SPRING DAMPERS interested members - get on the list...need 10 sets

Any model, wanted or for sale...
meladdo

SPRING DAMPERS interested members - get on the list...need 10 sets

Post by meladdo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am

This is a new list for people who want a set of the Spring dampers for their atom.

What do these do?

They are self adhesive 1mm thick rubber washers that line the small RED / Black helper springs on your suspension units. They are fitted to damp down the spring clatter you get from the springs as they slap together on the compress/ decompress cycle when going over bumps in the road. they do nothing more than this. However the result has been described as "B Road Bliss" and if you have a full screen fitted and drive without a helmet then its a more pleasurable experience and feels somewhat smoother (this is psychological though as the dampers only cut down the noise from the springs ;D)

Colours - just two!

RED - similar to the red springs not a match but makes them hardly noticeable.

BLACK - as above but for people with black helper springs.

IF your car does not have the flat coil type helper springs then these are not for you!

Price I would think will be the same as before 23.00 delivered in the UK for  a CAR SET that 12 in all 3 units per corner.

I am not being presumptuous here - a few people are starting to ask about them and want some. I WILL assume RED is the colour unless you state otherwise :tu:

Additional information on these and an excellent write up from one members experience in fitting them, along with a few pictures can be seen on this thread here http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14633.15.html

RED LIST
1. Craig Sams 1 set
2. gavstoke 1 set
3. smokin 1 set
4. Meladdo 1 set

BLACK LIST

1. Stupot 1 set

Just post in this thread and I will add you to the list :tu:

Thanks.....
Last edited by meladdo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

stupot

Re: SPRING DAMPERS interested members - get on the list...need 10 sets

Post by stupot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Stupot - 1 set in black
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 pm

OK 7 more to go......I guess :tu:

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 am

I like to have spares for everything so put me down for another set of red please Meladdo. Can't see me needing them for the current car unless I replace the helpers but you never know I might treat myself to a Mk3 some day.

Looks like getting 10 this time will be a challenge and at least I'll have a spare set should someone desperately want a set after this run.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

[quote="smokin"]
I like to have spares for everything so put me down for another set of red please Meladdo. Can't see me needing them for the current car unless I replace the helpers but you never know I might treat myself to a Mk3 some day.

Looks like getting 10 this time will be a challenge and at least I'll have a spare set should someone desperately want a set after this run.
[/quote]

My spare set have been sold now - so I better get some myself, as you say you never know :doh:

C'mon people You wont regret it ;D

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Could to confirm the material spec (is it PTFE) and thickness for the spring dampers upgrade

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm

[quote="Craig Sams"]
Could to confirm the material spec (is it PTFE) and thickness for the spring dampers upgrade
[/quote]

I believe its a weather and oil . grease resistant butyl rubber and is self adhesive with paper back - so ready to go O and Red to match the helper springs :tu:

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Just a little nudge on this - we only need another 5 sets and I can get em ordered up :tu: Ideal winter 1 hr project.

:tu:

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Not 100% sure what these are exactly as I don't have a technical mind, but what I do like the sound of is "B Road Bliss". Can someone elaborate more and if they are for my car I'll jump on board?

Thanks

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 am

??

It's described on the 1st thread at the top of this page  !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:21 am

Any news on when tape is likely to be made available, would like to fettle that anoying knock

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 am

[quote="Daniel"]
I do like the sound of "B Road Bliss". Can someone elaborate more?
[/quote]

I like noise. It tells me what's happening. I appreciate that noise=wear but what the hell.

'B Road Bliss' noise for me is clatter, rattles, exhaust, tyre squeal and wind plus a passenger whooping with delight.

But then I like my 2 220...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
??

It's described on the 1st thread at the top of this page  !
[/quote]

I imagine you have a greater understanding than I. I just wanted to understand how they work and where they go exactly. Like I said I have little technical knowledge.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:21 am

Here's an earlier thread with a description of how to fit them and some photos :-

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14633.15.html

They are self-adhesive and you cut them to fit between the coils of the helper or tender springs on each of the car's 4 shock absorbers.

This reduces the mechanical noise or clanking that you hear when the car is rolling below 30 mph caused by the spring becoming coil bound. - Compressing so much that the individual coils run out of compression room and hit each other - intentional and by design, transferring the load to the main springs.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:00 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Here's an earlier thread with a description of how to fit them and some photos :-

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14633.15.html

They are self-adhesive and you cut them to fit between the coils of the helper or tender springs on each of the car's 4 shock absorbers.

This reduces the mechanical noise or clanking that you hear when the car is rolling below 30 mph caused by the spring becoming coil bound. - Compressing so much that the individual coils run out of compression room and hit each other - intentional and by design, transferring the load to the main springs.
[/quote]

Yep indeed the springs SLAP together FAST on high frequency spring operation on poor uneven roads and IF you have a screen and no lid on its annoying and sound like something may be wrong with the car....there isnt...but its annoying and these insulate the flat coils of the RED helper springs so does NOT effect the operation of the spring just makes them do what they do QUIETLY ..... ;D :tu:

Shall I add you to the list :tu: :td: