Calif registration discussion prompted on main forum

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
dp35

Calif registration discussion prompted on main forum

Post by dp35 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 pm

I just saw this thread about a Calif Atom for sale:
http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomclub.com/phpbbnew/viewtopic.php?t=6;topicseen

Because the owner never made any effort to register it, I predict that this for sale ad will prompt some to start asking questions about how they could go about getting it registered.  The problem is, that if the seller bought it from Brammo without the proper (seperate) paperwork, it will not qualify to be registered as a kit car in Calif, ever. 

If the for sale thread evolves into a conversation revealing certain details it could be damaging to all of the other Brammo Atoms that are registered in Calif.  Calscot's experience with a CHP VIN officer last year is a perfect example of someone that would love to cause trouble with enough information. 

I think I'll PM the seller, warning him that revealing the wrong info in public could damage the value of his car, as well as others. 

bolus

Re: Calif registration discussion prompted on main forum

Post by bolus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 pm

what was the separate paperwork?  was it kit car related?  I think PM'ing him would be the best idea

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:31 am

[quote="dp35"]I think I'll PM the seller, warning him that revealing the wrong info in public could damage the value of his car, as well as others.  [/quote]

That seems wise and helpful. ^^

The minute I saw his low price, my mind immediately went into selfish mode and thought, "That would be a steal for $52k!"  He's got $10k of carbon fiber on the thing alone, plus individual seats and such.  Of course, I don't need it, but it's funny how the mind works.  ebeck, on the other hand, immediately pointed out to the seller that he has the car priced significantly under market.  This is quite kind of him, for sure, and may help to keep Atom resale values up.  But at the same time, for someone else who is in the market and wanting to jump on this deal, it would be a real kick in the pants if the price suddenly jumped way up.  The guy obviously isn't hurting for money if his Atom has been sitting idle for two and a half years, and now he needs to sell it simply to create space for something new.

If only I had the scratch at the moment, it would make a great "guest" Atom!  My trailer has a car lift installed, so I could put it right under my other Atom.  They would look so nice together!  My friends could have fun driving it for a couple of years, and then I could sell it and incur no loss.  Or I could bring it to Cayman. If only I had the scratch!

This would make the perfect Atom for Driver, as well...
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:25 am

A transferable title adds about $5k to the price of an Atom on my score card.  This Atom, at $52k is a nice deal,but not a steal.Calling it under valued is in error. I recently purchased a similar car with the same mileage,300hp,(fwiw) with a full aero package etc. for less money.(no title,just a CO) So,calling this one, at $52k under valued is not really accurate. I don't see many takers at this price...so it really is what the market will bear that actually sets prices,not what someone thinks it is worth. I buy and sell cars every week,and it does not matter what I think a car is worth,it is what the potential buyers are willing to spend that creates its actual value.  Because this car has been assigned to an individual on the Certificate of origin from Brammo,and not a dealer,it is NOT transferrable in most States.If you look at the back of the C.O.,it will be filled out to this owner under the retail sale transfer section,which means it must be titled,and the appropriate taxes paid,to have a valid transferrable title assigned to the current owner of record. That is why I will pay about $5k more for an Atom with a valid,transferrable title. ;D

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 am

Just FYI - I bought my 2nd hand atom with the mco and had to pay tax twice... once for the original owner, and again to title it in my name.

On the other hand - I already paid tax on my TMI Atom since I am a VA resident.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 am

Like I said,someone has to pay the taxes.  :P

If not the first purchaser,the second. Assuming they wish to register it for on the road use.

What's this about no tax if you are a Va resident? :o :tu:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:10 am

[quote="unknown"]
Like I said,someone has to pay the taxes.  :P

If not the first purchaser,the second. Assuming they wish to register it for on the road use.

What's this about no tax if you are a Va resident? :o :tu:
[/quote]
Lots of tax... just initially paid to TMI instead of the DMV since I am in state.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 am

I PM'd the seller, he understood that its in everyone's best interest for him not to say too much in a public forum.

Licensing is more difficult in some states than others, and thus has different values in various states.  IMO in Calif it adds more than $5K, but who knows, especially right now.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:00 pm

"IMO in Calif it adds more than $5K, but who knows, especially right now"

Yes indeed,who does know.  ;)

It is extremely hard to manipulate a market of anything,unless you own all of that item,and people are purchasing.

Right now,the used car market for specialty cars is a buyers paradise.

I have seen more bargains among,Crovettes,Vipers,M3's,Cobras,Ferraris,Porsches, Atoms, than I have in years.  I am buying. ;D ;D

There is a LOT to choose from. There is no shortage in sellers. 

So....what does that produce? Yes,students,soft prices. Sure,it sucks if you are selling,but that is the way it is.

Every current owner of a car wants it to be worth "more".  Market value is not always that kind.

The nature of business.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Sad to report that there is not much movement in Gallardo pricing. 
If I were to put an Atom up for sale I would wait until spring.