When I was a kid, I remember .....

A place to be silly and pass time mindlessly
AtomFun

When I was a kid, I remember .....

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:37 pm

1. If we had no veg for dinner my dad would go out to the garden and dig some.
2. You could get 3 45rpm records for £1. They were 6/8d each.

Alec

Re: When I was a kid, I remember .....

Post by Alec » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:58 pm

3. It was a penny return on the tram, to anywhere. (1d old money, which is 240 days of rides for a £1)
4. The streets were lit with gas lights.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:38 pm

5. Cleaning the grate of the coal fire and filling up the coal bucket which meant a trip up 2 flights of stairs.  (True and I'm only 46!)
6. TV was only in black and white.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:10 pm

7. You could get milk delivered to your letterbox. It came in glass bottles that were reused. You paid for it with tokens.
8. The family car (Austin) could just do 70mph and only if you had a really long road to wind it up.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:07 pm

[quote="wisp"]
7. You could get milk delivered to your letterbox. It came in glass bottles that were reused. You paid for it with tokens.
[/quote]

Apart from paying with tokens you can still get milk delivered here in the UK.

9. Childrens matinees at the cinemas on a Saturday morning with queues of kids right down the street waiting to get in.
10. Being able to get into the cinema in exchange for an empty jam jar or two.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 pm

There were six kids in a two bed house. I slept with my four elder sisters unitil I was 4.
We used soda pop bottles filled with hot water with a sock over it to heat up the bed at hights.
We would not get out of the bed until we could hear the coal fire in the living room in the morning.
I used to hunt rabbits in the winter with a ferret and a twelve gage shotgun for food.
Used to "guddle" tickle trout in the streams in the summer for food.
My Dad loved opera and classical music. I grew up listening to all classical and all the Italian opera greats.
We were dirt poor but I can still recite any line from any Pucini opera, cream just about anybody at the trap range with a shotgun and I can still catch trout with my hands!

Not exactly needed skill sets for life in California!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:51 am

12. We had a one galvanised metal bin with a metal lid and that was enough for our weekly waste.
13. The first record I bought was Juliette by The Four Pennies - I must have been a softy! What choreography!!

14. TV finished about 10:30pm with God Save the Queen followed by the white dot.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:29 am

15. After my bath, Nanny wrapped me in a towel and read to me from a beautifully illustrated edition of the Water Babies in front of the fire.

16. Policemen, Teachers, Postmen, and in fact any grown up in uniform or not was an authority figure and respected. We children did what we were told without argument or got a clip round the ear for our trouble.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 am

17.  I could buy a 1/4lb of Midget Gems and know that the black ones tasted right.  Now I have to buy the bloody things off the web!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:50 am

18.  My home computer could only run at 7.5MHz and had a limited colour palate.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:08 am

19. Mechanical calculators required pushing buttons and pulling a lever. Slide rules and log tables were quicker. Computers filled entire buildings and were only used by scientists.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:04 am

20.  We had to access the internet via a dial up modem and it was not very fast

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 am

21. You could only have a text conversation by mail or telex typewriter.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:16 am

22. Car seat restraint consisted of my Mother putting out her left arm across me during braking or cornering whilst the right hand holding the cigarette lightly gripped the Bakelite steering wheel, which was directly linked to the front axle by a length of steel pipe.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:04 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
22. Car seat restraint consisted of my Mother putting out her left arm across me during braking or cornering whilst the right hand holding the cigarette lightly gripped the Bakelite steering wheel, which was directly linked to the front axle by a length of steel pipe.
[/quote]

You too  ;D

23)  Visiting you Grandparents in Cornwall by getting up at 3am in the morning, laying the seats down in a Mini Clubman (white), scattering some pillows about, lying down, blankets thrown over you and the rocking motion of the car sending you back to sleep.  Finally arriving at about 1pm getting an hour with you Grandparents and then climbing back into the Clubman for the return journey.