conditions of sale

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Bruce Fielding

Re: conditions of sale

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm

I think this forum and the passion of the members helped the most...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:39 pm

The good new is I heard back from TMI this morning and they are going to do something about it and have taken it down for the time being. They seem to be listening to everyone and acting on this quickly  :tu:
Last edited by Caroline on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 pm

It's good to see that TMI listened to owner's comments and opinions then reacted to them, whereas Brammo just blundered on regardless and even helped to get a damning description of the Atom written into legislation in Oregon.  ::)
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 pm

The T&C's are secondary to the the issue of the Atom being "manufactured". I am speaking purely from the position of Registering the Atom in California. This has potential impact to registration in other States as well, but I am not familiar with any other States requirements.

In CA, the car can only be registered as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle". There is no other way to register the Atom in CA without making it into a Honda Accord!

Here is the basic overview of CA Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturersâ?? certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Click here for information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence . To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
All fees due.
Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 pm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if TMI is taking the steps to correct what has been brought to their attention in this thread. They have a stake in the pot after all. Maybe they'll replace the Manufactured terminology with "Specially Constructed in the USA" or something like that...

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:37 pm

they probably got a lot of questions and were thinking it would be good to just put up a note on the website not realizing that DMV officials on power trips could use it against us

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote="bolus"]
they probably got a lot of questions and were thinking it would be good to just put up a note on the website not realizing that DMV officials on power trips could use it against us
[/quote]

It would be good if TMI used the forum as a sounding board as there's a wealth of expertise on here, both about the Atom and about legal/marketing matters by the sound of it.

I'm sure that everyone would gladly help as ultimately it's all about keeping the Atom out there on the road as well as on the track.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm sure that everyone would gladly help as ultimately it's all about keeping the Atom out there on the road as well as on the track.     

HERE,HERE!!    ;)

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:08 pm

in before Bruce says hear,hear

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 pm

No,I mean HERE,HERE. Send you money here,here ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56 pm

http://www.arielatom.com/conditions-of-sale

:tu:

The Ariel Atom 3 is a unique and limited hand-built, high performance motor vehicle.  All new Ariel Atom 3s sold within the North American market are partially or fully assembled in the USA by TMI AutoTech, Inc. (â??TMIâ??).  All purchases of new Ariel Atom 3s within the USA or Canada are subject to specific terms & conditions of sale.  TMI is solely responsible for the terms & conditions applicable to the sale of any new Ariel Atom 3 within the USA or Canada.  A copy of TMIâ??s â??Terms and Conditions of Sale and Supplyâ?? is available to qualified potential Ariel Atom 3 buyers upon request and shall be provided in advance by TMI to each Ariel Atom 3 buyer.  Buyer written agreement to TMIâ??s terms & conditions is required prior to TMIâ??s acceptance of any new Ariel Atom 3 order and/or in advance of TMIâ??s issuance of any order confirmation/build queue designation.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 pm

WOW  :tu:

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:07 pm

The wording is  a LOT better than before  :tu:

I'm very impressed they acted so quickly and listen to people's concerns. I have to say all my interactions with TMI so far have been pretty stellar  :tu:
Last edited by Caroline on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 pm

So much better!  :angel: :angel:

If they can now make sure all references and inferences to "manufacturing" throughout the site are now focused on "assembly" just like this, then the next run in I have with the CA CHP will be so much easier! :laugh:

Magicman

Post by Magicman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 am

Wow. TMI rocks!  :tu: