Thanks to the Great State of Oregon

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
bolus

Thanks to the Great State of Oregon

Post by bolus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 am

After all that with a crazy law made for Atom's in oregon that doesn't allow you to actually register an Atom with it, and the attitude from the DMV guy in St Helens to the DMV chick in Portland who needed to ask 20 questions before giving me a goddam trip permit last week.  Then buying a whole separate exhaust with a CAT, to stripping down my dash to install a MIL light to figuring out all the damn OBD codes

I show up tonight at emission testing and literally 20 seconds later and a 10 second OBD2 check I get my new tags.  No MIL check, no CAT check, no tailpipe test.... didn't even get out of my seat. 

So here's one to oregon.  FU to your 90 mile limit from a track and no driving on the highways!  This weekend I think I''ll drive 91 miles away from PIR and do it all on I5!!!
Attachments
FU.jpg
FU.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 2884 times

Driver

Re: Thanks to the Great State of Oregon

Post by Driver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:24 am

[quote="bolus"]
After all that with a crazy law made for Atom's in oregon that doesn't allow you to actually register an Atom with it, and the attitude from the DMV guy in St Helens to the DMV chick in Portland who needed to ask 20 questions before giving me a goddam trip permit last week.  Then buying a whole separate exhaust with a CAT, to stripping down my dash to install a MIL light to figuring out all the damn OBD codes

I show up tonight at emission testing and literally 20 seconds later and a 10 second OBD2 check I get my new tags.   No MIL check, no CAT check, no tailpipe test.... didn't even get out of my seat. 
So here's one to oregon.  FU to your 90 mile limit from a track and no driving on the highways!  This weekend I think I''ll drive 91 miles away from PIR and do it all on I5!!![/quote]

No.. No.. Tell us how you REALLY feel Bolus. :)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 am

Well, my first post had a lot more swearing in it

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:37 am

Congrats Bolus.

So this was all just to be able to drive less than 90 miles back and forth to the track?  Or will what you received legally allow more?  I've seen the prior discussions on Oregon happenings but I can't say did anything other than skim them.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 am

I tried to 'do the right thing' a while back and register under the new  law that got passed for Atoms.  This was the one that was quite a bit more restrictive with limitations on where and when you can drive and you have to only drive within 90 miles of a racetrack.  I wrote letters and spoke with lawmakers to help Brammo get it passed. 

I had previously registered the only was I could, as a kit car which has no restrictions prior to this new law. 

Oregon would not let me register under the new law and I got crap the whole way.  Like defending myself at the St Helens DMV for 20 minutes while the guy accused me of wanting to race on the street. 

So I went and passed emissions and kept the old registration with no restrictions.  I'm certainly excited but at the same time that was a whole lot of sh1t to go through for a 10 sec OBD test so I can keep on driving. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:02 am

[quote="bolus"]
I show up tonight at emission testing and literally 20 seconds later and a 10 second OBD2 check I get my new tags.   No MIL check, no CAT check, no tailpipe test.... didn't even get out of my seat.  [/quote]

Look at the bright side - if you didn't have the MIL installed, you would have flunked OBDII.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:07 am

I guess I also know if there is a problem too. 

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:13 am

Congrats Bolus!!!

Oh, ... and thanks for the edited version ...

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:58 am

Sometimes I wonder how the USA managed to get anything out of the parking lot, let alone to the moon...

Hope everyone has a great EasterZombie day... Go Jesus, the first recorded Zombie!!

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 am

Weren't there some Greek stories that had people ferrying back and forth across the River Styx/Hades?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Congrats.. and I told you so  ;D

Sounds like your trip there was just as fast as mine, except I let them sit in my car and take pictures of each other.  Too bad your tags say "10", mine say "11"  8)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Our once great country is filling up with people who believe they know what is best for everyone.

What a shame. :P

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Our once great country is filling up with people who believe they know what is best for everyone.

[/quote]

That is the bottom line isn't it?

dford

Post by dford » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote="Curator"]

[/quote]

I think you mean: "what is best for you" since the rules don't seem to apply to the rulemakers.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 pm

[quote="Curator"]

[/quote]

That description could fit the founding fathers.  Support for rebellion was far from universal.

One big difference to my mind is that it turns out they did  in large part know what's best.  I often marvel at the historic confluence of minds and executors, Jefferson, Franklin, 2 Adam's, Paine, Washington, Allen, Lee, Burr, et al  compared to our present day collection of "leaders".