Anyone try Montana?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
jrz1

Anyone try Montana?

Post by jrz1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Advantages no sales tax and no personal property tax and no emissions tests.  You can set up LLC there for around $1000 and title it as a company vehicle.

bolus

Re: Anyone try Montana?

Post by bolus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:01 pm

We haven't heard of anyone.  They do have rules for kit cars though.  that's usually the best bet
http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/forms/mv121.pdf

jrz1

Post by jrz1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:02 pm

Cool!  Had looked at the web site but didn't see this.

jrz1

Post by jrz1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 am

For anyone wondering, my law firm told me they had registered an Atom for another client in Montana so apparently it's been done!

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 am

I've recently set up a Montana LLC for my motorhome.  It was a dead simple process.  The total fee was $1,085 for the LLC itself and then another $254 for the license and registration of the motorhome for a year.  The company that I worked with in setting up the LLC dealt directly with the motorhome manufacturer, so when I showed up in Idaho to pick it up, the title, registration, and plates were all waiting for me.

There was really no advantage of adding my Atom (licensed in Florida) or any other previously registered vehicle into the LLC.  In fact, the annual license and registration fees in Montana would be considerably higher than they would be in Florida.  But of course had I created the LLC last year before buying the Atom (and paying Florida sales tax on it), then it would have been a no brainer in terms of adding it in as an asset of the LLC.

In my case, Montana is as defensible as any state since I live in the Cayman Islands and have no residence in the US other than the motorhome itself.  From the reading that I did prior to forming the LLC, it appears to be a somewhat controversial issue in certain states, such as Colorado, Nevada, New York, Virginia, and perhaps some others who are vigilant in terms of collecting sales tax that they feel is due to them from their residents.  I plan to store my motorhome in Montana most of the time when I'm in Cayman, but that's really just a measure of precaution such that no other state will be able to stake a claim to it.
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.