Los Angeles-area DMV SB100 preferences?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
atomathics

Los Angeles-area DMV SB100 preferences?

Post by atomathics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:22 am

Hi, everyone,

Any leading choices for DMV offices in the Los Angeles are that you've found to be knowledgeable and prepared for the January 2 SB100 crush?

I've heard good things about Simi Valley and San Clemente (though that's more Orange County...) but was wondering if there have been any good experiences closer in to the city?

Thanks!

Bruce Fielding

Re: Los Angeles-area DMV SB100 preferences?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:39 am

Is this bit of the forum club members only?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

yes or 50+ posts

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

Hi Bruce -

Yes, it is, isn't it?  I had written to you twice about Clubroom access after having paid my AAOC membership fee, but never received a reply.

Perhaps another moderator updated my status, so thank you to whomever took care of this for me and I'm looking forward to my AAOC membership and its benefits.

Back to the question, anyone have a particularly good (or bad) SB100 experience with DMVs closer to Los Angeles?

Thanks!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm

[quote="atomathics"]
Perhaps another moderator updated my status, so thank you to whomever took care of this for me and I'm looking forward to my AAOC membership and its benefits.
[/quote]

No, it was me - I just took your word as a gentleman that you had paid...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Stay away from Costa Mesa...

I went to Santa Ana, and it worked out okay.  You may want to visit some of the Cobra kit car forums for more in depth info, as they have better sample data over the years.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:37 pm

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
Stay away from Costa Mesa...

I went to Santa Ana, and it worked out okay.  You may want to visit some of the Cobra kit car forums for more in depth info, as they have better sample data over the years.
[/quote]

Thanks, Spaz, I appreciate the info!

-a

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:44 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
No, it was me - I just took your word as a gentleman that you had paid...
[/quote]

Thanks, Bruce.

The UI differences between non-Club Member and Club Member are subtle, so the Clubroom and other sections may have been available to me sooner than I thought.  I finally noticed the "Clubroom" section in the list of forums yesterday as I usually scan only the "recent posts" section at the bottom of the page.

It would be helpful to have an email be generated informing the new member of which areas of the forum have been newly unlocked.

Thanks,
-a

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 pm

Magicman is going to San Clemente. I would strongly suggest you get your arse down there as well. The Supv. there is on the ball and get's it all done right the first time. She rounds everybody in line, gets the DMV on the phone and keeps then online until she processes everybody on one phone call. Worth the trip to SC any day!

PM Magicman. He needs a partner in crime on the SB100 thingy. You can both compare notes and hold each others hands as you dream of going faster than that Cobra kit car guy in line with you at 3 am :laugh:

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:07 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
...San Clemente. I would strongly suggest you get your arse down there as well. The Supv. there is on the ball and get's it all done right the first time. She rounds everybody in line, gets the DMV on the phone and keeps then online until she processes everybody on one phone call. Worth the trip to SC any day!
[/quote]

Thanks, CalScot, that's great info.  I'll drop him a PM.

BTW, sorry to hear about the engine and subsequent issues... that just plain sucks.  Looking forward to hearing you're back on the road soon.

-a

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:41 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
PM Magicman. He needs a partner in crime on the SB100 thingy. You can both compare notes and hold each others hands as you dream of going faster than that Cobra kit car guy in line with you at 3 am :laugh:
[/quote]

Hey, hey, hey, the Cobra guys are super cool! I had an excellent chat with all of them back in 07. And its not 3am, its 8pm the night before, silly, or at least in my case :D. Ahhh the memories.

I may join all you guys right before the SC DMV opens at 8am, just to witness the how nervous and sleep deprived everyone is!
Its just down the block from me anyways and on my way to work.

Calscot, maybe you should go just to see what getting an SB100 is like, SOMETHING YOU NEVER WENT THROUGH, you lucky scottish bastard!!!  ;D

fiesty

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Definitely on my top ten list of "Most Stressfull Moments"

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 am

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
Definitely on my top ten list of "Most Stressfull Moments"

[/quote]

Oh yes, I echo this sentiment. :)

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:51 am

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[quote="CalScot"]
[/quote]

Hey, hey, hey, the Cobra guys are super cool! I had an excellent chat with all of them back in 07. And its not 3am, its 8pm the night before, silly, or at least in my case :D. Ahhh the memories.

I may join all you guys right before the SC DMV opens at 8am, just to witness the how nervous and sleep deprived everyone is!
Its just down the block from me anyways and on my way to work.

Calscot, maybe you should go just to see what getting an SB100 is like, SOMETHING YOU NEVER WENT THROUGH, you lucky scottish bastard!!!  ;D

fiesty[/quote]

Now you know CalScot wouldn't do it half way fiesty. It's just not in his DNA. Can't you just see him standing there behind his 2 burner cooker (although most strangers would swear he's sitting) with bacon frying and a hot pot of Joe percolating. Nobody would get by without being served eggs, bacon and a cup o coffee. But what would mere mortals take from this?  If you go down to laugh at those poor suckers in line, er... ahem... if you go down to commiserate with those unfortunate individuals waiting for a SB100 exemption... yeah thats it... at the very least take a box of donuts.  ;D

hondahamster

Post by hondahamster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 am

yeah, lets not forget about this topic from 2 years ago, huh Fiesty! http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3424.0.html
ahhh, reading this stuff makes me feel so old ::)  :'(
-HaSmter :laugh: