a forum member and am awaiting details of his car.

Thank you.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 am

All I can say is that many Atoms without a parking brake fitted appear to get through an MOT successfully - maybe this is with the help of a 'helpful' MOT station?

Again I would discuss this with Tom or, alternatively, someone without a parking brake fitted might reply to you in this forum?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 pm

I think you are probably right that many people have friendly MOT stations. Anyway, as you say, I'm sure Tom will clarify the situation.

In the meantime, GAZ930 and I have had a chat and I am hoping to see his car too, which seems to have a good spec and is well known by the factory.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the help.

Fastlane

Re: Supercharged Atom 3 Wanted - now found!

Post by Fastlane » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Well I have now seen a few Atoms, visited the factory and have decided to buy the car that I initially listed above. It was originally owned by AlanP who posts on here (he is currently waiting on a 3.5R with Sadev build I believe) and he took it to Taormina in Sicily for a wedding (not Cyprus). He sold it to the current owner last year.

The current owner had it trailered down to the factory this week to have it serviced, new Kuhmos fitted all round, a handbrake kit fitted, fuel filler pipe replaced and it is going for an MOT on Monday. I went up to the factory yesterday and had a good poke around it with with Steve Rooke, who is really nice guy who spent well over an hour with me answering any questions I had. Steve knows the car (and AlanP) well as it has been serviced by the factory every year since it was new. Although it needs a bit of a detail (my winter project) it is in very good condition with a good specification:

• 17,000 miles with full Ariel service history
• Big Alcon brakes front and rear (with newly fitted handbrake)
• Brake bias adjuster
• Quaife LSD
• Dymag wheels (in excellent condition)
• Brand new Kuhmos all round
• Carbon factory Tillet seats
• 5 point Willlans harness for driver and passenger
• Factory Carbon front and rear wings
• Cat by pass and original cat
• Adjustable Bilsteins
• Two piece spring kit
• Stainless fixings
• Aero deflectors
• Battery charger
• Passenger foot rest
• Lockable fuel cap
• TomTom Rider sat nav
• 12v lighter socket
• SPA steering wheel with shift lights
• Immobiliser
• Intercom
• Protection kits to nose, roll hoop, chassis and wishbones
• 3.5 steering upgrade
• 3.5 carbon dash panel upgrade
• 310 ECU upgrade (Steve confirmed this as the current owner wasn't aware of this)
• 2 bonnets & 2 air boxes - one black, one purple/green reflex paint

I am hoping to collect it from the factory towards the end of next week and drive it the 130 miles down to Truro :vroom: which will be my first actual drive in an Atom. I am just sorting out a helmet (a new Roof Boxxer I think) and some warm (probably skiing) clothes in readiness for the trip.

I am very excited! :)

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to being part of the forum. :tu:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Sounds like a nice car and will be properly sorted by the factory for you ..

Still no mention of the baffled sump? - I know you say you plan to use it as a road car ...

Bet you can't wait !

Take it easy ..
John
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:34 am

John Scherrer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:22 pm Sounds like a nice car and will be properly sorted by the factory for you ..

Still no mention of the baffled sump? - I know you say you plan to use it as a road car ...

Bet you can't wait !

Take it easy ..
John
Hi John,

Thanks for that - it shouldn't need anything doing to it hopefully until next year when it will go back to the factory.

It has no baffled sump, but Tom said as long as you keep the oil topped up it is fine for an occasional track day. I have no intention of tracking, so it isn't a problem for me.

Yes - can't wait now!

Cheers,

Tim.

930gaz

Post by 930gaz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi Tim,

Good to know you got sorted, bet your buzzing for pick up day

Congrats and enjoy mate.

Gazza

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:48 pm

930gaz wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 pm Hi Tim,

Good to know you got sorted, bet your buzzing for pick up day

Congrats and enjoy mate.

Gazza
Thank you Gazza - I am indeed, and thanks again for your hospitality.

Tim.

930gaz

Post by 930gaz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:16 pm

No danger any time .