A New Board

A place to be silly and pass time mindlessly
Bruce Fielding

A New Board

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:12 am

Welcome to the the place for fun and games. All the longest threads will likely be started here.

To celebrate this new board, I've started aq new game. It's simple. We should end up with a very long shaggy dog story made up from five words in each post. Punctuation, is allowed, of course.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

redace

Re: A New Board

Post by redace » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Now I need never visit another board again  ;D

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I know there is a way in other forum software. Can we make it so that post count does not increase from the Daft Games and Jokes section? Or am I alone in this opinion?

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:11 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
I know there is a way in other forum software. Can we make it so that post count does not increase from the Daft Games and Jokes section? Or am I alone in this opinion?
[/quote]

:tu:  :tu:  :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm

It can be done here. A simple checkbox. It's up to Bruce.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
[/quote][quote="Driver"]
[/quote]

As someone who had a high post count, once, I do not agree with this.  If people make the effort to post then they should be rewarded.  I hate it, but I do go into the sad threads and add a post just to try and keep my count up.  If someone is willing to spend hours on here then they should be rewarded with somer sort of "hero" status as sad muppet with high post count.

Get posting!  ;)  :D  ;D  ::)

PS I've just marked everything on this board as read!
Last edited by John Lloyd on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[quote="Bottoz"]
[/quote][quote="Driver"]
[/quote]

As someone who had a high post count, once, I do not agree with this.  If people make the effort to post then they should be rewarded.  I hate it, but I do go into the sad threads and add a post just to try and keep my count up.  If someone is willing to spend hours on here then they should be rewarded with somer sort of "hero" status as sad muppet with high post count.

Get posting!  ;)  :D  ;D  ::)

PS I've just marked everything on this board as read!
[/quote]

I don't think it should be counted, 'hero' status or similar should goto people who have made contributions that are meaningful to the Atom ownership experience, not a reward for knowing some film titles.  (and it will hit my post count but I don't care that much as long as I stay ahead of JL)

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:13 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]

[/quote]

[quote="benyeats"]

I don't think it should be counted, 'hero' status or similar should goto people who have made contributions that are meaningful to the Atom ownership experience, not a reward for knowing some film titles.  (and it will hit my post count but I don't care that much as long as I stay ahead of JL)

Ben
[/quote]

Remember the meaningless thread you both set up to compete to get your posts up before I even joined the forum.

Softly softly catchy monkey....
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

redace

Post by redace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:09 am

Who decides what is "meaningless" to the Atom-owning experience?

As examples of other problem areas how about the X-Bow and Cascading?  :(

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:16 am

I have never seen a decent forum that didn't have release valve for daftness in the form of threads such as the ones on this one

There isn't any way to hide them from those whose lives are far to important to waste on silliness, but maybe being forced to realise that there is more to life than gaskets isn't such a bad thing...

Quality could be improved, though... ;D
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

redace

Post by redace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 am

Quality could be improved, though...
I've tried using foreign films to bring in some culture but it never seemed to be appreciated  ;)

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:06 am

redace wrote:
Quality could be improved, though...
I've tried using foreign films to bring in some culture but it never seemed to be appreciated   ;)
I don't repeat any titles used before and try to post something relevant, such as answering a question in the previous title to make it more interesting.

I'm still struggling with being on my own for the first time in my life so spending a lot of time on here helps and the games fill in the gaps between reading and posting on other threads.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="John Lloyd"]

[/quote]

[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

Remember the meaningless thread you both set up to compete to get your posts up before I even joined the forum.

Softly softly catchy monkey....
[/quote]

That was before pretty much anyone had joined the forum, life was simpler then, the XBow had not been invented

Ben

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:03 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I have never seen a decent forum that didn't have release valve for daftness in the form of threads such as the ones on this one

There isn't any way to hide them from those whose lives are far to important to waste on silliness, but maybe being forced to realise that there is more to life than gaskets isn't such a bad thing...

Quality could be improved, though... ;D
[/quote]

I always try to bring rudery into the word association thread!  ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:26 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
I always try to bring rudery into the word association thread!  ;D
[/quote]

Using your own words as well by the look of it.  ;D