Strangest position of a button or switch in a car

A place to be silly and pass time mindlessly
PaulP

Re: Strangest position of a button or switch in a car

Post by PaulP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Old Humbers had the fuel filler behind the rear reflectors, old Land Rovers had the filler under the passenger seat.

I had a Citroen ZX that had a digital clock that also indicated whether it was am, or pm. How spaced out would you have to be, to be driving along and look at the clock at whatever time it was and wonder, 'Is it morning or evening'? :-\

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:58 pm

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="bolus"]
Another on the Mini.  pull twice on the inside handle to open a locked door.  Most people pull once and then keep on pulling  harder until the handle breaks
[/quote]

All BMWs.  What did these people do when cars didn't have this convenience function at all, and you had to manually unlock them?  Did they just sit there holding the handle?  Were a lot of people getting stuck in their cars in the 1980s?
[/quote]

Most cars I drove in those days the door would open with a single pull on the inside handle, locked or not. The lock only prevented opening from the outside. The double pull is obviously to protect us from ourselves accidentally opening the door when it is locked. Sort of a 'nanny state' thing.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm

The process is the passenger pulls the handle, then pulls harder, then starts slamming their shoulder into the door.  Then they reach with the other hand to pull harder and hopefully by then I've told them to "pull twice" so they dont break it off.  :)

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Emergency boot release on my Griffith 500 was behind the velcroed rear number plate, pull of the plate, pull the lever, stick the plate back on!

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.